Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #31
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that reading was at its peak in the US between 1895 and 1930 - when the inexpensive pulp magazines were available and popular.

As I see it, reading declined when people bought radios to listen to. The motion picture may have contributed some as well, but people went to the movies only once a week.

I think that the popularity of the pulps was based in large part on their low price. Today we see books with $30 price points, notwithstanding the bestsellers' being discounted down to half that. And mass market paperbacks are now up to 7 and 8 dollars.

I can't help but think that the publishers are pricing themselves out of business.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #32
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I think that the popularity of the pulps was based in large part on their low price.
I agree. I think ebooks are recreating the dime novels atmosphere. Availability + price = win. I'm very happy about it and I think quality will rise to the top. There's a lot of stuff that were looked down upon when they were published, but are considered classics decades later. Just look at Edgar Rice Burroughs and Tarzan, Maxwell Grant and the Shadow, and Johnston McCulley and Zorro. Heck, look at the early days of the comic book industry. So much of it was considered dreck, but we still recognize those names today. And movies were made out of them. Good stories will be always around, it's just hard to predict which ones will have lasting impact.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
I do not really understand all the rage against the publishers. Tens of thousands of new books are being published each year and I don't believe that availability of books was ever better than today.
If we trim all fat from the publishing industry, then which publisher will have the money to e.g. risk having an unknown foreign author translated?
Do you seriously think that things will get better once the Jobs and Bezos have taken over the shop completely?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #34
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I blame the Authors! The ones that tease us with their series of great stories, especially.
They just refuse to write the stories as fast as I can read them. That Jim Butcher Guy
is one of the worst. I read all his "Codex Alera" series, waiting on the next "Harry Dresden".
My pre-order of the "Ghost Story" eBook won't get here until sometime in July. Even more
prolific authors must be dragging their feet, my pre-order of the next "Elemental Masters"
won't be available for download before June 7.

I suppose it could be that the publishers aren't flogging their authors enough? Yeah, it's
probably the publishers fault.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #35
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The "bestseller" model is geared to the large populace who reads a bit, rather than the small populace that reads voraciously.

It's the niche publishers that feed the voracious readers.
That's certainly true, but as the 'reads a bit' moves from 80% of the population reading a book per year to maybe 20% of the population reading a book once per year, things get difficult. The chase for the lowest common denominator turns into a dash down the plughole.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 05:05 AM   #36
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If I have to blame someone for the decline in the popularity of reading, my first choice for that honor would be uninspiring teachers. Too many teachers do not read themselves, are unable to pass on a love of reading to their students, and do not understand a book if the understanding requires going beyond the cliff notes version.

When I was in elementary school many decades ago, one of our ongoing assignments was to read x number of books each week, write a brief report explaining the book and why classmates should read it, and outlining all the new words and meanings we learned. The teacher also participated and did the same tasks. Then once a month we had reading day when we had to read to the class excerpts (if the book was too long) from the best book we had read that month.

When my youngest was in elementary school 30 years ago, not a single teacher gave similar assignments. Consequently, I picked up the ball at home, and set an example by banning TV and having reading time instead.

I look at my neighbor's child who is now in elementary school and, again, there is no reading assignment. There are computer assignments and the child certainly knows how to Twitter, but read a book -- just isn't going to happen except as his parents ecourage it. According to the parents, you can't even ask the teacher for reading recommendations because they have no clue -- it isn't on their smart phone or computer so it must not exist.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #37
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I blame the Authors! The ones that tease us with their series of great stories, especially.
Well one can find blame on the part of the authors, but for much more than being slow writers. I think one can blame authors who are not masters of their craft and simply push out whatever drivel comes to their fingertips.

I guess the real culprit is the computer, which has made everyone a slushpile author by making it so easy to edit their work -- just run spellcheck and all will be well.

Hmmm, maybe the real culprit is Microsoft which gives us the spellcheck, the teachers who rely on it, the students who don't know what a dictionary is, . . .
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #38
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
If I have to blame someone for the decline in the popularity of reading, my first choice for that honor would be uninspiring teachers. Too many teachers do not read themselves, are unable to pass on a love of reading to their students, and do not understand a book if the understanding requires going beyond the cliff notes version.

When I was in elementary school many decades ago, one of our ongoing assignments was to read x number of books each week, write a brief report explaining the book and why classmates should read it, and outlining all the new words and meanings we learned. The teacher also participated and did the same tasks. Then once a month we had reading day when we had to read to the class excerpts (if the book was too long) from the best book we had read that month.

When my youngest was in elementary school 30 years ago, not a single teacher gave similar assignments. Consequently, I picked up the ball at home, and set an example by banning TV and having reading time instead.

I look at my neighbor's child who is now in elementary school and, again, there is no reading assignment. There are computer assignments and the child certainly knows how to Twitter, but read a book -- just isn't going to happen except as his parents ecourage it. According to the parents, you can't even ask the teacher for reading recommendations because they have no clue -- it isn't on their smart phone or computer so it must not exist.
I kind of agree to a point. When I was a kid, I was able to read by age 3, it wasn't due to the schools, it was due to my mom, and because of this my book report for 4th grade was Cujo by Stephen King, and not Hop on Pop. While I'm the exception to the rule here, I DO NOT believe that kids should be forced to read books. It took ALL the fun away. Instead they should be taught that books can open doors to whole other worlds, and unlock the imagination, and then let the kids choose what they would like to read.

Assignments are fine, they need to be there, they have to learn comprehension etc. But if I had to read something that was boring to me, and 99.9% of the books I had to read were, I lost all comprehension abilities, got terrible grades, and fell asleep while reading. This is all in elementary school mind you, in High School all bets are off.

I would have much rather been outside, and I believe that kids should be outside playing rather than inside with their nose in a book OR watching TV.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #39
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Just to clarify: Although we were given reading assignments in elementary school, the assignment was usually to pick out a book that interested us while in the school library and then do the reports. My teachers, at least, did not assign specific titles.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #40
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
I agree, about reading and schools. In public school, we could read what we wanted. Starting in high school, the joy of reading was beaten out of us when we had to read numerous novels and poems that were of no relevance to modern day life. When you have to understand the history of a past era in order to understand the point of a book, that book is no longer suitable for a standard high school English class.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #41
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
I agree, about reading and schools. In public school, we could read what we wanted. Starting in high school, the joy of reading was beaten out of us when we had to read numerous novels and poems that were of no relevance to modern day life. When you have to understand the history of a past era in order to understand the point of a book, that book is no longer suitable for a standard high school English class.
I strongly disagree. The best history classes I had were English classes where the Prof spent time explaining the political, cultural, and historic events from the time period that the book was written. It helped me to understand why the author was focused on what he/she was focused on and made reading those books much more enjoyable.

While there were many books that I hated reading in high school (waves at the Bronte sisters) the point of English class is to learn how the English language is used and introduce young people to classic works. I might have hated the Bronte's but mist of my female classmates seemed to think that they were just wonderful.

I hated Algebra and Geometry, I still had to take them. They helped me develop a certain logical rigor that is applicable outside the classroom. I was never a fan of biology and chemistry (Why did I have to memorize the periodic table of elements again?) but that doesn't mean that I didn't learn something in those classes. Even if in the end all I learned was that there are times I have to apply myself and do my best when I don't find a subject interesting.

School isn't about students doing things that they find fun or interesting, it is about learning. Sometimes it is about learning how to make yourself do work you don't find interesting. It is great when students love what they are learning but that is not going to happen all of the time.

So bring on the Bronte and the Poe and other authors that teens think are rubbish. Their parents should be encouraging them to read stuff that they like at home outside of their school work. Let them learn to understand how English was used 100 years ago and use a dictionary to look up words that they don't know. On occassion, they will find that their are authors that they really love that they had never heard of before and would not find in a regular bookstore.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #42
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
"School isn't about students doing things that they find fun or interesting, it is about learning. Sometimes it is about learning how to make yourself do work you don't find interesting. It is great when students love what they are learning but that is not going to happen all of the time."

In a perfect world, yes. In the real world, you will get through to the bottom 70% of the class by making learning fun and entertaining. You can teach English and History in many ways. Entertaining storytellers will have no trouble finding an angle to get people interested in even the worst of novels. Unfortunately, the average teacher is not a master storyteller.

The top 20% (I made that number up) of students are self-motivated, will get through the work as required, and get on to the next unpleasant job. The other 80% need to be sold on it.

School time is expensive and limited, and should be applied to useful topics. History is valuable - democratic citizens need to know the basics, and how to avoid repeating history's mistakes. Old literature and poems do not fall into this category. People will find ways to entertain themselves; the hard work bits should not be last century's entertainment, but important skills, including history, science and math.

All in my opinion, of course - I'm not claiming these are self-evident facts.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #43
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
school isnt about learning anymore, just about getting high standardized test scores. any learning is usually done for homework. i remember when my little brother was in first grade and had over 3 hours of homework everyday, even weekends.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #44
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Amazon killed browsing. You go on, you find the book you wanted, you pay, and you leave. So instead of buying five books, you buy just one.
You know how, every so often, you meet someone in Real Life who has never used Amazon and it's a culture shock for you as a Mobile Read poster?

Between Amazon Recommends and that BIG BAR ON EVERY PRODUCT PAGE saying Customers Who Looked At This Book Also Liked These Things Here and the emails they sent me every week about new releases in genres I like and the LOOK INSIDE THE COVER feature, I do ****way**** more browsing on Amazon than I ever, ever did in Real Life.

Tl;Dr: If you don't use Amazon, you maybe shouldn't write an article about Amazon.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #45
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
You know how, every so often, you meet someone in Real Life who has never used Amazon and it's a culture shock for you as a Mobile Read poster?

Between Amazon Recommends and that BIG BAR ON EVERY PRODUCT PAGE saying Customers Who Looked At This Book Also Liked These Things Here and the emails they sent me every week about new releases in genres I like and the LOOK INSIDE THE COVER feature, I do ****way**** more browsing on Amazon than I ever, ever did in Real Life.

Tl;Dr: If you don't use Amazon, you maybe shouldn't write an article about Amazon.
I agree completely. The Amazon haters will always try to put it down, but I'm seeing far more reviews, recommendations, and tips about new books than I ever got from the "old way" of going to the bookstore, I'm a lot more informed now about the type of books I want to read, and I buy a lot more now, too (Agency 6 excepted). Maybe some day the others will figure out how to sell and market, but who knows...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote