Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #16
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
True, and with the way Amazon has made books so cheap with all the promotions, often even after delivery charges (and that's if you don't get free shipping) paperbooks are so much cheaper, that e-books don't really make sense for most people, especially with the price of the reader itself.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
In addition to economic issues, there may also be a natural seasonal component to their sales numbers, with a drop in production and sales after the holidays. I imagine demand will pick up somewhat as the 2008 holidays approach.
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Not sure that it's the price of eBooks that is killing sales. Amazon's discounts (compared to new books) are significant. Small publishers like mine offer eBooks MUCH more cheaply than paperbacks.

I do suspect that the economic downturn has impacted luxury devices like the Kindle and Sony Reader. That $359 price tag still does stick in my throat (believe me, running a small publisher isn't anything like printing money).

I love the concept of ePaper, but if it really can only be offered at a luxury price, then we need to keep on pushing reading on multiple devices--including PDAs, cellphones, iPods, etc. (Does anyone make a good eBook reader for iPod or Zune?).

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Plastic Logic won't be taking off as soon as that, i think:

Careers galore: http://www.plasticlogic.com/careers.php
They want high calibre scientists. Kovid, spark up a joint and apply!

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #22
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
True, and with the way Amazon has made books so cheap with all the promotions, often even after delivery charges (and that's if you don't get free shipping) paperbooks are so much cheaper, that e-books don't really make sense for most people, especially with the price of the reader itself.
I think over time my Kindle will at least be a break-even proposition for me financially with the number of books I buy. Part of it is the low price on new releases and all the free classics, something readily apparent when looking at the ebook market. The other part of it was not something I truly realized when I decided to buy the Kindle. The free samples keep me from buying books I don't end up reading. I hadn't really thought about how much money I was wasting on books I didn't end up liking until I got the Kindle. When I started reading samples and NOT buying books I know I would have normally bought, I realized that I could likely save a bit of cash with this thing. I bought it thinking it probably wasn't that sensible financially. I think most people evaluating it are regarding it as a splurge and splurging isn't something folks are doing much of these days. Even if they did see the money saving potential of it, parting with $350 right now to save a little bit of money over the next few years is still a hard sell and when people are economizing they're probably cutting back on book purchases, too. They're buying 2nd hand and borrowing more from friends and libraries.

I do think part of the shrinking sales is also that a lot of the people who are going to spend that kind of money on reading have now already bought readers. With the hype of the Kindle release a lot of book lovers that didn't know such things were out there went and snapped up a device for themselves, Sonys and Cybooks as well as Kindles. Even with a good economy I think sales still would have tapered off a bit.

Last edited by Alisa; 06-11-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #23
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
I think the prices of eBook devices are too expensive, especially with the downturn of our economy.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eBook display devices are a luxury that a lot of people cannot afford now that prices for things is being way too high. Cut backs have to be made. And the eBook display device has to be something that's not purchased. If I was looking at the 505 now, I seriously would not be purchasing one. While I like and use my 505 a lot, I don't have to have it. I could use the library to get pBooks like I did before the 505.

The one thing I am doing to save money is using Bostons really good public transportation system more so then driving these days. Saves a lot of money on gas.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #25
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yeah, I miss the "T" Boston has a great system. The DC area does not have a great system. From here it would be 15 to 20 minutes to drive to the nearest carpark, park, wait for a bus, ride for 30 to 45 minutes to the station, transfer, wait for a metro train, and then 45 minutes to an hour to get downtown. No wonder I have a home office and order a lot of stuff over the Internet.

The economic downturn is a lot of people reacting to the higher gas prices and the lingering fallout of the subprime housing market. Meanwhile China and Cuba are drilling just off the coast of Florida for oil while the US prohibits any US company from drilling there. Maybe we can buy the Florida oil from them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have about a 10 min walk to the bos stop where we have a lot of buses come past as it's apart of the route where a lot of the different buses go past. So I don't have to wait longer then about 15 min for a bus. Most times a lot less. Then I get to Forest Hills and usually there is an Orange Line train waiting. It's easy and no using all that gas or having to find a place to park. I love walking. I can even deal in the cold of winter.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:57 AM   #27
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
You are very lucky - Boston is indeed one of the best cities in the world to get around on foot and public transport. As an infrequent visitor to feed my Red Sox craving, I always buy a tourist pass for public transport and spend the days walking around obscure suburbs just to get the flavour of the place.

Roll on the flip-down one-eye ebook reader that will let me do my 10,000 paces a day while reading.

Last edited by Argel; 06-12-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
might get Sony and Amazon to get off their backsides and launch the Readers outside the US.
My thoughts exactly. They need a fresh market.

JSWolf
Quote:
If I was looking at the 505 now, I seriously would not be purchasing one. While I like and use my 505 a lot, I don't have to have it. I could use the library to get pBooks like I did before the 505.
So, if they announce a new prs-510 coming autumn, or 9.7" reader, you are not going to upgrade and you will stay with 505 for a foreseeable future(a couple of years)?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #29
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think over time my Kindle will at least be a break-even proposition for me financially with the number of books I buy. Part of it is the low price on new releases and all the free classics, something readily apparent when looking at the ebook market. The other part of it was not something I truly realized when I decided to buy the Kindle. The free samples keep me from buying books I don't end up reading. I hadn't really thought about how much money I was wasting on books I didn't end up liking until I got the Kindle.
Not to be annoying, but you have to consider that once the Kindle expires - and who knows, 2 years is probably expected to last, maybe up to 5, but for more you have to be really lucky - you have to buy another one to read your ebooks unless you dedrm them.

Or Amazon allows you to change formats if they do a newer Kindle-thingy with a different drm. It may happen, but the history of drm is not optimistic on that and since for now each e-book format is a different book in the eyes of the publishers, I would not bet on that.

And regarding samples, well it's really easy to get them either online or browse in the store. I've bought 70+ books e or p this year, and I sampled most of them before easily, even when I ordered them from the UK not being available here, and you can almost always find excerpts online, sometimes a chapter, sometimes much more...

So for me the argument that Kindle or Sony or any other e-book device saves money is not that convincing, at least if you buy e-books. But while 770 is my main reading device, I started using the Sony more now that is summer and I do some reading outside, and if Kindle would have a promotion like Sony had and come down to 50$, or even 100$, maybe when Kindle 2 is prepared, I would buy one too the way I did the 500.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #30
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Look at the bright side of the "high cost of gas". Pbooks still have to be shipped, i.e. as gas prices go up, pbook prices must also go up. Ebook shipping, on the other hand doesn't need gas, just electrons & bits so their cost should remain constant.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-paper, pvi