Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
Warning--one account per Reader!

Perhaps this was obvious to everyone else, but it took me by surprise. While Sony allows you to register up to six devices (computers and Readers) to one account, each individual Reader can only belong to one account.

A friend and I, who routinely lend each other paper books, each got a Reader with the thought that we would cross-authorize our Readers so that we could share purchased content. It doesn't work--when you try to authorize a reader that's linked to another account, you're warned that you have to de-authorize it for the old account.

So, if you want to share books, you need to share a Sony Connect account, too. Or you could just trade Readers for a while.

When I heard that Sony was allowing six authorizations, I thought they really were trying to make the DRM less oppressive--allowing you to share books with a few close friends without allowing to you to release a book to the world at large. No such luck.

And, with Sony's record, I realize I was pretty silly to think that Sony was the least bit concerned with fairness or reasonable use.

Last edited by readingaloud; 02-07-2007 at 07:29 AM.
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Quick question, how do you even have DRM'd books being in Switzerland. I thought you had to be a US resident to buy from the Connect store???
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
The quickest way for a U.S. resident to get to Switzerland is by airplane. Now that I'm here, I find that the Sony Connect store works just fine.
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
_darius
Enthusiast
_darius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Where did you buy your reader, i'm also swiss and try to get my hands on one of these...
_darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames
Quick question, how do you even have DRM'd books being in Switzerland. I thought you had to be a US resident to buy from the Connect store???
Two methods:

1. Using the (now lapsed) US$50 credit that came with the Reader.

2. Using a Connect Gift Voucher, which some kind board members, such as "Leaping Gnome", very kindly buy for non-US people in exchange for payment via PayPal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingaloud
Warning--one Reader per account!
Actually, it's more a matter of one account per Reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readingaloud
When I heard that Sony was allowing six authorizations, I thought they really were trying to make the DRM less oppressive--allowing you to share books with a few close friends without allowing to you to release a book to the world at large.
The 6 devices per account thing does allow you to share books with a few close friends, they just have to be close enough that you're willing to share your account with them.

What I, personally, find a good deal more annoying is the fact that the one account per device applies to the PC as well -- you can't access more than one account on a given PC. That makes a whole lot less sense to me than the one account per Reader thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
I understand that you can only really have 3 people sharing

My understanding is this:

You can have 6 devices per account

I have my PC and my reader (in Spain)
My mum has her PC and reader (in the UK)
We can add on two more devices, which would probably be my sister, and her PC in the UK also.

It would be hard to get to 1 pc and 5 readers as all of your friends would have to come to your house to "connect" and download books (and not have there own "live" accout)

So realistically unless you live in the same household 3 PC's and readers can share one account.

Andi
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That more or less covers it, Andi.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Like Natch and Andi said it's one Account per Reader, your Reader can't be authorized for multiple accounts but a single account can be authorized for multiple Readers. I have two Readers in my house and only one account and we download Connect books to both Readers all the time.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote