Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
yro
yro began at the beginning.

Device: PB 622
Best Ereaders for translation ?

Hello ereaders

French, sorry by advance for vocab/gram erros in my text . I'm looking for the best ereader for a particular use. Eink for visual ergonomy, PC connection and wifi just for an easy access to all internet ebook shops. Good autonomy (wifi will be use just for finding books, not important for autonomy). I don't want a generalist pad (android like). Basic things here

WHAT I WANT
An ereader to learn languages ! I want to use it to perfect my english and my spanish ( to read in french also with the right dictionary) and so I want
to take care of dictionary and tranlators features : dictionaries quality and ergonomy access. English and French quality of the dictionaries if possible (and sold with), ergonomy of the translators to lose a minimum of time during reading to understand a word and come up reading.
Could we find ereadears providing configuration options to open dictionaries and translators in the right entry just with a finger contact upon the word in the text ?
If not what are the best ereaders able to optimize the time between "I dont understand this word" and "I come back reading instructed"

What is the mean time between these 2 phases (without deepening all meanings of the word in the dic of course) ?

The Pocket Book 622 TOUCH sounds to fit with a part of my requirements and with youtube I saw a laborious demonstration (Ukranian one I guess ) but I didn't see process demo between unknown word in a text and dic/translator (or I didn't understand).

Of course I'll take all your advices to choose the best ereader for my requirements and I'm looking forward to reading them.

I wish you a very nice christmas.

Cheers.

Yro.

Last edited by yro; 12-16-2012 at 08:09 AM.
yro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Looking up a word from the text you are reading on a PocketBook Touch requires two taps: one long tap to select the word, and then one tap on the Dictionary option in the menu that is then shown.

The PocketBook Touch comes with a number of ABBYY Lingvo dictionaries, including EN-Fr, Fr-En, En-Es and Es-En. I cannot really judge the quality of these dictionaries as I've never used them. There are lots of additional dictionaries you can download and install. I found some very good Russian ones but again, I don't know if there are any good dictionaries for the language pairs you need.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
yro

Thank you Zetmolm for your answer. Do you understand tap as a tactile contact ? a long tactile contact to choose the word in the text (depending on the lenght of the word) and one tactile contact in the dic to find the right entry ? No need of a virtual keyboard ? How much time (mean time) to find the entry of a 10 letters word in the dic ?
My issue is that I live in a small town when demos are impossible.
Best regards.
Yro.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your interpretation is correct: you touch the word you want to look up for about a second. As a result of that, the word is selected and a menu bar is displayed at the top of the screen. Then you briefly touch the menu option for the dictionary (other options are that you can highlight the word, add a comment or google the word). Then in about another second the dictionary entry comes up. The whole process takes me about 3 seconds. It does not seem to make any difference whether it is a long or a short word.

The dictionary window covers about one third of the screen, and you can keep it open while reading, so that you can look up other words in the text simply by tapping them once. The dictionary window overlaps either the top or bottom part of the text, but you can easily move it from top to bottom or from bottom to top with a simple tap. I find that a convenient way of working when I'm reading a text in which I need to look up a lot of words.

Of course, in the end a lot depends on the quality of the dictionaries, and once again, I cannot promise you that the ones you will need are as good as the ones that I am using for other languages.

Last edited by Zetmolm; 12-17-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
yro

Thank you very much Zetmolm. Your explanation is very clear. I guess that I always can buy a fitted dictionary if the basic Lingvo doesn't match. But for others dic. can I be sure to have the same easiness to look up a lot of words for instance with the window opened as you with your dic. ? Standard or specificic features ? Must I be careful for the choice of the dictionary to have this use easiness ? Specific feature to take care ?
And last but not least do you think that the PB Touch is the best for my use ?
Best regards and thank you for your help.
Yro.

Last edited by yro; 12-17-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Zetmolm
Guru

You can buy other dictionaries or find free dictionaries for the Pocketbook Touch, and they'll work in the same easy manner.

The dictionary functionality of the Pocketbook Touch is definitely a lot better than the functionality on my old Onyx Boox, but for the rest I never used other readers, so I cannot say for certain that PB Touch is the *best* for what you want. I do know that PB Touch is very good if you can find good dictionaries for the languages that you want.

Perhaps there is someone else who can say a bit more about how the dictionary functionality on the PB Touch compares to other readers?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I would recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. You can buy most English/Spanish books they sell on amazon.com and amazon.es, by browsing those two sites to get inspired, then entering the exact title in your amazon.fr store. You will even save money on the foreign books in many cases (Enlish books cheaper on .fr than .com, for instance).

The PW comes with English, French, Spanish dictionaries and probably some more, and you can install more than one, so you can have a Spanish and an English dictionary active, and the good type: Oxford and RAE!!

To look up a word, you touch it and select look up. Easy.

The best thing is that you can get a ton of free English books by checking out ereaderiq.com, and you can sign up for a library card here in the US and, for a yearly fee, you can download books in English and maybe even Spanish and send them directly to your Kindle, no wires necessary. I read in many languages, and the Kindle is the best ... BEST... in terms of multilingual content and multiple dictionary support.

Last edited by xendula; 12-21-2012 at 02:22 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Zetmolm
Guru

@xendula: I believe you when you say that the Kindle is good. But did you actually compare it to the PocketBook Touch and/or other readers? What makes it better? The things you mention are the same for many ereaders.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will notice that I was not only talking about the device software itself, but also about the ecosystem that yro would be buying into.

I read in English, French, German and Spanish and used to teach languages. I also am a regular on the various amazon sites (mostly .fr and .de, but registered with the .com), so my recommendation is based on all of this. I doubt any other reader comes with the RAE and Oxord dictionaries, as well as a multitude of other good ones, with no extra charge, and lets you set up a dictionary per language (we're not talking swapping one for the other in the settings when needed), and, at the same time, has the same amount of foreign content available, but I would be interested to know if I'm wong here.

The only other eink readers I own at the moment are a Nook ST and a Bookeeen Cybook O HD FL. I also am familiar with Kobo content, and have played around with the Kobo Touch, and I have a myriad of ereading apps installed on my tablets.

To me, the store, dictionaries and ease of finding foreign content without the use of a computer at all are very strong arguments. And then there is the stellar customer service, a lit HD screen and great interface, but those features are unrelated to the OP questions.

Also, no, I have never even seen a Pocketbook in person. Have you compared it to the Kindle Paperwhite, and if so, how does it fare in comparisin?

Last edited by xendula; 12-22-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
@xendula: I believe you when you say that the Kindle is good. But did you actually compare it to the PocketBook Touch and/or other readers? What makes it better? The things you mention are the same for many ereaders.
What makes the Kindle excellent is the range of good commercial dictionaries available for it. Take a look in the Kindle Store on Amazon's web site and you'll find many hundreds of them available.

I don't believe that Pocketbook is nearly so good when it comes to availability of good dictionaries. Most of the dictionaries that are available for it are public domain "word lists", rather than proper dictionaries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Zetmolm
Guru

But, Harry, you did not actually compare the Kindle and the PocketBook dictionaries. You just "believe" Kindle is better. What I was hoping is that someone would have been able to compare the two.

What you say about the availability of dictionaries for the PocketBook may not be quite true. You can certainly buy some good dictionaries, e.g. on the Obreey website (PocketBook's bookshop). And the dictionaries I have used so far are very good. For the Kindle there may be more dictionaries but are they really better? The problem, once again, is that apparently no one ever compared the Kindle and the PocketBook in this respect.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle's dictionaries (for English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish, at least) are unquestionably better than those of Kobo, Sony, and nook, both in terms of the number of words included, and the quality of the definitions. In each case, the Kindle uses what may be regarded as the "benchmark" dictionaries for those languages.

The thread I've linked to below discusses dictionaries in detail:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198435

Last edited by HarryT; 12-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In each case, the Kindle uses what may be regarded as the "benchmark" dictionaries for those languages.
That's true for all languages, except for French, for which they licensed a no-name dictionary instead of one of the Robert or Larousse dictionaries.

Nevertheless, I'd still vote for the Kindle, because it's relatively easy to create new look-up dictionaries for almost any language combination for which bilingual word lists with sufficient entries exist.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

The good thing is, yro's languages of interest are English and Spanish, and for those, the dictionaries are great.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Zetmolm
Guru

Once again, I have no doubt that the quality of the Kindle dictionaries is excellent, so there is no need for all of you to keep repeating that. The question remains: how excellent are the Kindle dictionaries as compared to the PocketBook Touch. We can keep on saying to each other that 'my reader is the best', but as long as no one has made the comparison, that does not help a lot.

The ease with which you can create dictionaries is not a reason to vote for the Kindle, because it's also easy to create dictionaries for the PocketBook. There again: unless someone does a comparison we dont know which one is easier.

All I'm reading here is opinions, not facts based on comparison. Is there really no one here who has access to both the Kindle Paperwhite and the PocketBook Touch, and can tell us about how the dictionary functions compare?