Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Brand new Aura HD Stuck Sleeping

So I just got this a few days ago and, when I opened my sleep cover today it said "Sleeping." Tried flicking the power switch...nothing. Tried holding the power switch in for like 20 seconds...nothing.

Any help on this? I tried searching the forums here and din't see anything.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
One thing to try is to make sure it's charged. If you have a USB wall charger (I use the one from my Blackberry) that would probably be best.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try charging it; remember that with eInk the screen will continue to display the last image even if the battery is dead.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, will try that, however, I can't imagine it's dead. I last used it the day before yesterday and it was around 85% (I checked).
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Japes
Addict

If it's dead (the battery), that brings up a whole other level of problems, and, this will be going right back to Kobo for a full refund, and, I will be going back to my unlit Sony PRS-950, which I absolutely loved (except for lack of a front light). If the battery is dead (no reason it should be), it would mean the battery life is atrocious on this machine.

Just don't quite get it, to be honest.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Japes
Addict

Been charging a while now (half hour or more) on my Galaxy Note 2 wall charger (so I know there is plenty of juice) and, I unplugged it and absolutely nothing. Is this dead? Would love some help.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There have been issues in the past with something interfering with the sleep screen, so that the device never really falls asleep.

Please don't overreact; try working with the community to track down the issue.

Do you have an SD card in it?

What level of f/w are you using?

Had you actually charged the unit fully on receiving it?

The batteries do take a few charge / discharge cycles for the unit to calibrate the battery.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Japes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do you have an SD card in it? No

What level of f/w are you using? 2.8 I believe (the latest one)

Had you actually charged the unit fully on receiving it? Yes, I have.

The batteries do take a few charge / discharge cycles for the unit to calibrate the battery.
Any suggestions based on the above?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Japes
Addict

Also, when you say "issues with something interfering with the sleep screen" what do you mean? I have a sleep cover on there and, when I close it, the light turns off. When I open it it turns back on.

I've reconnected my charger, however, I'm wondering if the little light at the top is supposed to be on (because it's not). On most readers a light on indicates it's charging.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Have you tried doing a pin-hole reset? This can force a restart if the device is not responding to the power slider.

The LED doesn't normally come on when charging, at least not on my Glo.

The issue with some sleep covers is they can touch the screen when closing, which can result in the battery being drained even though the device appears to be in sleep mode. The official Kobo sleepcovers don't have the problem as far as I have heard though.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
Japes
Addict

Have been charging all night and, nothing. I've tried the reset button and, nothing. The machine appears to be dead. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
Japes
Addict

Have tried doing factory reset by the way, and, nothing. The light remains flasshing rapidly, but, nothing changes on the screen.

Again, never had this sort of problem with my Sony PRS-950.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Have tried doing factory reset by the way, and, nothing. The light remains flasshing rapidly, but, nothing changes on the screen.

Again, never had this sort of problem with my Sony PRS-950.
Never had this sort of problem with my Kobo Glo either.

I think if the LED keeps flashing it is indicating an error in the boot sequence, which could mean a corrupt firmware image. Did you try to sideload a different firmware version, install a firmware patch, or anything like that?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
Japes
Addict

The firmware is the one that it came with. I did install the patch that everyone else on here seems to have, without any problems. Been using the machine just fine for days, until this happened, even AFTER I installed the patch. I'm referring to the patch that allows you to adjust the bottom margin and font size (for the page number), etc. Seems to be a fully working patch that hasn't given anyone else a problem.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard

Sideloading the wrong firmware can stop the factory reset working, but If it was just a bad patch then I think a factory reset should still work, so that is probably not the issue.

The flashing LED might indicate what is wrong, but I don't know the codes. All I have ever seen myself is a normal boot code, which on my Glo starts with the LED solid blue, then solid green, then slowly flashing green for a few seconds, then stop.