Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I slipped, and clicked something, and the ebook disappeared.

I know Calibre can't restore the ebooks, and for some reason it doesn't leave copies in the trash, so is there any fix so I can use Calibre without losing ebooks? I have coordination problems.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, calibre is supposed to delete things and put them in the Trash. I don't know why it would fail to do that for you. Unless you deleted many books at a time, in which case calibre will skip the trash.

Normally, there would be a confirmation dialog when you try to delete something, but you might have checked the box to ignore further confirmation warnings at some point, You can undo that by going to Preferences ==> Interface ==> Behavior and clicking "Reset all disabled confirmation dialogs".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, calibre is supposed to delete things and put them in the Trash. I don't know why it would fail to do that for you. Unless you deleted many books at a time, in which case calibre will skip the trash.

Normally, there would be a confirmation dialog when you try to delete something, but you might have checked the box to ignore further confirmation warnings at some point, You can undo that by going to Preferences ==> Interface ==> Behavior and clicking "Reset all disabled confirmation dialogs".
If you delete format files via Remove selected formats (Alt+Del), or right click a format in the Book Details then it's a permanent delete - and both methods allow you to delete all formats... IIRC there was a time when that wasn't so.

And if, as you say, one has ticked the 'ignore in future' box in the confirm delete dialogue then. . . ¡Ay, caramba, they're gone!

IMO, given that removes are sometimes permanent, the confirm dialogue for remove should not be ignore-able.

@MarjaE - I keep the original of all new books in a 'book_acquisitions' folder. At the end of December I will delete all the files in 'book_acquisitions' with a create date earlier than 2015-12-01. By that time I will have 3 library backups - one on a local external disk, another on a commercial FTP server, and another in the cloud.

The existence of the 'book acquisitions' folder has saved me from embarrassment on more than a few occasions, when I've deleted the wrong thing, seriously messed up a conversion, or editing a book, etc etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-23-2015 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Open up your file manager and check your library directory to see if the books are actually there.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:58 AM   #5
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Also: backups.

Backups, backups, backups. Especially if, as you say, you have coordination problems. Hardware can be replaced (albeit at a cost), but data can be irreplaceable. So, backups.

N.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do you NOW have a filter in place (with no results)?

What does the status line at the bottom say? [inside the square brackets]

[### books, # selected, ##### total ] (the green only appears if you are viewing a VL)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
O course I've got backups. It's only the freshly-converted copy in Calbre, that disappeared. A copy turned up in another library. Still, that shouldn't happen by accident.

file manager? filter? huh? My os is my file manager. I'm kinda sick of dealing with special libraries, honestly, though Calibre works a *lot* better than iBooks.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Glad you found your book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
O course I've got backups. It's only the freshly-converted copy in Calbre, that disappeared. A copy turned up in another library. Still, that shouldn't happen by accident.
So it looks as if you accidentally chose the "copy to library (delete after copy)" option. In this case (I guess) since the deleted book isn't truly deleted it never gets sent to the recycle bin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, calibre