Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Are you going to try again?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I'd still like to apply the hack but I'm more confused than ever. Do I replace the applicationstart.xml or do I replace the main.xml? I'm guessing the latter but I really don't need a repeat of my earlier scare.
Never mind. I felt cocky now that I know I can recover. So, I went ahead and replaced the main.xml and applied it. It works great. I love the new font on the menu screens!
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
This is where I got the idea to replace the appplicationstart.xml.
I'm not sure how that article gave you the impression it should be renamed, but if it wasn't clear to you, I'm sure it's not clear to others. I've updated the step by step instructions with an additional note in italics, making it clear that you don't want to rename the files.

Glad you were able to recover!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Phew - so glad to hear that you sorted it out. A nasty few minutes to go through.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #20
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
If the file you downloaded was named main.xml, which I believe it was, then replace the main.xml in the scripts folder. applicationStart.xml does some different things than main.xml and there are some hacks which modify one and some others which modify the other.

The people creating these try to keep it as simple as possible for everyone else, so usually the simplest method is the correct one.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
The people creating these try to keep it as simple as possible for everyone else
Well, I was feeling pretty stupid already. Now, I gonna have to recreate my identity on the web and start fresh!

How about "The Member Formerly Known as Edbro"?

Last edited by edbro; 08-14-2007 at 01:47 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Haha! Don't worry about it. We all spaz out from time to time.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, maybe we need a "dumb stories on myself" thread in the Lounge -- I'm sure I could fill a few screens without half trying.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #24
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This would be a much less exciting forum if we didn't have occasional frequent bonehead moves by all of us!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #25
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Yes, I did so that's probably the case. I threw out the older cable anyway. Now I'm down to only having about 15 of them lying around.

When I was reading this article, one thought went through my head. Did you try another cable? After getting through to the end I see that you did. I have one cable at home that works on every other device I use it for (camera, mp3 player) but not on my reader. So in this case I don't use this cable.

I am glad you are up and runnning again. Scary isn't it?
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #26
slav
slav began at the beginning.

Hi,

My reader locked after updating firmware with Flasher and it was hanging on starting up screen. I've tried everything (btw. thanx for great info) but nothing helped. After half hour trying I was able to get it to Updating firmware screen (using 10 reset technique) but updater couldn't get my Reader connected.

And here's a trick that saved my life - YOU MUST USE ORIGINAL SONY DRIVER WITH UPDATER

Hope it helps someone
slav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 AM   #27
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
won't reset

I've bricked my reader. It's stuck on the startup screen. When I press the reset button on back, then switch the reader on, nothing happens. It still simply displays the Starting Up screen. Please advise.... anyone.

EDIT: Connecting to A/C power fixed the problem.

Last edited by bookbinder; 02-09-2008 at 10:59 AM.
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Ragzilla
Ragzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbinder View Post

EDIT: Connecting to A/C power fixed the problem.
Interesting. I may have to try that.
Ragzilla is offline   Reply With Quote