Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Screen contrast/greyscale issue

I've been noticing that something's wrong with the greyscale/contrast of my T1's screen, especially font anti-alias/rendering. The fonts aren't drawn smooth, but rather jagged, and look fuzzy. Since I prefer small serif fonts for reading, this bugged me a lot.

So I made some greyscale test images, in 32 greyscale. I know that T1's spec is 16 greyscale, so understandably there's some emulated greyscale display in between. But you can see in my attachments (the first two) that there are a few points where the grey block isn't clean and straight, but more like checkered.

Anyway, I wonder if it's just my unit or if this is a rather widespread issue. I'm also attaching the test images, so please tell me what you see on your T1. (The small gif is the original that I used to create the test images.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rs_P1060678.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	82392   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs_P1060680.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	82393   Click image for larger version

Name:	greyscale2.png
Views:	186
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	82394   Click image for larger version

Name:	greyscale3.png
Views:	190
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	82395   Click image for larger version

Name:	grayscale-500.gif
Views:	161
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	82396  

Last edited by soseono; 02-10-2012 at 05:07 PM.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Holtor
Holtor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Nice test. But is the result not exactly what one would expect? Maybe I am misinterpreting the pictures, but when the display can display only 16 shades of gray and you try to make it show shades in-between, then they shall be dithered. Possibly the text-smoothing algorithm is not optimized for 16 shades of gray.
Holtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi!

Nothing wrong so far.

1) Your grey scale images show the typical dithering. In-between-grey-shades will be mixed with (depending on the used algorithm) regular or irregular patterns. Same on my PRS350.

2) What interest me is what you mean with 'jagged fonts'. I presume you are a very accurate person. What you see is probably the (in my opinion) bad screen-resolution of the 6-inch-readers. 600px * 800px isn't that good for six inches.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
So showing a 32 shade greyscale image on a device that offers 16 shade greyscale display, gives some irregular dithering... not exactly unexpected... if it did proper dithering for 32 shade greyscale then it would be a 32 shade greyscale display but it isn't, it's 16 shade...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
So according to you, the dithering is natural and shouldn't be the cause of my problem. I had a chance to compare my T1 to someone else's side by side, and there really is a problem with the fonts. My display also looked comparatively more washed out, so maybe that's why? I'm just trying to figure out why, but hopefully Sony will send me a warranty replacement soon.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Duff box, bung it back....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote