Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #931
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jangell2: The *automatic downloading* of an OTA update, not the actual launching of one .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-29-2014 at 04:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #932
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Doesn't that mean it would interfere with the update?
That's the purpose of creating the folder, correct?
No.
That file is on user storage, not in the main filesystem image that an image file will update.

No.
The purpose is to block the resumption of downloading the update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #933
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No.
That file is on user storage, not in the main filesystem image that an image file will update.

No.
The purpose is to block the resumption of downloading the update.
Uh, ok.

Let me ask more simply, will the folder prevent Amazon updating the OS on my Kindle?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #934
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have only used CM to import collections from Calibre, but these questions about how to use it have made me want to try also. When I open CM and tap on a collection, am I supposed to then see the books in the collection?

I ask, because I don't. CM lists the names of the collections and right below the name, the number of books in the collection. However, when I tap on the collection, no books show.

Is it supposed to be this way?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #935
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Uh, ok.

Let me ask more simply, will the folder prevent Amazon updating the OS on my Kindle?
Yes.

You know how Chrome downloads usually are random-number.crdownload until it finishes downloading, then it gets renamed to the correct name? Same concept. KindleOS uses downloadname.partial and this folder will block the download from being downloaded.

You can still sideload an update and it will run.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #936
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jangell2: Depends on your settings. Check your filtering settings in the Display menu of CM (that's basically the reverse of what we were discussing just a page ago ).
Old 05-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #937
jangell2
Addict

I've got CM importing collections from Calibre which were created by the Collections Plugin using a custom column. However, I have this one book which is showing up in the wrong collection. In addition there is another book showing up in two collections. One I have specified, and one I have not.

I have verified that the books have the correct collection specified in Calibre.

I don't know if this started the problem, but when I first setup up the books in Calibre, I specified a series for these two books. I accidentally began the series name with a period space and sent them to the kindle. When I noticed what I had done, I corrected the series name and resent them.

I begin my collections with a period space. I forget why I do this, but it started with my kindle keyboard and I'm pretty sure I picked it up on this forum. Something to do with getting the collections to sort properly.

Any ideas why these two books of a series are: 1) one is in two collections, one of which is the right collection; and 2) one is in one collection and it isn't the right collection?

Have I made myself sufficiently obscure?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #938
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is the period space ". " names - almost for certain.
(Unless you are escaping the space character.)
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #939
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jangell2: CM's import will *never* delete a collection, so, if you ran the import after each tweak, that would explain the book in two collections thing.

As for the the other one, the exact metadata involved would help pinpoint the issue. But I'd expect it's the same kind of thing than the first one, a remnant of the first bogus sync, and since CM never deletes collections, you've just noticed the stray 'broken' one.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #940
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jangell2: CM's import will *never* delete a collection, so, if you ran the import after each tweak, that would explain the book in two collections thing.

As for the the other one, the exact metadata involved would help pinpoint the issue. But I'd expect it's the same kind of thing than the first one, a remnant of the first bogus sync, and since CM never deletes collections, you've just noticed the stray 'broken' one.
The CM import never deletes a collection? If on Calibre I were to zero out the customs collections column for a particular collection, generate the collections via the plug-in, and than import using CM, would I have a collection with zero books in it? If I were to change the custom collection column for a book to another collections and than repeat the above process, would the book be moved to the other collection?

I'm thinking what I have to do is to delete both of these problem collections using CM, then create the collections using the plug-in, then import using CM. Does that sound like something that will fix the problem.

BTW, when deleting a collecting using CM, that only deletes the collections and not the books in it?
Old 06-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #941
jangell2
Addict

I did what I suggested above, I deleted the collections via CM, created the collections with Calibre/Plugin, imported collections with CM. And now the two books are only in the correct collection.

I have answered at least one of my questions above: deleting a collection with CM does not delete the books in the collection.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #942
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup. Neither would deleting a collection from the Kindle's default UI .

As for CM, I can't really be clearer than "doesn't delete collections, ever" without going into every possible use case . That means it doesn't delete non-CM managed collections either, for example. And that means that every collection managed by Calibre is rebuilt from scratch on import to exactly match what Calibre exported.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #943
mfsav2
mfsav2 began at the beginning.

Question: CM closes on my new PW (5.4.3.2) saying is not supported...
well is not in the list on post 1 so I gave it a try...

but there is any ETA to support the 5.4.3.2?

I love CM and use it on all my kindles
mfsav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #944
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsav2 View Post
Question: CM closes on my new PW (5.4.3.2) saying is not supported...
well is not in the list on post 1 so I gave it a try...

but there is any ETA to support the 5.4.3.2?

I love CM and use it on all my kindles
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=901
Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #945
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup. Neither would deleting a collection from the Kindle's default UI .

As for CM, I can't really be clearer than "doesn't delete collections, ever" without going into every possible use case . That means it doesn't delete non-CM managed collections either, for example. And that means that every collection managed by Calibre is rebuilt from scratch on import to exactly match what Calibre exported.
You say that CM never, ever deletes collections? You mean during an import, don't you? Because CM has a Delete Collections button.

I don't think I understand the distinction between a CM managed and non-CM managed collection. If I had used the kindle interface to create a collection, CM could still manage it, add books to it, or delete it, right? No matter who created the collection, isn't it just a collection?

I hope I don't come across as argumentative, just trying to understand as much as I can.

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks