Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Goondu
Goondu began at the beginning.

Device: PB902, Sony 950
Best Fonts in your opinion

Hi

For those who installed new fonts on your 950, can you share which you think is the best font for 950?

I just got a 950 and would like to install a font

Thanks a lot
Goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
I'm very fond of 'fontin' - which is free, so give it a try for nowt.... it's a serif font, but not too thin - unlike the sony font. It was a little 'light' in contrast on my 505 to a sans-serif Gill sans font, but looked that much better. Fontin looks excellent on my new blue 350! (did the Boroda hack without any issues).

Gill Sans is very good for a sans serif whether on LCD, ereader screen or printed out on paper - it's my default font in word on my Macbook (Gill Sans comes as standard with Macs...).

Tried Droid, but found it a bit ugly - the heights of the ascenders (?) seemed too short, or rather the bottom round bit of a 'b' (for example) seemed too big compared to the vertical line.

So far with a bit of preliminary fiddling with an html file in Word, seems like (for a 350) Fontin 10pt with line spacing at exactly 10.5pt (to open it up a bit) works nicely with Calibre conversion to epub. I leave Calibre on its defaults for font sizes etc, just change the margins down to 2pt all round.

Here's a pic of a page of fontin on my 350 as formatted above - the photo doesn't do the sony justice at all, unfortunately. It's surprisingly difficult to get a photo of these ereaders that really reflects how they appear in person....

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Caecilia. The Kindle-font. Very well readable on eInk-screens. But you have to buy it.
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Many Overdrive library books use a font called Charis and I think it's very good. I am using it as my custom font right now but I might change to something else. I'm just getting tired of all my books using the same font.

Charis can be downloaded free here:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=CharisSILfont

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
wn0x
wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Lexia DaMa - Very similar to Caecilia if not better in my opinion. The four basic fonts can be downloaded from here for free: http://fontpark.net/en/font/lexia-dama/
wn0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Caecilia PMN is best.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I like Trebuchet MS on my 650.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I've taken screenshots of examples of Droid Serif, Fontin, and Georgia on my 350 (they also have adjusted line heights). Out of those, I've used Georgia for the longest time, and am currently using Fontin just because I get bored and switch a lot. Droid Serif I do like a lot, but a paragraph of it sometimes looks dense to me.

I didn't actually like the look of Caecilia when I tested it on the 350, but that's just personal preference.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
gsgleason
Just some dude
gsgleason began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wn0x View Post
Lexia DaMa - Very similar to Caecilia if not better in my opinion. The four basic fonts can be downloaded from here for free: http://fontpark.net/en/font/lexia-dama/
That only has one file. Don't I need 4?

[edit]
there is a page for each:
http://www.fontpark.net/en/font/lexia-dama/
http://www.fontpark.net/en/font/lexia-dama-italic/
http://www.fontpark.net/en/font/lexia-dama-bold/
http://www.fontpark.net/en/font/lexia-dama-bold-italic/

Last edited by gsgleason; 12-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.
gsgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post
That only has one file. Don't I need 4?
A full font family has regular, italic, bold, and bold italic. If the font doesn't come with all the different varieties, forget it and find a different font to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
duncann
duncann began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, T1
Minion Pro Medium Condensed or Warnock Pro Caption. I've probably tried close to 25 fonts and I always come back to either of these two fonts.
duncann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
dilaverson
dilaverson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-T1, Kindle DX, Tolino Shine
Hello everyone, my first post here. I need the name of the default serif font on Sony PRS-350. I did try search first, but to no avail -- seems like everyone referring to it as 'the default' font. Many thanks.

Last edited by dilaverson; 12-22-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Typo
dilaverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Caecilia Bold, the non-Kindle version. Also Caecilia Heavy for when the lighting's worse or the eyes are tired. IMO Lexia Dama is ugly and doesn't compare to it. The post further up of Fontin looks nice, but I've messed with different stuff and my pre-mentioned preference remains unrivaled.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote