Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Pico projector

I have some plans to be on the move for a while. It is time to travel a bit. That made me think that one of those small pico projectors may be an interesting purchase to make. I have checked around the net but it is really hard to find some good comparisons and in most cases articles are a few years old. So considering the accumulated wealth of knowledge that is here perhaps I can pick your brains instead.

Some of my demands are

1) It should be small, no bigger than a large smartphone.
2) It has to provide decent lumens, I'm thinking I'll be using it late afternoon in hostels or cheap hotels, not always equipped with heavy curtains.
3) If high resolution provides better pictures on the wall, then bring it on.
4) Receive output from a smartphone (Galaxy Note)
5) Universal charger, no proprietary charge connectors

If you can think of anything else I ought to consider before making a purchase please point it out. I have never owned a projector and even if I've been trying to read up on it, I have a tendency to miss some major important points.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd think you would want to choose one with as long a lamp life as possible as well. And one whose bulb isn't almost as expensive as the projector itself is.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pico projectors use LED so their usage varies between 20,000 and 30,000 hours. Their smallness also seems to limit their resolution. Hence my conundrum.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Can't help you with a pico projector, but I've got a great recipe for pico de gallo...
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
Can't help you with a pico projector, but I've got a great recipe for pico de gallo...
You know you're on MR when EVERY thread [yes, even one discussing projectors] veers into recipes for cooking chicken!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
You know you're on MR when EVERY thread [yes, even one discussing projectors] veers into recipes for cooking chicken!
Poor Poohbear. I wonder if they'll ever catch up to you for your Winter Shenanigans.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Derrick24
Derrick24 began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can get the Orealo C1 MHL Slim Pico Projector that is 40 lumens Probably the brightest in its class for a smartphone sized one for $169

Theres also the Brookstone Pocket Projector Slim thats 25 lumens for $149.

Then theres the Aiptek A50P thats 35 lumens at $200+?

They all act as battery packs too.
Derrick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Than you for that Xmas gift, I'll look in to then when time permits.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Moderately high lumens will mean quite a power requirement and a lot of heat generation. It might help if the source was limited to three wavelengths (RGB) and the image was rastorized. I would think it would be fairly straightforward to estimate a theoretical limit on lumens that would be possible with current sources, power sources, and heat dissipation. My guess is that this would be a difficult product to create that people would find acceptable.

Anyone see any chickens here abouts?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Moderately high lumens will mean quite a power requirement and a lot of heat generation. It might help if the source was limited to three wavelengths (RGB) and the image was rastorized. I would think it would be fairly straightforward to estimate a theoretical limit on lumens that would be possible with current sources, power sources, and heat dissipation. My guess is that this would be a difficult product to create that people would find acceptable.

Nope! Un uh! Not around here ....
Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:

Don't these Pico projectors use LED lamps? I thought they were very energy efficient.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Don't these Pico projectors use LED lamps? I thought they were very energy efficient.
Yes and yes, but it's a lot of light that needs to be projected unless you're doing it over a very short distance and a small area.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Nope! Un uh! Not around here ....
SSSHHHHH!!!! I think I see one. Now let's sneak up on it veeeery quietly.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Hey? Do I hear something breathing behind me? Several somethings?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

So would that be hot enough to fry a chicken on? Just kidding Poohbear.