Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
AscenZ
AscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-books

Device: Onyx Boox i86
Onyx Boox i86 at Hong Kong Exhibition

Just came across this report. Onyx was exhibiting at HKTDC this year earlier this month. I really like this new design of i86 with two page buttons on the left and a home button in the bottom. The frontlight seems pretty uniform too (except for the top part in the 4th pic.) Cannot wait till the first review of this model. I am debating between i86 and M96. In fact, they are doing a survey right now about their next 9.7 inch ereader.

http://gz.zol.com.cn/484/4845677.html
AscenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
They're doing a survey of their next large reader? Can you give us more info on this? Can you participate online? Thanks!
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
AscenZ
AscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
They're doing a survey of their next large reader? Can you give us more info on this? Can you participate online? Thanks!
Here is the link. http://www.wenjuan.com/s/yeiIZj

They are basically inquiring the preference for touchscreen, removable battery, battery capacity, front light, physical button etc. But it's in Chinese but very understandable using Google Translate.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AscenZ View Post
Here is the link. http://www.wenjuan.com/s/yeiIZj

They are basically inquiring the preference for touchscreen, removable battery, battery capacity, front light, physical button etc. But it's in Chinese but very understandable using Google Translate.
Thanks a lot! A little question: How did you get Google Translate to translate the whole survey? Here, only the intro text gets translated, the rest (the actual questions) stays in chinese. Tried both Google and Bing translators
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
AscenZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Thanks a lot! A little question: How did you get Google Translate to translate the whole survey? Here, only the intro text gets translated, the rest (the actual questions) stays in chinese. Tried both Google and Bing translators
I am using Google Chrome. I just right clicked on the page and selected "Translate into English".
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Some news about i86:

the biggest consumer for Onyx devices is their domestic market. They decide what kind of devices they are going to produce in first line dependent on orders of their domestic sellers. At the moment there are orders for i86 without front light only. We were not going to place orders for i86 without front light, but we cannot meet their MOQ inquiries and need to wait for bigger bulk orders.

I am testing currently a sample i86 with front light. It works very satisfactory . The only thing I didn't like - the front light is not as uniform as on T68 devices. In bottom area you can see some slightly brighter spots near to LEDs. Some users could sense it as disturbing.
What I like very much - their IR multi point touch screen - it obviously do not affect the actual screen and therefor contrast ratio is very good.
I am going to make a short video review soon

I am also testing currently new M96C with capacitive multi touch. I am actually very impressed by this device too. I am going to place an order for small quantity of those devices for beginning of the next year. If you don't need stylus for handwritten annotations, but used to multi touch controlling of tablets, it could be probably good alternative for current devices or tablets.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-06-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Some news about i86:

the biggest consumer for Onyx devices is their domestic market. They decide what kind of devices they are going to produce in first line dependent on orders of their domestic sellers. At the moment there are orders for i86 without front light only. We were not going to place orders for i86 without front light, but we cannot meet their MOQ inquiries and need to wait for bigger bulk orders.

I am testing currently a sample i86 with front light. It works very satisfactory . The only thing I didn't like - the front light is not as uniform as on T68 devices. In bottom area you can see some slightly brighter spots near to LEDs. Some users could sense it as disturbing.
What I like very much - their IR multi point touch screen - it obviously do not affect the actual screen and therefor contrast ratio is very good.
I am going to make a short video review soon

I am also testing currently new M96C with capacitive multi touch. I am actually very impressed by this device too. I am going to place an order for small quantity of those devices for beginning of the next year. If you don't need stylus for handwritten annotations, but used to multi touch controlling of tablets, it could be probably good alternative for current devices or tablets.

Send me a link when you post the video.

Also, can you share the specs?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
I am going to make a short video review soon.

Could you please make video of M96C too?
Ideally it would be great to have both: stylus and capacitive touch. And larger screen like Sony DPT-S1...

Any idea about M96C pricing? Any other differences in specs? Any chance we could make orders before the end of the year?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Nate the great: I will try to take a short video of both devices tomorrow
@fgdas: I am also asking for this option (both touch techniques) for long time already. They found idea interesting, but realisation is still not in their task list. We will be the first seller world wide for M96C. If we see that demand for such devices is there, we will try to push them to produce M9X with both touch panels. The difference in specs of M96 and M96C is in the touch panel only, the rest is the same. Price of M96C will be the same as M96 with stylus. Scheduled delivery time for M96C - January 2015

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-07-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
The difference in specs of M96 and M96C is in the touch panel only, the rest is the same. Price of M96C will be the same as M96 with stylus. Scheduled delivery time for M96C - January 2015
If the specs are the same then why not drop M96 from offer and sell M96C with capacitive stylus instead? Just a suggestion

----

Report bugs on Boox M96 Wishlist page

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 11-07-2014 at 06:19 AM.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
If the specs are the same then why not drop M96 from offer and sell M96C with capacitive stylus instead? Just a suggestion

----

Report bugs on Boox M96 Wishlist page
Capacitive touch and styluses are not really adapted for accurate handwriting. Many users don't want to miss the ability for handwriting though.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
@fgdas: I am also asking for this option (both touch techniques) for long time already. They found idea interesting, but realisation is still not in their task list. We will be the first seller world wide for M96C. If we see that demand for such devices is there, we will try to push them to produce M9X with both touch panels. The difference in specs of M96 and M96C is in the touch panel only, the rest is the same. Price of M96C will be the same as M96 with stylus. Scheduled delivery time for M96C - January 2015
Excellent, looking forward to see your new videos.

As you know Onyx is running questionnaire about new M97 and one of the questions is a dual touch. I hope for capacitive touch - pen only is useless for musicians...

If the hardware is same (except for touch) will there be any software updates? Maybe Android 4.2 like in Onyx Boox AfterGlow 2?

Any info on even larger screen (12-13inch)?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #13
fozzedout
Guru
fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M96, Kindle Basic 2014, Onyx T68 Lynx, Icarus Illumina E653
Damn, an M96 with stylus or capacitive. That really isn't fair for choice

... I've got an M96 on the way, do I also save up for the M96C now as well?

Hmmm... if they make it to have stylus AND capacitive, then, yes, it would be a must have purchase. Just take my money!
fozzedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Looking forward to these videos Booxtor!
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #15
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzedout View Post
Damn, an M96 with stylus or capacitive. That really isn't fair for choice

... I've got an M96 on the way, do I also save up for the M96C now as well?

Hmmm... if they make it to have stylus AND capacitive, then, yes, it would be a must have purchase. Just take my money!
The Hanvon E920 and E930 support both stylus and touch. The E930 is based on Android, but a closed version (you can't install apps). Unfortunately these devices are not widely available in the West, and support is nonexistent. You can buy them on Ebay/Aliexpress/Taobao.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote