Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
K3 sometimes won't charge

Anyone else had a problem with a K3 which is sometimes reluctant to charge? Very often I have to make two attempts before anything happens -- after an overnight session the back is still cool (should be warm when charging) and I have to unplug and plug in again for another 5 or 6 hours, when it gets warm and the green light then finally appears.

Been like this for a while, and the unit is 'way out of warranty. Anyone else shed any light on this?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Can you try it with a different charger, just in case it's the charger that's the problem and not the Kindle? Does the same thing happen when charging via USB?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Can you try it with a different charger, just in case it's the charger that's the problem and not the Kindle? Does the same thing happen when charging via USB?
There's no way to charge a Kindle except via USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I mean charging the Kindle with a mains charger, and charging the Kindle via the USB socket on a computer. Yes technically they both are USB but there are differences, better to charge with a mains charger if you are having problems, but worth checking both ways, no?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly; I agree. If it doesn't charge with the wall charger, but does charge via the PC, that would indeed suggest that the charger is faulty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
No definitely not the charger -- it happens whether I charge from either of two laptops, or from a 12v charger or a 220v one. Also with either the supplied Amazon cable, or an alternative one, and I always ensure that the plugs are well seated.

So by elimination, the problem is inherent to the Kindle itself.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
No definitely not the charger -- it happens whether I charge from either of two laptops, or from a 12v charger or a 220v one. Also with either the supplied Amazon cable, or an alternative one, and I always ensure that the plugs are well seated.

So by elimination, the problem is inherent to the Kindle itself.
I had this problem with one of my K3s. Try doing a reset by sliding the power button and holding for about 25 seconds then let go. The Kindle will reboot and I think it also resets something to do with charging. It may fix your problem.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Even if it's out of warranty, you could still give Kindle support a call. They may be able to get you taken care of, or at least offer some kind of discount on an upgrade or something (if that's an option for you at present moment).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
russianfiction
Expert
russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Try to unplug it and replug. You might have to wait sometime
russianfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If a reboot doesn't help, a Factory Reset might.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Do you leave your wi-fi or 3G turned on? I could see that having an effect at times possibly. I always turn my wi-fi off when not trying to download something to save on the battery. Things like the game apps also might slow things down if you are playing while its trying to recharge.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have had this problem too. I have been wondering if the yellow light turns on before the cord is really seated in the socket (of the kindle), so I wiggle it around and push it in deeper now. I have only done this once so I do no yet know whether this will solve the problem. I have had a K3 since they first came out and have only noticed this problem in the last 3 months or so. Maybe the socket is getting loose?
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, my K3 is *very* finicky about charging, and has been from the start. I can almost never get it to succesfully pass the 'I'm really a high-speed USB device' check when connected to a computer, so I *have* to use the wall charger for a proper charge, but, so far, I've never had any issues that way.

FYI, here's what it looks like when it ends up as a full-speed instead of high-speed device:
Spoiler:
Code:
[189206.019022] usb 1-6: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci_hcd
[189206.936002] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: port 6 reset error -110
[189206.937784] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: port 6 reset error -110
[189206.939551] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: port 6 reset error -110
[189206.941329] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: port 6 reset error -110
[189206.944007] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: port 6 reset error -110
[189206.944785] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
[189207.145024] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 6
[189207.461031] usb 5-2: new full-speed USB device number 5 using uhci_hcd
[189207.589697] usb 5-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
[189207.626756] scsi11 : usb-storage 5-2:1.0
[189208.633728] scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kindle   Internal Storage 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[189208.643711] sd 11:0:0:0: [sde] 6410688 512-byte logical blocks: (3.28 GB/3.05 GiB)
[189208.753713] sd 11:0:0:0: [sde] Write Protect is off
[189208.753716] sd 11:0:0:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 0f 00 00 00
[189208.863713] sd 11:0:0:0: [sde] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[189209.102712]  sde: sde1
[189209.333714] sd 11:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I had a similar problem when I tried to charge my K3 with my phone charger. The orange light would come on, but the K3 would not charge. I could charge my phone with the K3 cord, not the other way around.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
My K3 has gotten finicky about charging, I often have to wiggle the cord as it fits into the Kindle.

I'm guessing the build quality on them wasn't terribly high...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote