Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Added abilites we would like to see

With every firmware update the capability of the Kindle changes somewhat. So how about a thread related to the capabilities of the future we would like to see?

Mine is; Lending capabilities.

You now how when you lend someone a book and then after a while you forget it and then one day you start to look for it and you absolutely no idea where it is located. With an e-book that shouldn't be an issue. Using Whispernet, wouldn't it be a delight if I could lend you a book that I have finished reading, just as I could with a p-book? But with the added capability that I can have it returned on my conditions, not yours! If I lend you a book then it wouldn't, temporarily, be available on my Kindle, only yours. But the book would still belong to my library (S/N).
I see some formidable opportunities relating to social networking this way.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Big Shirley
Enthusiast
Big Shirley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Galaxy S, Nook Color, Sony PRS-950
I would love to be able to lend books for a short duration of my own choosing.
Big Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
- Support for public library books in both ePub and OverDrive formats.
- Subfolders to be able to further classify collections.
- The ability to mark a book as "Read" (red not reed) similar to the way a book is marked (by Amazon) as "Sample".
- Choice of fonts (without a hack).
- Support for personal screensavers (without a hack).
- The ability to be reading a sample, get to the end, click "Buy Now" and have the purchased book replace the sample that you're reading. (this one's pretty much blue sky!)
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
-Allow customers to effect Kindle book gift giving via redemption codes. A user can click a button to “Purchase the Kindle book as a gift”, and either send it directly by entering the recipients email address or by entering their own email address that allows them to forward the redemption code on their own.

-Let customers limit Kindle book sharing on their account by designating a book in their Archive list as “Not Shared”, “Private”, etc.

-Let customers to limit Kindle device purchases (say for their children) by assigning an amount on the account (per month/week), turning off pruchases altogether on the device and/or making a single Kindle on the account the ‘primary’ and only purchaser for that account.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Ability to use a two column display in landscape mode, at least on the KDX and KDXG.
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I'd like to see the ability to have left-justified text restored. It was there, then it was removed.

I'd also like to see user control over paragraph spacing and first-line indent spacing. I'd also like to be able to do some minor editing on misspelled words, etc.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I'd like to see the ability to have left-justified text restored. It was there, then it was removed.

I'd also like to see user control over paragraph spacing and first-line indent spacing. I'd also like to be able to do some minor editing on misspelled words, etc.
+99999 on the justification options. Don't care much about speel chack because if it's that bad I am likely returning the book anyway. but can see how it would be annoying at some point especially since I suspect publishers are using software and 3rd worlder's who "learned" english last week as proofers/speel chackers these days...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Speaking of full justification, the use of a good hyphenation routine for breaking lines. Currently there is no hyphenation used, so that would be a big plus.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How about they throw us Kindle 1 users a bone and give us collections, or folders, or whatever it is that K2 users have?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
A good FULL epub implementation.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
+99999 on the justification options. Don't care much about speel chack because if it's that bad I am likely returning the book anyway. but can see how it would be annoying at some point especially since I suspect publishers are using software and 3rd worlder's who "learned" english last week as proofers/speel chackers these days...
3rd Worlders???
I would think that this is a little derogatory, considering that this happens to be an international forum.

Would love to have option for a smaller font size- Am usually on the smallest font size and sometimes, even that is not small enough especially with some books with a larger "built in" native font size.

Last edited by arvsinha; 07-26-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added my input to the tread, after the protest
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
rick98761
rick98761 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I would like to see the ability to import books with there own dictionary (like dune) into the main one. Its difficult to flip around them on the kindle when you have to remember or book mark the location it starts and slowly flip to the page with that definition on it.
rick98761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
More or less in order of descending priority; assumes current hardware:
- PDF links and annotation, if not PDF reflow.
- Unicode fonts (supporting at least Cyrillic, Japanese/Korean/Chinese for a start).
- Overdrive support for Kindle MOBI/TPZ formats. Amazon's not going to support ePub directly as long as their own format is 70% of the ebook market. But they could add ePub-to-MOBI conversion to the conversion service...
- Access to the 'NCX' TOC via hotkey. Kindle ebooks are now supposed to have an NCX TOC in addition to an HTML TOC for better chapter navigation, but there's no way to view and navigate the NCX TOC text itself except with the Kindle Previewer application. Navigating to the HTML TOC is awkward (2.5 update made it more so by removing TOC option from MENU, now it's: MENU/Go To.../joystick to Table of Contents button), and navigation within the HTML TOC is too inefficient, especially when the TOC spills out over several pages as it often does. The NCX TOC may have multiple levels for better presentation and more efficient navigation. My idea would be to have ALT+T (or whatever) pop up a window displaying the NCX TOC, highlighting your current position in the document, and allow you to navigate elsewhere directly using the joystick. NCX TOC is a feature shared with ePub format and which many ePub reading systems support, and it is better than what Kindle currently offers.
- 'jump to hyperlink' page navigation. When you see a hyperlink on a page, you have to navigate over the intervening text, requiring a complex series of joystick maneuvers. Hotkeys that let you navigate to hyperlinks directly (such as ALT+N for 'next' and ALT+P for 'previous') would be very helpful when reading material with footnotes or links to other locations in a book (or external web links).
- Ability to play embedded audio files (as you apparently can with Kindle for iPad now) in 'enhanced' ebooks. (Video will have to wait..)
- a way to alternate quickly between two locations (which could be in different books), or perhaps a split screen mode so you could have two locations/books displayed at the same time. I'm not sure what I'd use this for beyond language learning (e.g. Italian text in one, english in the other).
- I would LOVE to see them figure out how to map text to audiobook (or vice versa), so you could navigate audiobooks with text search, and see the text that's being read, etc. But Kindle needs more storage space to handle more than a handful of audiobook files.
- ability to customize screen savers. I'm too lazy to hack just for this, but admit it would be nice to personalize the screen saver images.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Good list. Look, I am not asking for much. Just one thing. Just get us the SDK, a functional SDK with full functionality. That's all the Kindle community needs. We can take it from there.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #15
significance
significance began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
My priorities:
1) Ability to annotate PDFs
2) Ability to sort books into collections from my PC, since it is so slow to do that on the Kindle itself.
3) Folders, allowing hierarchical sorting.
4) Easier control over screen saver images.
significance is offline   Reply With Quote