Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Collections saved to Memory Stick without a memory stick

I recently noticed that all of my book collections stored in the internal memory have MS by their collection names. I wasn't sure why this was and thought nothing of it until I added a new collection and noticed that it did not have this designator. I have an SD card and all of the collections on it have the little SD by their names, so I believe that this is meant to show that the collections are on a memory stick...but they aren't because I do not have a memory stick...they just recently showed this and were not marked like this any time before...any ideas?
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't have an answer for this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for him, please?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
hmm, praps MS stands for main storage?

never noticed it myself.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
The exact same thing has just happened to me. In the book index it comes up with those books on the SD card with the SD logo. In collections all of my collections have the MS logo beside them ( which according to the manual is for Memory Stick) except the one collection on the SD card which has SD on it. But when you go into each collection there is no MS logo on any of the books - just on the collection page. Weird! Any suggestions greatly appreciated. BTW, There is only the SD card in the reader and no Memory stick nor has there ever been. Photo attached - hopefully.

Natalie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020007.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	20313  
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
I noticed mine did this too, only I had no idea what the MS was standing for. I'd say 2/3 of my collections have it on them...but I've never put a memory stick or SD card of any kind in my Sony, ever. So it has nothing to do with you having used one or the other, if that helps.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Do you use calibre?

This was noticed a while back (though I thought Kovid had fixed it)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This was added as a result of the Firmware upgrade, I noticed this immediately. However I always thought this meant "main storage". Hmm but memory stick makes more scene.

For me I have a Secure Disk and All of my collections say either "SD" or "MS". Proir to the upgrade they where either "SD" or blank.

I have created collections using both calibre and SONY eLibrary and both cause the collection to show up with an "MS" if they are created in the main storage space.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
hmm.. It might mean "Main storage" - who knows. Glad I am not alone in this and my collections are created by Sony Library. Its no big deal I guess if it stays there and maybe someone who has the same problem who has a memory stick can put it in and see if it changes again.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
I use Calibre but I make my collections in Sony. (Can you make them in Calibre?)

If it did stand for main storage though, wouldn't it say it on every collection, since that's all I use? I'd say it probably is for the memory stick, because if you look at the picture someone posted, the MS is in a little memory stick shaped box.

Which still doesn't make any sense, of course.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
I use Calibre but I make my collections in Sony. (Can you make them in Calibre?)
Yes if you use the Tag or Series metadata fields they will create a Collection in calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
If it did stand for main storage though, wouldn't it say it on every collection, since that's all I use? I'd say it probably is for the memory stick, because if you look at the picture someone posted, the MS is in a little memory stick shaped box.

Which still doesn't make any sense, of course.
I agree, it does make more sense that MS stands for "Memory Stick." I just assumed it meant Main Storage since all of my collections either show up as MS or SD since I upgraded the firmware. On my system Collections located on the local device always show up with an MS and collections on the SD show up with a "SD" icon.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I had the same issue, it was minor and didn't seem to affect how my reader worked, it disappear after I formatted the internal memory (note: this will delete all your books on the reader).

MS does mean Memory Stick by the way, for some reason the reader got confused about where it stored the data.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I ended up copying my collections and then deleting the ones which had the MS designator on them, just to make sure that it would not get in the way of anything when I add a memory stick to my device. I didn't notice any real problems with this issue, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

I did notice this happening after using Calibre, but I sort of figured it was a coincidence. I also did a reset of the device at about the same time. I do not recall if it first happend during the use of Calibre, which I have since used with no issues, or during the reset.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 01-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote