Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Problem with block indentation on conversion to mobi

Hi all -- I've been preparing a story for upload, including to the Kindle store, and I ran across a problem I've not noticed before. I have a block of quoted text that's indented from both left and right. The indentation looks good in Word, in html, in epub (at least in ADE), but not in mobi.

The mobi version displays with no indentation on the right, so the thing looks lopsided. This is true in K4PC and in Kindle previewer, and in Mobi Reader.

I saw one website stating that Kindle does not support right indentation. That would seem weird, but is it true?

(Also, the epub shows the same behavior in the Calibre viewer. But it's okay in ADE.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Hi all -- I've been preparing a story for upload, including to the Kindle store, and I ran across a problem I've not noticed before. I have a block of quoted text that's indented from both left and right. The indentation looks good in Word, in html, in epub (at least in ADE), but not in mobi.

The mobi version displays with no indentation on the right, so the thing looks lopsided. This is true in K4PC and in Kindle previewer, and in Mobi Reader.

I saw one website stating that Kindle does not support right indentation. That would seem weird, but is it true?

(Also, the epub shows the same behavior in the Calibre viewer. But it's okay in ADE.)
Yoe need to use 1 or more nested <blockquotes> to achieve this.
I believe Calibre conversion of EPUB->Mobi would take care of this
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yoe need to use 1 or more nested <blockquotes> to achieve this.
I believe Calibre conversion of EPUB->Mobi would take care of this
Do you mean create my mobi from the epub, rather than the html? Tried that, doesn't work. (I mean, it gives the same result.)
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
theducks is right in that the only way to achieve margins in mobi is with <blockquote>. But Kindle renderers do not render right margins on blockquotes. So you will get only left margins.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

No, I don't think that's the solution (unless I'm misunderstanding). I went back to the html and added blockquotes around the paragraph that was already marked as a blockquote CSS style. Same result. Added another set of blockquotes around it. Same result.

This website says that Kindle formatting doesn't support right margins...

http://kindleformatting.com/faq.php#faq8

Quote:
How do I make a right margin on my blockquotes?

The Kindle does not allow right margins. Blockquotes will be indented from the left automatically, but there is no way to set an indentation from the right.
I was hoping they were wrong, but I'm starting to think they're right.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
theducks is right in that the only way to achieve margins in mobi is with <blockquote>. But Kindle renderers do not render right margins on blockquotes. So you will get only left margins.
Ah, cross-posted. Yes, I see that's right. Seems like an odd deficiency, but I guess I need to find another solution.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Problem with block indentation on conversion to mobi

Quote:
Ah, cross-posted. Yes, I see that's right. Seems like an odd deficiency, but I guess I need to find another solution.

Thanks.
Maybe a centered graphic would work for you (if you can find a font size that looks ok no matter what the person reading it does to the font size his reader displays).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Maybe a centered graphic would work for you (if you can find a font size that looks ok no matter what the person reading it does to the font size his reader displays).
I suppose that might work for a few words, but I pretty much consider text-as-graphic to be avoided even more than misaligned text. Unless it's a fancy header or something.

I think I'll either live with the misalignment, or remove the indentation altogether and italicize the paragraph.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Problem with block indentation on conversion to mobi

Quote:
I suppose that might work for a few words, but I pretty much consider text-as-graphic to be avoided even more than misaligned text. Unless it's a fancy header or something.

I think I'll either live with the misalignment, or remove the indentation altogether and italicize the paragraph.
Understood. Perhaps a combination of a blockquote, italics and a smaller size to the font would set it off nicely? Good luck.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can't you use a table for the block quote?
Table width less than 100% and aligned center.
And margins on both sides of the table.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post
Can't you use a table for the block quote?
Table width less than 100% and aligned center.
And margins on both sides of the table.

George
Kindle doesn't support tables, either. (Or so I've read.)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Kindle doesn't support tables, either. (Or so I've read.)
There is some support, but rendering varies significantly between different readers and apps. In general, they should be avoided. More importantly, Kindle publishing guidelines state that tables should never be used for formatting.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tables are not forbidden in general.
There is some information at the Mobipocket Developer Center at
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...ile=tables.htm
Quote:
"Table tags have to be used only when displaying tabular data and not like in Web page authoring for layout purposes. There is no exception to this rule."
If you consider the block quote as content of a cell, that means tabular data, and the table is not empty just for layout purposes, then I would say it is OK.
But:
Quote:
"Table parsing and display is very CPU intensive and is slow compared to any other HTML tag. Moreover, the Mobipocket reader can handle tables that are larger than the screen but the user experience becomes worse as the table size grows. You should therefore avoid large tables."
And:
"A table with a lot of text in one cell will not work well. If a single table cell does not fit into the screen, it will not be paginated and content will be lost."

So I would give it a try for just a block quote.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote