Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
Comparing Book Availability on SonyConnect vs. Amazon Kindle

The one feature that matters the most to me is how many books I can get in digital format.

I have a list of 22 books that I want to read; many are recently released in the past year.

Of the 22 books, Amazon only has 4 available for Kindle.

Sony has 7.

Sony wins! I won't be changing over to the Kindle until they can beat Sony...
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
It would be interesting to see your list. At least the ones that Sony has that the Kindle doesn't.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
It would be interesting to see your list. At least the ones that Sony has that the Kindle doesn't.
Yup. I am interested as well.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymammoth View Post
The one feature that matters the most to me is how many books I can get in digital format.

I have a list of 22 books that I want to read; many are recently released in the past year.

Of the 22 books, Amazon only has 4 available for Kindle.

Sony has 7.

Sony wins! I won't be changing over to the Kindle until they can beat Sony...

What's really a shame is that publishers put out certain books in a few formats & put out other books in all formats. If they're going to go ahead & put something out as an ebook why only Mobi or only Sony or only MS Reader? Once it's in electronic form it's not really costing them anything but sales.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Once it's in electronic form it's not really costing them anything but sales.
Yes, it seems totally insane to me that a publisher would make an electronic book available to one store and not another. I can understand maybe making a large chunk of newly converted material available to the store that requested them, and then distributing after some exclusive period has elapsed. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the bulk of Amazon's 60,000+ additional books make it to Sony, Mobi and eReader.
That said, I was browsing the New York Times list of 100 notable books of 2007 and then looking for the books that sounded interesting on Connect and I found all of them. That said, I think only about 5 sounded interesting to me.
I do feel like I have better luck with Connect than I ever did with eReader, but it might be that their selection skews one way while my taste skews another.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
The books that were on both Kindle and Sony:

Marisha Pessl--Special Topics in Calamity Physics
Stephen Donaldson--(Various titles)
Michael Flynn--Eifelheim
Charles Chadwick--It's Alright Now

Books that were only on Sony:

Ian Samson--Case of the Missing Books
Rebecca Scott--Ghostwalk
Tawny O'Dell--Sister Mine

The ones that weren't on either:

Justina Robson--Mappa Mundi
Thomas Day--Grey Moon Over China
Suzy Becker--I Had Brain Surgery
Philip Kerr--The One from the Other
Nichelle Tramble--Dying Ground
Thomas Cook--The Cloud of Unknowing
Karen Shepard--Don't I Know You
John Dickson Carr--(old titles)
Roddy Doyle--The Woman who Walked Into Doors
Roddy Doyle--Paula Spencer
Anthony Weller--The Siege of Salt Cove
Liz Jensen--The Ninth Life of Louis Drax
Frank Portman--King Dork
Tim Sandlin--Honey, Don't
Elizabeth Crane--All this Heavenly Beauty
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Thing
Thing began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I was googling the net for Sony reader posts and found this post comparing Sony Connect prices against Amazon back in May (pre-Kindle time).

Well, I decided to recompute the list to check the immediate bennefit of competition (see my comment there) and there were 3 titles out the 12 entries not yet available to the Kindle. Anyway, it's fun to watch the price war

My 2c.
Cheers,
Thing
Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am noticing more people mentioning books they are interested in being available for the 500/505 then for the Kindle. This does bode well for Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote