Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Paperwhite Lights Out

I'd had a problem I initially blamed on a cheap aftermarket case with the auto sleep/wake feature. I described it in post #72 of this thread.

Since then, this has happened to me about three or four times, using only the "good" case. I notice that I'm having trouble seeing the text clearly, and I double check the font settings, and then finally the light settings. Although everything is right where it's supposed to be, the light is OFF. I always keep it on 7, and that's where it stays. I bump it to either 6 or 8, the light comes on and I can set it back to 7 where it belongs.

I have yet to recognize anything that might be causing this. Is anybody else having this problem, or am I just special?

Thanks,
Andy
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
I'd had a problem I initially blamed on a cheap aftermarket case with the auto sleep/wake feature. I described it in post #72 of this thread.

Since then, this has happened to me about three or four times, using only the "good" case. I notice that I'm having trouble seeing the text clearly, and I double check the font settings, and then finally the light settings. Although everything is right where it's supposed to be, the light is OFF. I always keep it on 7, and that's where it stays. I bump it to either 6 or 8, the light comes on and I can set it back to 7 where it belongs.

I have yet to recognize anything that might be causing this. Is anybody else having this problem, or am I just special?

Thanks,
Andy
This happens on the official case too it's misaligned when you close it. Make sure to properly shut the case. The magnets have to line up perfectly or it wont turn on the light when you open it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Have you tried doing a restart? Home Screen -> Settings -> Menu-> Restart. Be sure to select "Restart" and NOT "Reset Device." Every once in a while mine seems to get confused; the light stays on even after putting the unit in sleep mode, or, alternatively, the light will not come on when I wake the unit up. After rebooting, everything goes back to normal. For me, this does not happen as often under the most recent firmware update, but does still sometimes occur (maybe once a month). In any case, restarting has always resolved the problem.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, just yesterday the light on my PW would not come on. A restart fixed it though. Whew!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for responding, guys.

I've never needed to go so far as a restart; just bumping the level up or down is enough to remind the PW that the light should be on. I need to remember to try closing the cover and reopening it to see if that changes it, too.

Hey, as long as I know it's not just me, I'm happy!
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for responding, guys.

I've never needed to go so far as a restart; just bumping the level up or down is enough to remind the PW that the light should be on. I need to remember to try closing the cover and reopening it to see if that changes it, too.

Hey, as long as I know it's not just me, I'm happy!
It's not I've had this happen to me alot but the for first time a few weeks ago I could get the light to come back on and had to do what you did.

It's now happen several times. I figure it out. It's the magnet not the case. I've had it happen at least four times. Usually I just shut and reopen when it happen before but that isn't working anymore. Turn the case on it's front face down on your knee then use your fingers to slide and press along the edges of the case. (add firm but gentle pressure.) Now reopen the case and the light will come on.

Hopefully Amazon will fix this in the next Paperwhite.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict

Blossom, I don't know about the REAL PW case, but it sounds like mine is designed differently. There are two magnets on the edge of the case that hold the cover closed, but the one for the auto-on feature is centered about 1" from the side and 1/2" from the bottom. The "good" case has a wear pattern there; the "bad" case has the magnet placed crooked, so the liner actually bulges on one side.

I just find it difficult to believe that the placement is that critical. (shrugs)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Blossom, I don't know about the REAL PW case, but it sounds like mine is designed differently. There are two magnets on the edge of the case that hold the cover closed, but the one for the auto-on feature is centered about 1" from the side and 1/2" from the bottom. The "good" case has a wear pattern there; the "bad" case has the magnet placed crooked, so the liner actually bulges on one side.

I just find it difficult to believe that the placement is that critical. (shrugs)
It's not a placement issue but the magnet not making proper contact. This could be caused from number of factors. My theory on my case is As I use it more the material become worn and soft so the magnet is no longer making contact like it suppose to. Pressing on that area will fix that problem.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I, literally, have two magnets shoved in the cover of a normal case. That works nicely.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote