Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #46
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Coriander (ground or not) and cumin are entirely different spices aren't they? I certainly make recipes that call for both cumin and ground coriander, which wouldn't make sense if they were the same thing.
cumin is from the cilantro plant, and it is the powdered form. when I use coriander, I take the big seeds, put them in my pestle and just break them up. I could be all wet, frequently am
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #47
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
cumin is from the cilantro plant, and it is the powdered form. when I use coriander, I take the big seeds, put them in my pestle and just break them up. I could be all wet, frequently am
It may be an American thing that I'm not aware of, but cumin and coriander are different here in the UK.

See this site as an example. I can't find any sites that say that cumin and coriander are the same thing (although several point out that they are similar in taste and usage).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...I think what you got largely depended on where you went to basic. I was at Ft. Jackson
Me, too. Company C-9-2, January/February 1968. I was 17 years old.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #49
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I don't even remember which company I was in! and it wasn't as long ago! actually I was in two companies, I got bronchial pneumonia, ended up in the hospital and was recycled
Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #50
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
It may be an American thing that I'm not aware of, but cumin and coriander are different here in the UK.

Actually, cilantro and coriander are the same plant. Cumin is a different plant, entirely.

Here in the states, the leaves are usually referred to as cilantro and the dried seeds as coriander.

Wikipedia entry for Coriander
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #51
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
kindlekitten
...I think what you got largely depended on where you went to basic. I was at Ft. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I too went to Jackson. At the time there were essentially 2 Army training Forts.
Jackson and Dix.

Jackson was warmer. Dix colder.
Jackson was also tougher from all reports at the time. (Of course I would agree.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't even remember which company I was in! and it wasn't as long ago! actually I was in two companies, I got bronchial pneumonia, ended up in the hospital and was recycled
I got two upper respiratory infections. After the second, I couldn't run ¼ the way around the track for the qualifications. The next day I was feeling a bit better, but was penalized for my performance on the track by being made to run up and down the company while the company jogged 7 miles to the rifle range. The day following that I was back in the hospital for a third stay—this time with pneumonia. It's nothing short of astounding that with all of this occurring within an eight week period I wasn't recycled. The only thing that saved me was that trainees at Ft. Jackson at the time were dropping dead from spinal meningitis during training, and the Army wanted to get as many people as possible through basic before it became a public scandal.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I too went to Jackson. At the time there were essentially 2 Army training Forts.
Jackson and Dix.

Jackson was warmer. Dix colder.
Jackson was also tougher from all reports at the time. (Of course I would agree.)
Although I only have Ft. Jackson to go by, I would believe that. And C-9-2 was one of the toughest at Ft. Jackson. We lived in the sand pits. Evidently the First Sergeant thought he was at Parris Island.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #54
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
Actually, cilantro and coriander are the same plant. Cumin is a different plant, entirely.

Here in the states, the leaves are usually referred to as cilantro and the dried seeds as coriander.

Wikipedia entry for Coriander
I've been under the wrong impression since for ever!!!

Quote:
I got two upper respiratory infections. After the second, I couldn't run ¼ the way around the track for the qualifications. The next day I was feeling a bit better, but was penalized for my performance on the track by being made to run up and down the company while the company jogged 7 miles to the rifle range. The day following that I was back in the hospital for a third stay—this time with pneumonia. It's nothing short of astounding that with all of this occurring within an eight week period I wasn't recycled. The only thing that saved me was that trainees at Ft. Jackson at the time were dropping dead from spinal meningitis during training, and the Army wanted to get as many people as possible through basic before it became a public scandal.
oh wow! very similar story! I came from Colorado to Jackson in February, so essentially from hardly ever more than 7% humidity to an average of what... 70% plus? I got sick, kept going to sick call, would get robitussin and told to go back to duty. every day I got sicker and sicker... I will never forget standing in morning formation and feeling the freezing humidity going into my lungs as I would start that horrid barking cough. I kept getting accused of "malingering". finally I passed out in the mess hall and didn't snap out of it. I woke up in the ER with a 105 fever. part of the brilliant treatment while in the hospital was being forced to sit in the freezing hallway and drinking ice water to make my fever come down. my drill sgt. DID come apologize to me. I was either a week or ten days in, can't recall. fortunately I was able to pick up with a platoon that was at the same day in training as when I went into the hospital and I didn't have to start from the beginning. it was still pretty tough as I was pretty weak and not entirely healthy
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

If I recall correctly, my fever also hit 105, but no one came to apologize. All I got out of it was a forced cold shower, which is the last thing is the world you feel like taking when your temperature's that high.

