Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 06:56 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I said calibre uses type="cover" in the guide to point to the cover image and type="titlepage" (spelling is correct) to point to the HTML file that contains the cover image. This is something used INTERNALLY by calibre during processing. There is no relevant standard, indeed this usage existed long before EPUB existed. And the EPUB standard speaks about type="title-page" (note the hyphen) not type="titlepage" anyway.

I dont know what all this verbiage is hoping to accomplish. But, to reduce confusion, I have changed the TEXT label of the type="titlepage" item to "Cover page".
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:57 PM   #17
quinta@ebf.cz
Connoisseur
quinta@ebf.cz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Sorry for too many words. Just trying to get bearings. So type="titlepage" is used just internally... Great information; this is why it cannot be seen anywhere. Still one discrepancy: you repeatedly say that type="cover" is used to point to cover image. But what Calibre evidently do, is pointing type="cover" to html... Anyway, back to the topic of this thread.

Is there possibility, some time in the future, Calibre will treat guide item (or lets say "guide reference") of type cover, when building "Go to..." menu, in the same way as all other types of references? So it will be placed in menu into its natural position, and be displayed under name defined by its "title" attribute?

For guide code:
<reference type="cover" href="cover.xhtml" title="My cover" />
<reference type="toc" href="toc.xhtml" title="My toc" />
<reference type="colophon" href="imprint.xhtml" title="My colophon" />

current menu appearance is:
Quote:
My toc
My colophon
Title page //or mayby Cover page...
(Ok, "Cover page" IMO is better name for cover page than "Title page". But author of epub file will maybe have completelly different idea, and in any case string "Cover page" still cannot be localized...).

So is there possibility menu will appear as:
Quote:
My cover
My toc
My colophon
?

It would be enough just for cases reference type="cover" is pointing to html... (Which actually mean "anytime". Cause when such reference is pointing to image, menu item is not created at all. As just tested.)

Of course, I take into account that "guide" epub feature is not widely used. And so demand for such sort of fixes is small... But, on the other hand, Calibre is defacto standard maker. And features of epub standard will logically not to be used, unless consistently implemented, at least somewhere...

Last edited by quinta@ebf.cz; 03-20-2024 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
quinta@ebf.cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:10 PM   #18
quinta@ebf.cz
Connoisseur

One more discovery:

When guide reference type="cover" points to html which is not first file of reading order (you can see order of files in file list of editor, or in spine section of opf), "Go to" menu item is created "as expected" (on the top of list, and with name as defined in title).
Of course cover page shoud be first file of reading order... So this just indicate that the menu creating process is influented by something else then the guide item type itself.

Last edited by quinta@ebf.cz; 03-20-2024 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2024, 10:53 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I'm afraid not. type="cover" is always going to point to an actual raster image not an HTML page. And "Cover page" is now localizable, in whatever language the book is defined to use.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:55 AM   #20
quinta@ebf.cz
Connoisseur

Ok. Thank you for your time and patience.

Even though - sorry, just last try. I am actually not asking for Calibre not to point guide item type="cover" to image file. Calibre probably needs it in some situations. (Even though I can't find example where Calibre actually do that. What I can see are guide items type="cover" pointing to html... That's not so important.)

What am I actually asking for is just a minor adjustment of "Go to..." menu creating algoritm... So just in case guide item type="cover" is pointing to html (for whatever reason), than the creating of the special menu item "Title page / Cover page" will be abandoned, and instead item type="cover" will be processed in more standard way...

(Also: What is the use of the special menu item "Title page"? Isn't it always pointing into the same page as menu item "Book start"?)

Last edited by quinta@ebf.cz; 03-21-2024 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:07 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre *changes* type="cover" to always point to the cover image as part of ingesting EPUB. So the Go to menu will never see a type="cover" guide item pointing to anything but a cover image.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:52 AM   #22
quinta@ebf.cz
Connoisseur

I see... That was an important point.

Well mayby menu creator can check the original copy of opf... Or mayby the whole Calibre can be rewritten in order not to use innocent guide item type="cover" to internal purposes... Just joking.

Thank you for explanation. The whole this thread has been very informative for me.

Last edited by quinta@ebf.cz; 03-21-2024 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo