Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
shu246
shu246 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Put our own pics on the Kindle?

New to e-readers.
Have Kindle 3.
In standby (off), a cache of pictures cycles on the display.

Can we get at this cache, and put our own pics in the rotation?

More generally, can we manage the "Collections" and other things over the USB wire from a WinXP or Fedora Linux machine?

I can ping the Kindle from a Linux terminal, but dont find a FTP or HTTP server on it. Is there any open source client we can dig into the Kindle with, either GUI or black screen?
shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu246 View Post
New to e-readers.
Have Kindle 3.
In standby (off), a cache of pictures cycles on the display.

Can we get at this cache, and put our own pics in the rotation?

More generally, can we manage the "Collections" and other things over the USB wire from a WinXP or Fedora Linux machine?

I can ping the Kindle from a Linux terminal, but dont find a FTP or HTTP server on it. Is there any open source client we can dig into the Kindle with, either GUI or black screen?
Welcome to MobileRead shu246!

Instructions on changing the screensaver (sleep) images can be found here and here.

There is some beta software for collections management for PCs that can be found here.

Can't help you with the Linux stuff 'cause it's over my head. The folks in the Kindle Developers Forum may be able to help you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
shu246
shu246 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Many thanks.

Overall, I like the thing. I'm new at e-readers. Haven't read much the last 2-3 years; been listening to audiobooks on the road and on the tractor, but I began to miss reading.

It seems sturdy enough built, fits well in the hand. I unintentionally toggle the page turner sometimes, but controlling a paperback or hard bound with one hand can be a problem also. Surprisingly, the page size (which I thought would be too small) works out well.

Nice to be able to pack a whole library and pick whatever (light, heavy, fiction, etc.) fits the mood.

I see some necessary compromises:
..I'd rather have a large keyboard, but I'd rather have a physical keyboard than one on a touch-screen.
..The light tan background robs some contrast with the letters in dim light, but probably is a help in bright sun.

Mostly I have a thing against special batteries. I would accept a cylinder along one side to take some rechargeable AAA batteries, as a trade-off for the nice thin profile.

- Shu
shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Shu!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu246 View Post
Mostly I have a thing against special batteries. I would accept a cylinder along one side to take some rechargeable AAA batteries, as a trade-off for the nice thin profile.

- Shu
Can you read while on a tractor?

I own a Kindle 1, Kindle 2 and Kindle 3 and I can say that in my personal experience, batteries are not much of an issue, especially since Kindle 2. The non-replaceable battery that started with Kindle 2 has lasted longer than the replaceable one that came with my with Kindle 1 (which I did have to replace once). There is an after-market source for Kindle batteries and videos on YouTube that show how easy they are to replace.

I hope you enjoy your Kindle!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I found this link for adding photos to the screensaver,but couldn't get it to work - could anyone else confirm whether it's working for them?
http://www.notsofaqs.com/archives/17#comments
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteseal View Post
I found this link for adding photos to the screensaver,but couldn't get it to work - could anyone else confirm whether it's working for them?
http://www.notsofaqs.com/archives/17#comments
That was for Kindle 1. Use the links I posted before for Kindle 3.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for clearing that up daffy. I was hoping there would be a way to do it without hacking the Kindle...
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Astrakan
Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kindle 3G
First off, I know I'm bumping a pretty old thread here, but I'm not sure what the feelings around here are on starting a new thread vs. using an old one, but most forums I post on prefer the use of an existing thread.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows whether Amazon loads new standby pictures onto Kindles from time to time. Over the past few days there's been a handful of new pictures showing up on my Kindle 3, and I'm curious if they're just new to me or if there's been a new batch delivered.
Astrakan is offline   Reply With Quote