Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
henkwehe
henkwehe began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
abbr tag problem

Possibly an old problem but I can not get out .
I use the tag < abbr title = " Get out , Satan ( Gr) "> Apage Satanas ! </ abbr> in a text.
Did the styles.ccs : abbr {border -bottom: 2px dotted black;} used .
In SIGIL is it visable.
The problem is that this is not shown in Adobe Reader ( 3 ) and the Linus FDReader (mint 17.1)

Does anyone have an idea ??
Henk

Last edited by henkwehe; 05-03-2015 at 10:54 AM.
henkwehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Other than your capital "A" in </Abbr> it appears that your syntax is correct according to W3Schools. For proper xhtml you need to use a lower case "a".

Code:
<abbr title="Get out, Satan (Gr)">Apage Satanas!</abbr>

css:
abbr {border-bottom: 2px dotted black}
I'm not sure, but it sounds like Adobe Reader/FDReader might not support the <abbr> tag?? I personally haven't used it before.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
henkwehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Other than your capital "A" in </Abbr> it appears that your syntax is correct according to W3Schools. For proper xhtml you need to use a lower case "a".

Code:
<abbr title="Get out, Satan (Gr)">Apage Satanas!</abbr>

css:
abbr {border-bottom: 2px dotted black}
I'm not sure, but it sounds like Adobe Reader/FDReader might not support the <abbr> tag?? I personally haven't used it before.

I use in HTML the lower case correctly.

Henk
Old 05-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is not really a Sigil issue, but a EPUB coding being ignored by devices issue.
It seems that Adobe strikes again. (This is not listed in the MR Adobe bug list https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPUB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
henkwehe

MMM Thanks a lot, possible is there hope??
Old 05-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you're talking about the MouseOver balloon showing the details (contents of the title attribute) about the abbreviation, I don't think it's very realistic to expect that to work in anything but a browser/webkit situation. Certainly not in any RMSDK-based rendering system.

Wait ... what are you saying isn't visible? The dotted underline, or the mouseover text (or the main text)? I see the dotted underline and the main text in ADE 2.0.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-03-2015 at 12:51 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
henkwehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you're talking about the MouseOver balloon showing the details (contents of the title attribute) about the abbreviation, I don't think it's very realistic to expect that to work in anything but a browser/webkit situation. Certainly not in any RMSDK-based rendering system.

Wait ... what are you saying isn't visible? The dotted underline, or the mouseover text (or the main text)? I see the dotted underline and the main text in ADE 2.0.
Only the bodytext is visible.

Henk
Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkwehe View Post
I use the tag < abbr title = " Get out , Satan ( Gr) "> Apage Satanas ! </ abbr> in a text.
As a rule of thumb, html/css elements for displaying hover text don't work with ePub2 readers/apps.

Quote:
The problem is that this is not shown in Adobe Reader ( 3 ) [...]
ADE 4 supports ePub3, but you'll need to convert your ePub2 to ePub3 with the ePub3 output plugin. (After ePub3 conversion your code will work as designed.)

Quote:
[...] and the Linus FDReader (mint 17.1)
FBReader is completely outdated. I'd recommend Azardi (freeware) or the Chromium Readium app for testing purposes. Both had no problems with the <abbr> tag (in ePub3 files).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
henkwehe

Thank a lot for your professional help Doitsu.

Henk