Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Eccobleu
Eccobleu began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Screen Frozen - Please help

Hi, Yesterday I tried to connect my Reader to my PC and the screen froze on the "USB Connected" page. I unplugged the USB cable but it's still on the same screen. I have also tried turning it off and using the soft reset button, but nothing happens. I can't do a hard reset b/c you need to turn the Reader off to do so and it won't turn off.

Because I received the Reader as a gift, I don't have a receipt. Sony will do a hard reset for me but will charge me $80 to do so.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this myself will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Eccobleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
A possibility to try - no guarantee. Try connecting to your computer, open the connect software & check that you are actually connected to the reader. Then 1) close the connect software & 2) disconnect the reader.

There have been other problems that resulted in disconnecting the reader prior to closing the connect software. Good luck.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You should probably also try (if that doesn't work) plugging it into the wall charger and leaving it for six or eight hours -- if the battery was really, really flat it won't charge from the USB, and it can sometimes just stop like that without any warning.

Hopefully one of those will help.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yet another option is to leave the Reader until the battery goes completely flat, at which point (after a charge) the o/s will "cold start" and hopefully fix itself. The only down-side of that is that it could take several weeks for the battery to go flat, especially if you've recently charged your Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I s'pose you could open it and disconnect the battery too, but that may do undesirable things to your warranty.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
romseyabbey
romseyabbey began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Same Problem

Hi,

I had the same problem. I did a reset (with the button on the back) while the power was on. It took a few minutes, but this cleared things up for me.

Best,
J.-

Last edited by romseyabbey; 06-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
romseyabbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Yes, a reset should always work whether the machine is on or off providing it is still functional.

Eccobleu, did you solve your problem?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
zonkd
zonkd began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
Thanks very much, NatCH, I tried your suggestion of plugging into it the wall, and almost right away the screen unfroze - after what seems like a hundred years, but maybe only 10 days or so.

So it seems that the freeze occurs when the battery gets too low.

I can confirm that the reset doesn't work when the screen is frozen. And another suggestion - connecting it to the computer - doesn't really help. (The connection isn't recognised.)
zonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
After pressing reset you need to toggle the power switch, otherwise indeed "nothing happens".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
zonkd

Thanks, igorsk. And you are absolutely right, reset on its own, holding the pin in place for ten minutes or half a second, makes no difference. Will remember about toggling the power switch.

Another point I have read since is that print on the screen takes no power. I had been waiting for the power to run down. If it's right that there is no power drain once the screen has the print, then I would have been waiting a long time.

igorsk, I see you have the 505. The most disappointing aspect of the 500 is its inablity to make much of pdf files. I have so many tutorials in Acrobat format, and that was the reason I bought the reader.

I have read that pdfs work properly in the 505. Is that true in your experience? I thought that I should try to trade my 500 in on a 505, if they really can handle a pdf. Be very grateful for advice.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The power does run down even if screen doesn't change. The screen itself takes no power to display static text, but the processor inside the device does keep running (though in a reduced consumption state). In most cases, battery goes flat after three to five weeks in standby mode.
As for PDFs, they indeed have improved their display in 505, but it works better for some PDFs than others. You can get a feel for it by downloading the latest eBook Library sofware from Sony and loading the PDFs in it:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/downloadclient.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #12
zonkd

Thanks very much, Igorsk. All noted - and yes, naturally, there has to be some drain. But fancy having to wait 5 weeks! Thanks for that url. That will be handy.

It's odd, I downloaded two classics in text format and they work well on the PRS-500. Well, Ihad collected a Sony update just before, and that might have helped a lot.

I see some eager fellow flogging an addon for Word for the 500 and 505. It's announced on one of those appalling really hard-sell sites where the page keeps going down and down - as does the standard, one suspects, of honesty.

It's that design that's used to sell rubbish to people without brains, and that surprises me because presumably people who read can be assumed to have some intelligence too.

I suspect it mightn't be more than a few Word macros for fifty dollars. The url is w w w prs505.com (I'm typing it that way because I don't want to appear to be promoting it. Which I'm not.)

Igorsk, I wonder if you or other serious ereader-owners have used this program, and if they have used it for the 500? The site claims that it is fine for the 500 as well as the 505. But the whole tone of the site makes it highly dubious. Yet what a strange sector of the internet population to be picking on.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
zonkd, the program you mention has been tested by me and found to be utter rubbish. There is no way a program can piece back together paragraphs using a Word macro.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote