Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
can eink readers access shared Windows files?

hi
in my home network i have a pc(win7) where there is a shared folder(no password) filled with every thing , including ebooks. can an eink reader (with wifi) access these files? if yes , which one?
it has to be eink.

thanks
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
How would you normally acccess the file? Through the browser?
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum View Post
hi
in my home network i have a pc(win7) where there is a shared folder(no password) filled with every thing , including ebooks. can an eink reader (with wifi) access these files? if yes , which one?
it has to be eink.

thanks
Not sure about that specific program, but I do know I haven't been able to download books from Dropbox using the browser on my Kobo Touch. I may simply be missing something - I didn't put a whole lot of effort into it.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow24 View Post
How would you normally acccess the file? Through the browser?
in windows , i access the files using their network path. i type in run: //pc-name/foldername) so it opens the folder as if am opening a local drive folder with all the files.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You are pretty much going to have to copy the files onto the ereader. Otherwise, you would have to keep the ereader connected to the pc, even if the reading software will allow you to read an ebook that way. Seems rather pointless, to me.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I haven't tried it, but I believe the Nook Simple Touch can do what you are asking AFTER rooting. Theoretically it should work, but I'm just not sure if the kernel includes the right feature.

I do know that the Nook touch, after rooting works GREAT with Dropbox. I store my calibre library inside the dropbox directory on my home (and work) computer, and my nook touch can access that directory using the dropbox app anywhere I have wifi access (not just at home). This for me is more flexible than file sharing on a home network, that is why I haven't tried the file sharing.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
fsvum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
I haven't tried it, but I believe the Nook Simple Touch can do what you are asking AFTER rooting. Theoretically it should work, but I'm just not sure if the kernel includes the right feature.

I do know that the Nook touch, after rooting works GREAT with Dropbox. I store my calibre library inside the dropbox directory on my home (and work) computer, and my nook touch can access that directory using the dropbox app anywhere I have wifi access (not just at home). This for me is more flexible than file sharing on a home network, that is why I haven't tried the file sharing.
thanks ,great idea ,rooted android . i will only use it at home so idon't need dropbox.
but the problem with nook touch it has no speakers and it is small.

is there an eink ereader with android os and speakers and larger screen(8 or 9")? (i'd like to add color but i think this is impossible)
in this list there isn't
Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use Calibre to manage my library, and can use the browser in my Kindle to get any book I want via Calibre's content server. Since the Kindle can download book files via the browser, any web server app that can serve up your book files will work.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
fsvum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I use Calibre to manage my library, and can use the browser in my Kindle to get any book I want via Calibre's content server. Since the Kindle can download book files via the browser, any web server app that can serve up your book files will work.
using windows file sharing you don't have to download or copy files , you just browse folders and open files as if they are on a local drive.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum View Post
using windows file sharing you don't have to download or copy files , you just browse folders and open files as if they are on a local drive.
I'm not aware of any eink reader that could even see a CIFS share or anything like that, much less directly work with the data on them.
Perhaps with some hacker firmware like Duokan?
Can a rooted nook run SAMBA?

But in direct answer to your original question, "can an eink reader (with wifi) access these files? if yes , which one? "
The answer is yes, a Kindle can, if you access the files by downloading them via some sort of web server, for examble the content server in Caibre. Assuming the ebooks are in a Kindle-compatible format, of course.

Last edited by ApK; 11-09-2011 at 04:25 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote