Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hello. PRS-505 and a Mac

Hi,

The UK version of the Sony PRS-505 is my first eBook reader and I'm loving the technology! It's just wonderful to read from and the battery just goes on and on - I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time with it.

I'm hoping there's a few other early adopters here in the UK and maybe even some of them with a Mac? If you are, then maybe you can help me with the Waterstones store? I've posted my problem in the Reader Troubleshooting forum (Help! DRMed books crashing the UK PRS-505 on a Mac), so head along there and make me even happier!

Looking forward to chatting here.

Mike.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Scarletangel
Scarletangel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCowboy View Post
Hi,

The UK version of the Sony PRS-505 is my first eBook reader and I'm loving the technology! It's just wonderful to read from and the battery just goes on and on - I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time with it.

I'm hoping there's a few other early adopters here in the UK and maybe even some of them with a Mac? If you are, then maybe you can help me with the Waterstones store? I've posted my problem in the Reader Troubleshooting forum (Help! DRMed books crashing the UK PRS-505 on a Mac), so head along there and make me even happier!

Looking forward to chatting here.

Mike.
Hi,
I am about to buy the Sony e-reader and I am UK based, I would like to know if I can use it on my Mac with some kind of software, I have read that Calibre would do it, but have been unable to download it, any advice would be much appreciated, bearing in mind that I am not a techy and not yet very good with the Mac as I have not long had a mac i'm also blonde! Which says it all.
Scarletangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Reader and Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletangel View Post
Hi,
I am about to buy the Sony e-reader and I am UK based, I would like to know if I can use it on my Mac with some kind of software, I have read that Calibre would do it, but have been unable to download it, any advice would be much appreciated, bearing in mind that I am not a techy and not yet very good with the Mac as I have not long had a mac i'm also blonde! Which says it all.
Well there's good news and bad news So let's get the bad news out of the way first. Sony do not officially support the Mac, so it does not provide Mac tools needed to download DRMed books from Waterstones directly on to the Reader. However, there are ways round that (in theory).

The good news is that the Mac sees the Reader as just another storage device. Plug it in and it will appear on the Desktop. So it is possible to drag unDRMed books - such as those provided on the Sony CD, those from Gutenberg or feedbooks and so on, from your Mac, straight on to the Reader.

Now, about the Waterstones store. I haven't got my Reader to talk to it as yet, but others have - so if you pop along to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28883

You will see instructions on how to get the Reader working with the Waterstones store. You will need access to Microsoft Windows to get things started, but that's not too hard these days.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Just a note to say that personally I've so far had no problems with my mac and sony talking to each other; however, it's a Sony 500 I own, not 505, and mine is the older, pre-Intel model of ibook and mac-mini. That may make a difference. Also, my Sony does not appear on my mac desktop when it's plugged in - but shows up very nicely in the free calibre software, which I use in lieu of the official Windows-only Sony software.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote