Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKitson View Post
And if finding a publisher isn't bad enough, I can't even find an agent who will read manuscripts.
The agent should be your first priority if a traditional publishing deal is something you're after. It might be changing slowly in the indie ebook era, but an agent is still a critical first step.
(Well, second step, after writing the book, I guess.)

Are you in any writer's groups or associations?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #47
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kitson
Everyone seems to be looking for the next twilight or harry potter and I don't have magic or vampires. And if finding a publisher isn't bad enough, I can't even find an agent who will read manuscripts.
which is a pity and a PITA IMHO.
Altough I show people the reader a lot still prefers paper books, so it is a great loss for the SF- fandom not seeing your book leaning aside Asimovs in the shelves it belongs to.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #48
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David - count me as one reader not interested in the next Harry Potter or vampire/werewolf paramance.

I usually walk into a bookstore these days hanging onto hope and leave utterly disappointed but unsurprised. Thank God for the internet.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The problem with the next Harry Potter etc. is that they are the 'next' rather than the original. Fanfiction is one thing, but a thinly disguised clone of the original book is just that, a thinly disguised clone. When I pick up a book I want an original story not a clone of another book and Turing Evolved certainly gives that. While some of the concepts have been used in other books/stories TE does so in a unique way (IMO). I look forward to any future books in the same world.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #50
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry Potter is one long story, with what amounts to incidental subplots in each book.
I think it's a pretty rich and well told story, though I'm going mostly on my wife's assessment, as I didn't particularly care for the second book, and stopped reading them.
I prefer the movies.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #51
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True it is one long story split into 7 parts, but other authors see how well a given author did with their story and try to replicate the author's success with what amount to clones. You see it often with a story that makes it big. If a vampire story rakes in the $$ everyone tries to get a vampire story published. Of course no matter how good the clones are the original of a story still stands above the rest. When 3 mile island went critical everyone tried writing stories about out of control nuclear reactors, but only one effort did well and that was the China Syndrome, which happened to have already been in production when the accident occurred I understand. Imitation may be the highest form of flattery, but it doesn't make for a good book usually. TE is a very good book(IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Harry Potter is one long story, with what amounts to incidental subplots in each book.
I think it's a pretty rich and well told story, though I'm going mostly on my wife's assessment, as I didn't particularly care for the second book, and stopped reading them.
I prefer the movies.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #52
ApK

Oh...I get it...you were talking about the "the next Harry Potter" not the "the next 'Harry Potter'"
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #53
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh...I get it...you were talking about the "the next Harry Potter" not the "the next 'Harry Potter'"
Yep. Although my main beef is with paramance if I'm being honest - and not just because of the nature of the genre.

When I go into a book store now paramance has taken over nearly all of what was science fiction, fantasy and horror. All the genres I would put up there on top of my reading list have been crushed into oblivion by angsty teens who want to bump and grind with the undead.

Now the genre itself may well have appealed if it hadn't become a "phenomenon" in the way it has. And I can probably still be convinced to read some paramance here and there on the right occasion, but the whole mass replication going on is what I think of as "copywrong".

I had the same feeling about what happened after Dan Brown's book became successful, ie nausea.

OK - people like this stuff and I'm certainly not saying they shouldn't. Just sharing my own personal reaction.

When it dies down again, I'll probably put my toes back into the water. I'm quite partial to vampires and werewolves most of the time.

Regards
Caleb
Old 05-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #54
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

It took me a little bit to figure out that you meant paranormal romance with the word "paramance." I've never heard it called that before. Guess you learn something new everyday.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #55
ApK

I've heard my wife call it 'Urban Fantasy.'
Old 05-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #56
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've heard my wife call it 'Urban Fantasy.'
The vampire/undead thing is not what I think of as urban fantasy I could be wrong. (it has happened once or twice)
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #57
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
Hi APK,

Yes, I am a regular member of the KSP Spec Fic Writer's group in Mundaring, Western Australia. They have spawned quite a few well-published authors in time and have some exceptional talent. I traded many crits with other writers during the writing process.

When I started out writing, I thought it was a case of finish the book and someone will want it. After speaking to many writers I learned the harsh truth about how difficult it is to find a publisher or agent.

If Turing Evolved is successful, perhaps it will make it a little easier to find one. Or maybe not? I would very much like to see it in print, but I realized when I self-published that it will probably never become a p-book.

I am still hopeful that word will spread, others will try it and more will talk of it. I guess I'm trying the writer's equivalent of publishing a song on youtube and at least I get the satisfaction of knowing others are enjoying my work. It's better than the story living and dying in the seldom-read slushpiles of publishing houses that are looking for something less original. Sometimes it appears in the strangest of places, tech forums and the like, bringing a new wave of readers, and a new wave of satisfaction at the response.

It makes the effort of writing it worthwhile

Regards,
David
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #58
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Definitely an interesting concept- there's a lot to like about this book! I've heard there's an edit in the works, and I really hope that's true; I think it would do a lot to elevate the book. My honest review is here.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 AM   #59
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Thanks Grace - I think I'll leave this book for the moment. I've been trying to work out where to put it in my TBR list based on some fairly enthusiastic feedback. However, "mistakes on nearly every page" is not a book I want to read. It would drive me crazy.

Hopefully after the next edit, the experience would be a better one and I can reconsider then.

Last edited by caleb72; 05-16-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #60
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
@GraceKrispy: Great and super informative review. Eats, Shoots & Leaves is a great book as well :P

@Caleb: Yeah. I totally know what you mean about paranormal stuff pushing out the other SF/F. It's really cool that speculative fiction is so mainstream now, but I haven't warmed up to the paranormal/urban fantasy sub-genre. I pretty much started my review blog to respond to the dearth of blogs that reviewed indie SF outside of that subgenre. Even if I did like that subgenre, it wouldn't add as much to the reviewscape since like 30-40% of the book blogs out there already have a focus on paranormal/urban fantasy and are already well-established.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
androids, artificial intelligence, asimov style, love story, science fiction, twist