Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Where to buy Jetbook Lite? (Feb 2010)

I've finally decided to buy my first dedicated e-book reader, and have chosen JBL.

However, about a month back it was widely available for $120(ok $119.99), notably on NewEgg.

Now the price has gone UP to $130(that is $129.99).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723010

Anyone know of a good place to buy it for $120 or less?

I entered my $110 make your own price on Ectaco but apparently that is too low...

Maybe there is a mobileread secret coupon code to enter in NewEgg
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't know of anywhere you can get it cheaper. I, like you, decided too late to get in on any really good deals. Paid $129 for it at Newegg. If you are in no hurry, I suggest you keep checking their website and they may have them on special again sometime. (I couldn't wait ) I also looked for coupon codes but didn't find any. Good luck.
BTW, I entered $130 at Ectaco. I figured if I could buy it from them for the same price as Newegg, I would rather buy it from them. I didn't even get a response from them. I wonder if they ever take an offer or if it is just a "teaser".

Last edited by clerky96; 02-15-2010 at 08:47 AM.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Thanks for the quick answer!

I suspect Ectaco will actually inform us only when the "official" price drops to the level we entered.

Has someone actually bought Jetbook through this "enter your own price" service?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I used it in the UK.

They didn't match the price I entered, but gave me a code for £20 off that was close enough
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Fictionwise and eReader.com offer deals for the JBL that bundle their book buying
credits with the purchase.

I got my JBL from eReader.com for $150 with a $50 book credit. So if you end up
getting $50 worth of books, then the reader only cost you ~$100.

That was 18 DEC 2009, haven't checked the offer lately, but it is probably still
available.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I entered a price of $120 for the JBL at the Ectaco website, and never heard back from them. I bought it for $117 from Newegg.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Newegg price seems to vary up and down, so patience is probably your best bet.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Fictionwise and eReader.com offer deals for the JBL that bundle their book buying
credits with the purchase.

I got my JBL from eReader.com for $150 with a $50 book credit. So if you end up
getting $50 worth of books, then the reader only cost you ~$100.

That was 18 DEC 2009, haven't checked the offer lately, but it is probably still
available.

Luck;
Ken
I just checked Fictionwise and ereader websites. They don't have this offer anymore . NewEgg don't charge sales Tax if you are not in CA,TN or NJ and charge only $1.99 for shipping so I think $129.99 is the best price.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
JeffHVT
JeffHVT began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book Lite
Newegg shipping

The first JBL, that I purchased from Newegg, I didn't specify shipping method and they sent via DHL/USPS hybrid - 8 days shipping less than 500 miles. Next time I called first and was told that I could select the UPS standard (3 or 4 day) shipping option (same $1.99) and got it the next day. I would NEVER select DHL global from ANY vendor!
JeffHVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Begemot
Zealot

For the record, I ended up ordering Aluratek Libre for $140 thanks to this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73391

I figure internal battery has got to be worth $10(don't care much about MP3 though).

I do wonder if my order will include 2GB card, since Fry's claims to do so. Not a big deal in any case.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
I do wonder if my order will include 2GB card, since Fry's claims to do so. Not a big deal in any case.

It should! Mine from Tigerdirect came sealed and packaged like the attached image.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A617-1020-02.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	45785  
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I just checked Fictionwise and ereader websites. They don't have this offer anymore . NewEgg don't charge sales Tax if you are not in CA,TN or NJ and charge only $1.99 for shipping so I think $129.99 is the best price.
Fictionwise offers the reader, but not the micropay rebate anymore.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
alyepperson
alyepperson began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Spent too much

I paid $139 for my Jetbook and learned too late it was junk. The on/off switch stopped working - it apparently can't be fixed or repaired but I can get an instant credit and update by spending more money......NOT! I am just going to go buy a Nook Tablet for my EReading needs. Lesson Learned
alyepperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyepperson View Post
I paid $139 for my Jetbook and learned too late it was junk. The on/off switch stopped working - it apparently can't be fixed or repaired but I can get an instant credit and update by spending more money......NOT! I am just going to go buy a Nook Tablet for my EReading needs. Lesson Learned
If you get any device with a defective part (like your on/off switch), you
can and should return the device. The manufacturer would have at least
a replacement for any defective units, policy.

Now if they can see the hammer marks around the switch, they might be
somewhat skeptical of your claim, but it would not be worth the bother to
dispute it.

Isn't it great that the switch lasted long enough for you to so thoroughly
evaluate the device.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; This appears to still be a good link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0CT9361
$57

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
alyepperson
alyepperson began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Lesson Learned

Ken - Yes I agree it should have been repaired or replaced but all Ectaco told me they would do is give me an instant credit and upgrade it IF I spent more money. I took very good care of my Jetbook I carried it in thick foam case, there are no scratches on the screen or case. It looks like I just took it out of the box it came in, which I still have by the way. It is just the darn on/off switch and it happened while I was reading a really good Ebook too. I have since went and bought the Nook tablet. The price has now dropped because a newer version of Nook just came out and it did cost a little more than I was originally wanting to pay but so far I have been able to finish my original Ebook & as much as I originally like my jetbook this Nook Tablet is so much better. I guess it is true you do get what you pay for and I tried to save a little dough and it cost me even more. Again lesson learned.
alyepperson is offline   Reply With Quote