Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #16
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
A friend of mine with an ipad made the point that many ipad owners will have downloaded ibooks and bought something to try out the process - thereby inflating the initial figures. Also, it isn't clear whether free books are included in the "purchases". When Jobs quotes 5 billion downloads from the app store, I think that this includes both free apps and updates to existing apps; my point is that they, like most businesses, like quoting big numbers, but such statistics need treating with care.

In the long term, I'm sure that it's right that once screen and battery technology allow a general purpose tablet computer to work in sunlight, not get hot, last for weeks off one charge, etc. - and be reasonably cheap, then the purpose-built reader will not have a place any longer. The notion ink adam already looks like a step in this direction.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
A friend of mine with an ipad made the point that many ipad owners will have downloaded ibooks and bought something to try out the process - thereby inflating the initial figures. Also, it isn't clear whether free books are included in the "purchases". When Jobs quotes 5 billion downloads from the app store, I think that this includes both free apps and updates to existing apps; my point is that they, like most businesses, like quoting big numbers, but such statistics need treating with care.

In the long term, I'm sure that it's right that once screen and battery technology allow a general purpose tablet computer to work in sunlight, not get hot, last for weeks off one charge, etc. - and be reasonably cheap, then the purpose-built reader will not have a place any longer. The notion ink adam already looks like a step in this direction.
The iPad/iPhone guide book/tips is also a popular download, which would be included in those sales figures. I do think people download a book just to see how it works but without the intention of using the device for reading
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
The NYT publishing an article promoting Apple? Get outta town.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
He lost me right at the start:
Quote:
THE Kindle from Amazon.com is designed to let us do one thing very well: read. To survive, it must excel at this, not only by jostling to stay a nose ahead of other e-readers, but also by maintaining an enormous lead over the Apple iPad and its coming competitors.
Because *he* sez so.
Riiiight.
Just like Porsches *have* to outsell Civics to survive.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have both an iPad and dedicated eInk reading devices, and wouldn't want to be without either.

The iPad makes an excellent reading device for reading at home. Its 10" screen is about the same size as a hardback book, and, indeed, the iPad itself is about the same weight as a hardback book. I find reading on it to be very pleasant indeed.

However, when "out and about", a 5" or 6" eInk device is a lot more convenient.

The devices are complimentary; neither is definitively "better" than the other.
Exactly. I bought a SONY PRS-505 last year and I love it. It is easy on the eyes, portable and strangers at the doctor's waiting room start up conversations with me about it. However, most of the books I read are non-fiction .pdfs and this is where the reader is somewhat lacking. So I am impatiently waiting for ADAM; the bigger screen and the dual screen option will give me a better flexibility and, hopefully, a better formatting for the .pdfs. I don't think it will fit in my handbag but then that's where the SONY comes in...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome savethebutterfly to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
An analogy of Kindle vs. Ipad can be made is dedicated GPS devices vs. smart phones. I believe the current state of GPS is the future state of dedicated reading device.

Another analogy is dedicated scanners vs. multifunction machines.

For a minority of people, a dedicated device is preferred. But for the majority of people, a multi-function device is suffice. Amazon's kindle hardware afters the minority while Apple' Ipad afters the mass. Amazon can not rely on the minorities to keep updating their devices as their business model because there would be no growth.

As technology advances, the gap between dedicated devices and multi-function devices will shrink. We don't know what kind of screen technology Apple will bring to the Ipad in the next few years. It could be a retina/paper/book display. If it is close to or surpass e-ink, the game is over. I Think the author's view is correct.

Last edited by ppw; 08-08-2010 at 10:00 AM.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #23
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have both an iPad and dedicated eInk reading devices, and wouldn't want to be without either.

The iPad makes an excellent reading device for reading at home. Its 10" screen is about the same size as a hardback book, and, indeed, the iPad itself is about the same weight as a hardback book. I find reading on it to be very pleasant indeed.

However, when "out and about", a 5" or 6" eInk device is a lot more convenient.

The devices are complimentary; neither is definitively "better" than the other.
I thought about getting rid of my DX and doing just that... though I would use the Kindle app for the iPad and get the Kindle 2/3 for on the go... Still up in the air thouhg
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #24
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The strongest point of the article is a subtle one: Why is Amazon so friggin obscure about its sales figures?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
The strongest point of the article is a subtle one: Why is Amazon so friggin obscure about its sales figures?
Because they don't believe in doing their competition's market research for them.

To paraphrase: why are the "friggin" numbers so important?

Amazon has achieved one important thing: they've made ebooks mainstream.
There's no going back on that. The rest...? (shrug)

Why should we care what one big corporation does to another?
Do they offer an acceptable product at an acceptable price?
Do they support it and sustain it?
Then, who cares if they sell 3 million or 5 million?

Really, what difference does it make to *us*?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Because they don't believe in doing their competition's market research for them.

To paraphrase: why are the "friggin" numbers so important?

Amazon has achieved one important thing: they've made ebooks mainstream.
There's no going back on that. The rest...? (shrug)

Why should we care what one big corporation does to another?
Do they offer an acceptable product at an acceptable price?
Do they support it and sustain it?
Then, who cares if they sell 3 million or 5 million?

As a standard procedure, I mistrust secretive companies. In a world where value is subjective, and it is bound to the perceptions of people, such secrecy can bring a company from hero to zero in no time. Secrecy is the mother of deception, and deception is the sister of theft.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #27
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

Hopefully keeps the competition on their toes and gives us more than 2 or 3 producers of readers ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Secrecy is the mother of deception, and deception is the sister of theft.
Very poetic.

I suppose you avoid Coka Cola like the plague, then.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #29
Logseman
Orisa

Quote:
Very poetic.

I suppose you avoid Coka Cola like the plague, then.
I don't. I just don't drink it if I can avoid it.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't. I just don't drink it if I can avoid it.
And you really shouldn't. Ever.
You literally don't know what's in the thing; their formula is the biggest secret in business.

Everybody has their own philosophy. Coca-cola, like Amazon, doesn't believe in helping their competitors. Let *them* figure out how to make money selling sweet colored water on their own. If they can.

Lots of companies rely on Trade Secrets to protect their business. Others don't even believe in IP. Fortunately, there's room for all kinds.