Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
MobileRead: New features to group discussions

Today we did a few upgrades to our server which also include the addition of a few new features and improvements:
  • Social Networking
    • Messages in community groups are now threaded into 'discussions'.
    • You can subscribe to group discussions and receive email notifications on new messages.
    • Group discussions are now ascending, which is more intuitive in threaded discussions.
    • A group can now belong to a category, allowing you to find the groups that are relevant to you.
    • A group can have an avatar now.
    • Profile privacy: You can now configure which parts of your profile is visible, and to whom.
  • Private message sorting and filtering
  • Private message history
  • Private message quick reply
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ooh, wow, it all sounds pretty nifty! [wanders off to check out the new features...]

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
These sound pretty interesting, Alexander. Thank you for always thinking ahead. And, just to validate that saying about "no good deed goes.....", uh, I would personally find it rather cool if you considered adding one small item to the the privacy options: karma. I don't mean removing the karma "say thank you" button. I mean the display of the total karma one has received. It always make me feel like a damn fool. Hey, no snickering out there!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
These sound pretty interesting, Alexander. Thank you for always thinking ahead. And, just to validate that saying about "no good deed goes.....", uh, I would personally find it rather cool if you considered adding one small item to the the privacy options: karma. I don't mean removing the karma "say thank you" button. I mean the display of the total karma one has received. It always make me feel like a damn fool. Hey, no snickering out there!
sorry, a snicker was far from my mind (how did you hear that)....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
brilliant work, as always alex ! these are some really great new features. thanks particularly for the new search and sort feature on private messages, it's like you read my mind with that one !!

and subscriptions to social groups is brilliant as well !

thanks again for all your hard work, this forum gets better and better.

...actually, maybe i shouldn't thank you, i spend too much time here as it is !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think I need to make a Romance group now
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Great stuff - thank you Alex!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi and great work. But, being the typical dunderhead that i am... What the heck are community groups?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hi and great work. But, being the typical dunderhead that i am... What the heck are community groups?

BOb
Only answer I can come up with is to look at the "Community" button at the top of the screen....
Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Only answer I can come up with is to look at the "Community" button at the top of the screen....
Ok, so is this like a sub-forum with it's own members and messages? For example, would running the MobileRead book club as a group be a better idea than filling the reading recommendations forum with those post? Although I think the book discussion threads enhance that formum area.

BOb
Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, so is this like a sub-forum with it's own members and messages? For example, would running the MobileRead book club as a group be a better idea than filling the reading recommendations forum with those post? Although I think the book discussion threads enhance that formum area.

BOb
i think the book club threads should stay in the reading recommendation forum because they are more visible there. however, you could also create a BookClub group if you like, for discussing other aspects of the club.

i think your description of the social groups is fairly accurate, they are just ways for like-minded people to congregate and have discussions together. since many people might not know about that function of the forum (and, social groups are not accessible to non-registered members, if i've understood), and since i agree with you that the book group discussions enrich the Book Recommendation forum, i would keep all the main Book Club discussions there.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think the book club threads should stay in the reading recommendation forum because they are more visible there. however, you could also create a BookClub group if you like, for discussing other aspects of the club.
Thanks Z. You are always so helpful.

BOb
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

i think your description of the social groups is fairly accurate, they are just ways for like-minded people to congregate and have discussions together. since many people might not know about that function of the forum (and, social groups are not accessible to non-registered members, if i've understood), and since i agree with you that the book group discussions enrich the Book Recommendation forum, i would keep all the main Book Club discussions there.
I be seconding this motion
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
GeoffC

Social Groups seem to be in a position to be created by the members of MR ["Silly Ministry" as example] - whilst others are fixed such as the forums ....
Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sometimes, I just can't help myself.

vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote