Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
captain
captain began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza / calibre
offer a CHOICE of covers in "edit meta information"?

This has been a problem for nearly EVERY book I've imported to Calibre:
The book cover doesn't match the public meta data that is most appropriate. (secondary problem that meta data more often than not proves to be wrong in at least some, if not many, ways - another thread for this...)

Would it be possible to download ALL matching covers and give the user a choice from all of them in a thumbnail or cover-flow or something? It would be extra helpful if the covers were matched up with the meta data too. e.g. The red cover of Book X matching the pulp reprint, while the blue cover matches the first issue.

I hope that's intelligible, if not clear. Basically, I'd be thrilled to see better meta data all around, but particularly some way to SEE all the COVERS without first loading up each meta data hit and then downloading the cover for that, until I find the right one, then re-choosing the right meta data.
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Although I quite like the idea of having a choice of covers to choose from, one obvious problem with that idea is that many books have scores or hundreds of editions. The potential number of covers could get very silly, very quickly.

Personally, if I don't like the cover that Calibre finds I will go to one of the bigger booksites and just browse on there. And I never download metadata.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
captain
captain began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza / calibre
I hadn't realized there might be hundreds... how about if we were given a choice of 10 covers with a "more" button? Or just SOME way to see more cover options without having to change all the other meta-data just to fool calibre into offering other cover data. The way it works now is just tedious, and the whole idea behind calibre is to mitigate tedium, no? ;-)
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Just find another jpg of the cover you like on the Internet and save it to your computer then pick it up by browse instead of download.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote