Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
Rick_Aus
Rick_Aus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon
Cybook on OS X

Update: Thanks to brilliant support from Bookeen my Orizon is working fine. I appologize for my original upset post.

It turned out to be a corrupt File System on the Orizon caused by a faulty USB cable - which of course means that trying another cable didn't fix the problem, and when I tried to reformat the device with the original cable that failed too.

New cable and a reformat - and all is golden.

One thing Bookeen did tell me was that you should not format the device with Disk Utility, as there is a known issue with it - but they happily provide detailed instructions on how to properly format the device on an OS X machine.

Bookeen are excellent, and unless you have a compounded cable problem like I did, so does the Orizon.

Again, Sorry.

-----

I bought a Cybook Orizon, plugged it in, charged it and copied my eBook library over to it.

Then on my OS X box I tried to unmount it, and it remounted itself. I tried again, and it remounted. I tried unmount, and it remounted itself. Fine, I thought, some other devices do this, and you just unplug them. So I did.

The next time I tried to plug it in, I got an error stating the device wasn't unmounted properly, and it would not mount. No options to do anything. Even checking in /dev/disk# it wasn't there.

So I plugged it into a Windows box, and nothing. Ubuntu box. Nothing.

Basically the rule seems to be you get to plug a Cybook into an OS X box once. After that you can charge it, but never change what is on it.

Can't even reformat it as it is invisible to the OS. However the device still comes up that it is connected with the USB screen when you plug it in - so it isn't the USB port.

Shutting it down, reinitializing it, all do nothing.

If you are running OS X I wouldn't buy a Bookeen Product - they say they support OS X, but they way the device is setup, they really dont.

Last edited by Rick_Aus; 04-20-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Status Update
Rick_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The cybook is seen as some storage device by the os. OsX should have no problem whatsoever with it.

Either OsX screwed up when un-mounting (That would be be weird, and it seams you see your books so..)
Do you have an other usb cable to try ? i've seen cable the let the power though to charge, but no data. Does the cybook display the "connected" screen ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Aus View Post
I bought a Cybook Orizon, plugged it in, charged it and copied my eBook library over to it.

Then on my OS X box I tried to unmount it, and it remounted itself. I tried again, and it remounted. I tried unmount, and it remounted itself. Fine, I thought, some other devices do this, and you just unplug them. So I did.

The next time I tried to plug it in, I got an error stating the device wasn't unmounted properly, and it would not mount. No options to do anything. Even checking in /dev/disk# it wasn't there.

So I plugged it into a Windows box, and nothing. Ubuntu box. Nothing.

Basically the rule seems to be you get to plug a Cybook into an OS X box once. After that you can charge it, but never change what is on it.

Can't even reformat it as it is invisible to the OS. However the device still comes up that it is connected with the USB screen when you plug it in - so it isn't the USB port.

Shutting it down, reinitializing it, all do nothing.

If you are running OS X I wouldn't buy a Bookeen Product - they say they support OS X, but they way the device is setup, they really dont.
Sorry about that, must be extremely frustrating, but you shouldn't generalize. I've never had any problem with either my Gen3 or my Opus on OSX. Have you contacted Bookeen support? There was obviously a problem with your device, hopefully they can help you sort it out.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Welcome to Mobileread Rick Glad to see you've got yourself sorted ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote