Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Narrator
Narrator began at the beginning.

Device: Google Books / Android
Using Tables?

Hi,

Is there somewhere I can learn about creating ePub books from docx files which include tables?

I've been experimenting with Calibre and have run into a hitch with tables. One of my documents has a few in it. When I convert it to ePub, in some readers the tables format badly.

I've searched the forums briefly, but all I can find is references to the coding, which I haven't yet tried to learn.

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Narrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
to MR

IMHO as soon as you step past simple text, you will need HTML and CSS coding skills to beat the stuff into a semblance of your desires

e-books are NOT Print books. They flow onto differing displays, using differing manufacturers rendering variations. Always check results on multiple brands of targeted devices One size (stylesheet) rarely fits all

(Tables and DOCX) are neither things I deal with as an end user

(your) Conversion: a place to look
Preferences: Common Options: Look and Feel (side tab): Layout: (change the state) Linearize tables

As a NEW Calibre user
Note: Preferences (in the Conversion Section) are the Defaults for the first conversion of a book (book conversion settings are remembered with the book). Once a book has been converted, changes in the Preferences are not used unless you use the selection in the Conversion Dialog to NOT use saved conversion settings (location and wording change if in bulk mode)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And on the topic of the coding, an excellent beginners resource is Pablo's quick and dirty EPub Tutorial.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrator View Post
I've searched the forums briefly, but all I can find is references to the coding, which I haven't yet tried to learn.
@Narrator - Did you read the manual and study the sample docx ==>> Convert Microsoft Word documents

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
Narrator
Narrator began at the beginning.

Device: Google Books / Android
theducks, thanks for the helpful instructions and advice!

eSchwartz and BetterRed, thanks for the great resources. I've looked at both and plan to give them a good read.

Tried some things from all of the above. Still learning...

Cheers
Narrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm still muddling my way through CSS, but I use these as reference all the time.

Their examples have a TryIt feature so I can play around to see if I'm getting it

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_table.asp
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tables