Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Hm.
May I suggest either Holly Black or Alma Alexander? Both are YA Urban Fantasy.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The neat thing then, about the Fred Saberhagen books is that the first two books can be viewed as merely back story to the newer ones which are set in a roughly contemporary time of the writing:

The Dracula Tape
The Holmes-Dracula File
An Old Friend of the Family (1979)
Thorn (1980)
Dominion (1982)
A Matter of Taste (1990)
A Question of Time (1992)
Seance for a Vampire (1994)
A Sharpness on the Neck (1996)
A Coldness in the Blood (2002)

Susan Cooper's _Dark is Rising_ Pentalogy is also roughly contemporary in time setting.

Divers Down! is set in the '70s of its writing, so may pass muster --- again I'd strongly suggest getting the MP3s, burning them to a CD and listening to them on a family trip.

Other things to try:

Roger Zelazny's _A Dark Travelling_ (parallel worlds w/ a witch and a werewolf) also possibly _Changeling_ and _Madwand_ (a wizards child is brought to a near-future earth, then goes back to the land of his origin)

Higson's ``Young James Bond'' books --- also available as audio books for your holiday travelling

Urban fantasy, especially things by Charles de Lint or from the Ace Fairy Tales series --- esp. the collections _Borderlands_ and _Bordertown_ as well as Jane Yolen's _Briar Rose

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 12-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Holly Black's book have romance in them, though, don't they? Tithe did, at least (it's the only one I've read).

He might like the Artemis Fowl series! Less vampires, more faeries (and trolls). Maybe also Peeps? It's a modern take on vampires, though it does have a bit of romance in it.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does he like SF? I'd suggest giving the Heinlein "Juveniles" a go. I loved them when I was a teenager. Heck - I still do love them!
Seconded.

I'd recommend
The Rolling Stones
Between Planets
Farmer in the Sky
Have Space Suit - Will Travel
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I'd also recommend The Dangerous Book for Boys, but it does not currently come in eBook format
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dan..._Book_for_Boys
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #21
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
How about James Patterson's Maximum Ride series?

Or Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series of books?

I haven't read them, but my 13 year old son really enjoyed them all (and he enjoyed Harry Potter as well).

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 12-06-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Geekette - I'd be happy to give you a free download of my YA suspense novel aimed at teen boys called SNOW BURN

You can use coupon code WQ63N (it expires 12/30/2010).

(and if anyone else on this thread wants to use that code for the free read, feel free to.)

Joel
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #23
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Matthew W. Stover's Heroes Die comes to mind, though it might be a little more mature than you're wanting (in terms of violence, not sex), but I loved it when I was 15 or 16, still do. It's not vampires or ninjas, but it is quite good, and I can definitely see the main character appealing to someone who's a fan of ninjas.

Oh, and Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash, of course, especially if he's at all into computers.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I don't know if these books are available for the Nook, but you might have him look at "Immune" and its sequel, "The Second Ship", by Richard Phillips. Both novels deal with a ship discovered in (where else?) Roswell, NM and have teenaged protagonists who develop special powers because of their contact with the ship(s). At Amazon, one was less than a dollar and the other one very inexpensive.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #25
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Haven't read it yet but I've heard good things about "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Patrick Ness. There is a 25-page prequel called "The New World" this is available free at all the major ebookstores right now, so you could give it a shot.

I was also thinking of the Bartimeaus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud but oddly they are not available on ebook?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Two series missing here are..

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris

Both are very good and very different. I think a 15yo will enjoy both series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #27
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Two series missing here are..

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris

Both are very good and very different. I think a 15yo will enjoy both series.
They're good, yeah, but they both have sexual content in them that I'd personally be wary of letting a teenage boy read. Especially if he had my ereader when he was reading them.

(Also Sookie is a paranormal romance series! And totally written for women more than for men. Dresden Files is better in those departments, though.)

He might like the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane! I was thinking that might work-- they're set in contemporary times, I think (the first book in the 1980s?), and it's got good amounts of action and magic and so on in them.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #28
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
Geekette - I'd be happy to give you a free download of my YA suspense novel aimed at teen boys called SNOW BURN

(and if anyone else on this thread wants to use that code for the free read, feel free to.)

Joel

I downloaded this for my sons. Like the OP, one of my sons has Asperger's so, although he is 21, he is more like a teenager. I would like to get them both into reading more and playing video games less. They have both shown some interest in my Kindle and may end up with their own eReaders if I think they won't gather dust.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #29
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Neil Gaiman's -Neverwhere- is a sure hit. Gaiman is not just an author, but a graphic novel (comic book) author. He has many books that would be suitable.

Isaac Asimov always was a good spellbinder - his I Robot series, or the Foundation Trilogy are great.

Phillip K. Dick has many decent edgy books available.

Perhaps the best hard boiled detective writer ever, Raymond Chandler's works, while not 21st Century modern, are a great read and a glimpse of the very recently lost past of Americana.

These should be a good start.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #30
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post

Joel
Thanks Joel! I just grabbed a copy. I'll let you know what he thinks (if and when I can get him to read it. LOL) And thank you for writing urban fiction aimed at teenaged boys (or at least with them as protagonists.) I was surprised at how little there is compared to the 'girl segment.'

Thanks to everyone, there are some awesome suggestions here! I'm really excited about his reading prospects.
Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, boys, teens, vampires