Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Tablet Rollout Schedule: Buy Now or Wait?

By some estimates there were over 100 tablet computers announced or presented at CES this year. With the rumored, camera-equipped, Apple iPad 2 likely to make an appearance in the first half of the year, is this the right time to buy a tablet or are you better off waiting for the new iPad or one of many attractive new Android tablets? To make it easier for you to decide, we put together a chart showing some of the hotter tablets along with estimated release dates.

http://shop.retrevo.com/m/tablet/c2001?buynowlist
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I'm going to wait for a cheap android tablet.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
I'm going to wait for a cheap android tablet.
I already have my cheap Android tablet - a Nook Color.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I already have my cheap Android tablet - a Nook Color.
Is it useful for surfing the Web?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Very useful. While 10" screens (my netbook) display more, they're not nearly as portable as a 7" screen. My main use for this tablet is traveling - surf the web, read/send emails, watch videos, and read library books. Out of the box, the Nook Color does this.

What it won't do is give you Android 2.2 or access to apps from the Android Market, unless you root the device; but that's easy to do. B&N will be upgrading the OS to 2.2 in the next month or so.
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
Absolutely! I love surfing the web on it and am posting from it right now! If you root it and install the SlideIT keyboard, it's a pleasure to type on too
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I'm going to wait for the original iPad to go second generation. If the price is at $250 or below, it will be too good a deal to pass up. A camera on a tablet? Geez...
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunter_Author View Post
I'm going to wait for the original iPad to go second generation. If the price is at $250 or below, it will be too good a deal to pass up. A camera on a tablet? Geez...
The Archos 10" and 7" tablets already have cameras....
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I hate the concept of the ipad (no SD slot, no USB, no HDMI) plus Apple's locked down walled garden, so I can't coment on that.

But there's a lot of tablets coming.

That said, I don't think the Nook Color is beatable in its size/price class. But you do have to root it which can be intimidating for people (since you have to block updates and stuff like that). More maintenance than some people want.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I think it all depends on your financial state. If you have the money to burn, why not buy now. There will always be something new/better/shinier on the horizon. If your financial state is in a bit worse situation, I'd say wait till it improves.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
camera?! Pffft! what's that bringing to your e-reading experience?

You'd rather wait for the day when tablets are powerful enough to play Crysis and compact enough with their flexible e-papyrus roll-up screens.

On a more serious tone, if you're craving for it, go for it!
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On second thought a camera would be useful for leechers and pirates to scan physical books and provide DRM-free ebooks. I wonder how Apple will cope with that.

tongue-in-cheek aside, I'm sure you'll read stories about it...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #13
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Very useful. While 10" screens (my netbook) display more, they're not nearly as portable as a 7" screen. My main use for this tablet is traveling - surf the web, read/send emails, watch videos, and read library books.
Just in to say I don't see what the big concern is about with browsing the web from a mobile device. I often read people say it's not comfortable because the screen is not wide enough...

2 cents:
turning your mobile device to landscape view usually yields ever wider view than on a pc display;

while many people create web layouts at fixed ratios, the nature of html and css is display independent, only a matter of finding a more fitting style sheet.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
2 cents:
turning your mobile device to landscape view usually yields ever wider view than on a pc display;
I do, but I still find myself zooming in to read it comfortably; which then requires frequent right-to-left scrolling. It's a hassle, but one I can live with in the name of portability.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Your release date for the Playbook is a lot later than the Q1 date which Rim has stated.

Also, it would probably useful to indicate the devices that offer a wifi-only model since the carrier is irrelevant to those.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote