Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Vizio Tablet $198

Walmart has the Vizio tablet on sale for $198 (sold out online though). The local stores here had a few still in stock. Seems like a good deal.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
glanced at them a bit while in a store, seems like a nice tablet.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just saw this 5 mins ago (and was about to post it here) in the Sunday Morning paper.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Costco.com is selling it for $189.99
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I saw them at COSTCO yesterday for $189. I was late for a meeting and in a hurry, so I wasn't able to stop and check them out, but was sorely tempted to be even later; and with a $189 more on my already too high bill.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I purchased one at Costco two weeks ago...for $234! Fortunately, they said they would match the price if I brought in the receipt.

It's a nice tablet, but it's definitely large. It will probably be easier to handle when I get a case for it.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I buy one, it will be my coffee table tablet, and entertainment center remote. My SGT is the one I carry always, and if I limit my library to K4A (and recently Aldiko Sync) I can keep them in sync.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I purchased one at Costco two weeks ago...for $234! Fortunately, they said they would match the price if I brought in the receipt.

It's a nice tablet, but it's definitely large. It will probably be easier to handle when I get a case for it.

SteveK
Do you use it with a Vizio TV as a remote? If so how does it work for that. I might buy one if it works well for that and like above, it would be me "coffee table" tablet.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Do you use it with a Vizio TV as a remote? If so how does it work for that. I might buy one if it works well for that and like above, it would be me "coffee table" tablet.
I have a "coffee table" tablet (TouchPad). It replaced my "coffee table" netbook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
They have an IR port and a universal Remote Control app, but the reviews of the app have not been that great. That's the only thing that kept me from throwing one in my already too expensive cart full yesterday.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I've read on AndroidTablets.net that this won't let you shift apps onto the SD card, so you're stuck with what remains of the 4GB flash memory. You can put files on the SD card, just not the apps. It was a deal breaker for a lot of people. I looked into over the weekend when I decided to cancel my Vox and ultimately decided against it, mostly because of that issue.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
I've read on AndroidTablets.net that this won't let you shift apps onto the SD card, so you're stuck with what remains of the 4GB flash memory. You can put files on the SD card, just not the apps. It was a deal breaker for a lot of people. I looked into over the weekend when I decided to cancel my Vox and ultimately decided against it, mostly because of that issue.
Hmmmm.....interesting.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Yeah., I guess the layman's term of it, judging by users and developers on AT.Net, is that Vizio imaged an internal SD card within the storage and that's where Android is programmed to send apps. I think if you root it and install a custom ROM, that issue would be taken care of, but you probably lose more of flash space with reformatting the flash, because it will have new partitions. Again, layman's terms here!

This problem has appeared on SlateDroid, AndroidTablets, and I think I came across it on Amazon forums, too. I'm shy of internal memory problems right now, so that general consensus convinced me to say no.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Although it is true that Vizio initially saves the applications on internal storage, you can very easily move most apps to the SD card. Just go into Settings>Applications>Storage Use. Each application on your tablet will be listed, and you can move it to the SD card if the app allows it. If the application is on the device but can't run from the SD card, the option to move will not be highlighted. Otherwise, the button will say "Move to SD card" if it is on the device and "Move to device" if it is on the SD card. It's a very quick and painless transfer.

The process is discussed in the user's manual, but may have been overlooked since the user's manual is on the device rather than provided in printed form. At any rate, it is very easy to move most applications, even if you can't save it to the SD card from the outset.

IMPORTANT EDIT: It appears the "SD card" referred to is actually the internal virtual SD card rather than the external physical SD card. So all you're actually doing is moving the app from one section of internal storage to another.

However, I tried moving an app to the actual SD card using the Astro file manager and it seemed to work fine. YMMV. Hopefully Vizio will choose to resolve this problem in the future, although it may not actually be a problem for most people since the available app storage space may be adequate for people that don't have hundreds of apps (or dozens of large ones).

SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 11-05-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: clarification
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

Weird that AT.Net didn't figure it out. Developers hang out there. So the actual apps did move to the external SD? Do they open and seem to be stable?

EDIT: Looked at new posts on AT.Net, and they seem to favor against the Astro solution?

For the price, I'd love to just go grab it at CostCo (saw it at the $189 this week), but developers don't seem to be interested in working on this (and solving the memory issue).

Last edited by emilikins; 11-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.