Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #1366
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Doesn't that turn it into lunch instead of breakfast?
I use different time zones. I make it in EST and eat it at the Prime Meridian...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #1367
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I bought something new for the spice rack today: powdered liquorice root. Then comes the question - how on earth do I use it? Any suggestions?

Dressings, marinades and sauces seems a good idea - but liquorice has a rather assertive and sweet flavour, so I wandered what it would 'go' with. Beef perhaps, or herring. Cabbages. Fennel? (almost the same flavour).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #1368
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Great breakfast this morning!
Babbaganoush, Pita, Feta cheese and Kalamata olives!
That sounded so good, Stitchy, that I made some myself. I used the whole eggplant (not skinned), less tahini (I'm still trimming calories), and I threw in the cumin with some smoked paprika and fresh basil. To cook it without removing the skin, cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. As soon as it's done, toss the halves one at a time into a collander skin side up and press down using the bottom of a bowl to squeeze out excess liquid and then toss it into the blender. This way, there's no mess and you don't have to wait for it to cool. The result is a little darker and less creamy than usual Baba Ghanoush but still great and hopefully there are more goody goody kinda molecules in the skin. We ate it with feta, Kalamata olives, and diced tomatoes. Also on the table for lunch was some leftover VR's black bean salsa, a smidgen of leftover homemade Taverna salad, some store-bought Greek hummus, and some goat cheese with Hatch chili peppers. We ate these for lunch with baked lentil chips that we recently found at the market. A nice Mediterranean feast! And there's plenty left for later in the week. Thanks, Stitchy.

VR's Black Bean Salsa: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=81
Taverna Salad: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=223
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00138.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	810.4 KB
ID:	75629  
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #1369
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
A nice Mediterranean feast! And there's plenty left for later in the week. Thanks, Stitchy.
Looks great. I'll be over tomorrow for lunch!

Stitchawl
Old 08-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #1370
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Friday night's chili reheated in the microwave for lunch. Exciting stuff.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #1371
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Friday night's chili reheated in the microwave for lunch. Exciting stuff.
Hey, just a spoonful of chopped onion would make that taste as if it were a brand new meal! God bless chili!

Stitchawl
Old 08-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #1372
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Hey, just a spoonful of chopped onion would make that taste as if it were a brand new meal! God bless chili!

Stitchawl
You know what they say? A good chili or curry burns twice.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #1373
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Good din tonight! Try this....

Chicken breasts with skin on
Coleman's Mustard powder
salt pepper
2-3 cloves Garlic
1 fat Tbs Whole Grain Mustard
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup whole cream
3-4 baby leeks cut into 1/2" pieces
Olive oil

Rub the chicken with olive oil, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper, then put a TBS of mustard powder on each, rubbing it in to coat both sides. Add a bit of olive oil to a fry pan, high heat, and sear each side of the chicken, getting a good golden brown crispy exterior. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 6-8 minutes. Add the cut leeks and cover again. (You may want to add in 1/2 cup of hot water.) Stir the leeks every few minutes. When they soften, add the whole grain mustard, garlic, white wine, and cream. Stir and bring to a boil, stirring it into the leeks. Cover and cook for another few minutes, stirring often. When the cream sauce has reduced and thickened, it's ready to serve!

Good stuff!

Stitchawl
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #1374
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
A while back I got on a peanut butter making kick, but in the process burned out the motor on my little cheap food processor. I happened to see online that some of the old hand cranked meat grinders had a "nut butter" disk, so I found one on ebay and ordered it. Oh my -- it works great! Much more satisfying than listening to the whine of an overtaxed motor. I just did a little bit tonight to try it out. Not quite as creamy as that made in the food processor, but perfectly spreadable. Peanut butter toast for breakfast tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pb.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	75675  
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #1375
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
A while back I got on a peanut butter making kick, but in the process burned out the motor on my little cheap food processor. I happened to see online that some of the old hand cranked meat grinders had a "nut butter" disk, so I found one on ebay and ordered it. Oh my -- it works great! Much more satisfying than listening to the whine of an overtaxed motor. I just did a little bit tonight to try it out. Not quite as creamy as that made in the food processor, but perfectly spreadable. Peanut butter toast for breakfast tomorrow!
That looks soooo good. I really love home-made peanut butter. There was a health food store in the town I lived in in New England that had a peanut butter grinder, and I used to eat a lot of it back then. The jar stuff is OK for cooking, but not for eating by the spoonful right out of the jar!

Stitchawl
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #1376
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The doggie has asked me to post some pictures of my peanut butter setup so he can be on the lookout for one. I have a Universal No. 1 meat grinder with the "nut butter grinder" blade. It actually grinds the nuts between two flat surfaces which releases the oils. On this model the paste is forced out around the perimeter of the plates. You don't need to add any oil when making peanut butter -- it has its own. The first few turns are really hard, but once it gets some paste going it kind of lubes itself and gets a lot easier. I put it through twice today. The first pass, although spreadable, is more like riced peanut butter. When I put it through the second time it came out in beautiful shiny flakes of peanut butter. This is about a lb of peanut butter -- one jar of dry roasted peanuts with the only ingredient being peanuts. I added some salt myself. You can use salted peanuts, but I found that when they add salt they tend to add other ingredients, too, and I wanted to avoid that. It needs to be kept in the refrigerator, and from what I understand it is good for several weeks that way. It's fun, and it's tasty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pb6.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	75702   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb4.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	75703   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb5.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	75704   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	75705   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	75706  
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #1377
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Terrific! Thanks, Betty. I'm off to find one now. I wonder if I could also make bacon or doughnuts with one of those things?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #1378
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I wonder if I could also make bacon or doughnuts with one of those things?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #1379
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Mmmm-doughnut butter.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #1380
wannabee
Media Bloke

I've been told by my doctor to just eat the doughnut holes. I've been making up the calory shortfall with really nice red wine.

Last edited by wannabee; 08-24-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Hadn't paid enough attention to doughnuts to spell them correctly.