No passing out, though.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #56
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I recall correctly, my fever also hit 105, but no one came to apologize. All I got out of it was a forced cold shower, which is the last thing is the world you feel like taking when your temperature's that high.

No passing out, though.
They were idiots acting out a play that had been written long ago with floggings and other means of strong arm coercion.

That was why they were so jumpy and would get glassy eyed about "rounds missing" or hidden somewhere.

We had a hundred rifles, cleaned, well oiled and ready to go in the racks, over by each Barracks' back door, and were trained well in their use.

Last edited by frahse; 10-20-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm not complaining about the cold shower. When your temperature's that high, drastic measures are called for to get it down. What I thought was idiotic was putting an obviously very sick young soldier through measures that were all but guaranteed to lead to hospitalization. Those fools could have killed me.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...I kept getting accused of "malingering". finally I passed out in the mess hall and didn't snap out of it. I woke up in the ER with a 105 fever....
Quote:
...No passing out, though....
I completely forgot about the mess hall incident during basic training. I was pulled from the line and put on the serving line. I don't know if it was the smell of the food (SOS perhaps?) or what, but I soon passed out and was taken outside to revive. But it was not nearly as severe as what you describe. I was only out for maybe a minute.

The only other time in my life I've ever passed out was in Vietnam, but that had nothing to do with the smell of army food. Some of the guys needed me to play basketball to make an even number of players on each team. I was feeling bad that day too, but the pharmacist (I was a medic) very helpfully supplied me with something to make me feel well enough to play. After a few minutes I was feeling faint, so I sat down and put my head between my legs, then went crashing face first into the concrete.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #59
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
I completely forgot about the mess hall incident during basic training. I was pulled from the line and put on the serving line. I don't know if it was the smell of the food (SOS perhaps?) or what, but I soon passed out and was taken outside to revive. But it was not nearly as severe as what you describe. I was only out for maybe a minute.

The only other time in my life I've ever passed out was in Vietnam, but that had nothing to do with the smell of army food. Some of the guys needed me to play basketball to make an even number of players on each team. I was feeling bad that day too, but the pharmacist (I was a medic) very helpfully supplied me with something to make me feel well enough to play. After a few minutes I was feeling faint, so I sat down and put my head between my legs, then went crashing face first into the concrete.
B12?

I've only passed out twice since (other than from concussions) once was the day after my Grandmother passed (I had taken care of her), I was at a Highland festival that my daughter and I were competing in. when they did a lament and read off the names of those deceased in the last year, my legs just buckled and I was gone... the second was an end of year ski school party, someone passed some BC Bud, I was in a f*ck it sort of mood so indulged. I didn't quite pass oout, I remained upright, and the house very slowly spun 90 degrees and I took a peaceful little sojourn elsewhere hadn't indulged in over 20 years and that was NOT what I was expecting!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #60
frahse
occasional author

WT Sharpe

The fear of "RECYCLING"

The nightmare!

We had some troops in the company that had been recycled and and theirs were pitiful tales. A few had been recycled multiple times.

Toward the end of basic, I hurt my leg. Don't remember how, but I became fearful of the mile run in the final test. I didn't know how it would hold up. I ran track in school, but hurt is hurt.
I ended up running that mile with sort of a hop and a skip very exaggerated limp except I was running fairly fast. Many people turned to see, but I made the time easily. That was a good feeling. To overcome the obstacle.
To not have to be RECYCLED.