Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
zander_nyrond
zander_nyrond began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Problem installing driver

I've tried now three times to install Calibre's driver for the PRS500. I get an error message telling me that devcon.exe failed and a child process was aborted. I don't have Sony CONNECT on here any more and haven't had for some time, but I assume there's something left over that's stopping my system accepting Calibre's driver. I've searched the forum and not found an answer. What should I do?
zander_nyrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try having your reader plugged in while installing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
zander_nyrond

Ah. Right. Sorry.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
zander_nyrond

Er, nope. Didn't work.

Here's the error message I'm getting:
"USB Driver installation failed with return code 2 and console output \n\nDevice node created. Install is complete when drivers are updated...
Updating drivers for USBVID_054&PID029B from C:\Program Files\calibre\driver\prs500.inf.
devcon.exe failed.
child process exited abnormally"

And now, having put the Reader in the cradle, I have to wait for it to deign to recognise the SD card with my books on it again. That usually takes the best part of a day, if it happens at all. This technology will be really useful when they finally get it right...
Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

go into the device manager and delete all reader related USB driver entries and then try to re-install.
Advert
Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
zander_nyrond

Tried that twice now, with reader in place. Still no success, and the same error message as before, both times. Even when I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver manually from the Calibre location, while I didn't get an error message, Calibre couldn't see the reader, which I take to be a Bad Sign.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

when you plugin the reader does windows say it has been recognized?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 AM   #8
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Can you give a screen shot of the Device manager window with the USB controllers open, while the reader is plugged in. And as Kovidgoyal said, is it recognized by the system?

Last edited by Prash; 07-24-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
countervail
countervail began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
I get the same problem.

The system does find the reader as it tries to intall the reader. I will reinstall Calibre with the PRS plugged.
countervail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
countervail
countervail began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Manualy installing the driver from the c/program/calibre/drivers worked for me.
countervail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
zander_nyrond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Can you give a screen shot of the Device manager window with the USB controllers open, while the reader is plugged in. And as Kovidgoyal said, is it recognized by the system?
I'll do that at some point this weekend. As far as I know the system does not recognise the reader at any point. I'm loth to keep plugging it in because every time I do it's hours before I can use it again.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm having the exact same problem, except the Sony Reader shows in my Device Manager, along with two other "unknown devices" under the LibUSB-Win32 category. Before my recent Calibre issues (mentioned in a different thread), I was still able to use everything just fine.

I wonder if the two problems are related...
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote