Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
strange cover issue

so, I was having a terrible 'disappearing page' problem when converting a epub to mobi.
the thread is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130334

I am posting here, because I think the solution to the problem indicates a... i don't know... it's either a very minor bug in Sigil, or just a mistake in the official tutorial... or something. I figure some of you experts can take a look at it and decide if it's worth dealing with.

Anyway, the problem ended up being that when you create a cover using the directions in the tutorial, the cover page 'steals' the header/title declaration of the page you split it from.

I have replicated this to make sure... but yes, when you insert an image, then do a chapter break... the 'new' cover page grabs the header. I can see this being 'not a bug', but in that case, someone really should update the tutorial because it's cost me hours to figure this goofy little problem out.

This then breaks conversion to Mobi, at least, using Calibre, and causes your first section following the cover to no longer appear using a Kindle.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
Suppose you're referring to this:
"Finally, with the cursor in the same spot (i.e., after the image and just before the start of the text) use the Insert -> Chapter Break command from the menu bar"

It would be more accurately stated as:
"After inserting the image, press ENTER to create a paragraph break between the image and the text. With the cursor on the right-hand side of the image use the Insert -> Chapter Break command from the menu bar (or press CTRL-ENTER)."

The reason for this is that (apparently) the chapter break is inserted at the end of the paragraph the cursor is in.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by affa View Post
so, I was having a terrible 'disappearing page' problem when converting a epub to mobi.
the thread is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130334

I am posting here, because I think the solution to the problem indicates a... i don't know... it's either a very minor bug in Sigil, or just a mistake in the official tutorial... or something. I figure some of you experts can take a look at it and decide if it's worth dealing with.

Anyway, the problem ended up being that when you create a cover using the directions in the tutorial, the cover page 'steals' the header/title declaration of the page you split it from.

I have replicated this to make sure... but yes, when you insert an image, then do a chapter break... the 'new' cover page grabs the header. I can see this being 'not a bug', but in that case, someone really should update the tutorial because it's cost me hours to figure this goofy little problem out.

This then breaks conversion to Mobi, at least, using Calibre, and causes your first section following the cover to no longer appear using a Kindle.
My work flow is to do Chapter breaks ONLY at the end of a line of text (or blank line) and never on the image line.
Results are always not what was desired
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Suppose you're referring to this:
"Finally, with the cursor in the same spot (i.e., after the image and just before the start of the text) use the Insert -> Chapter Break command from the menu bar"

"After inserting the image, press ENTER to create a paragraph break between the image and the text. With the cursor on the right-hand side of the image use the Insert -> Chapter Break command from the menu bar (or press CTRL-ENTER)."

The reason for this is that (apparently) the chapter break is inserted at the end of the paragraph the cursor is in.
I believe this to be the issue, yes. And in doing so, the cover page with image will 'steal' the header from the original first page -- in my case, the newly created cover had an invisible header of 'Title Page' that broke most ereaders.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
affa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

Actually, even your fix is not enough. I just tested it... I added several paragraph breaks, then added image at top. Then moved cursor into middle of excessive breaks, and split chapter.

And the cover page still 'stole' the header from the first file (in this case, my title page)--- so my title page had no header, and the cover had the header for the title page, which is what caused the issue to begin with (no first page, broken toc).

From what I can tell, if you add the cover to your first page then split, you will need to check your headers else have a broken epub.
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
AFAIK, your problem is that you don't know, because you're not working in CV (code view) where you are actually inserting the image, and the page-break. If you've inserted the cover INSIDE the header tags, yeah, when you "break" that page, the cover will suck that header right along with it, because they're all (break, cover, header) in the same paragraph. Sigil is doing what it should.

Just turn on CV so you can see what you're doing. Then it's simple. No reason for sturm und drang; if you work in BV, it's like working in bloody Word--you can't see what you're doing, so of course stuff will get bollixed up.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
affa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
AFAIK, your problem is that you don't know, because you're not working in CV (code view) where you are actually inserting the image, and the page-break. If you've inserted the cover INSIDE the header tags, yeah, when you "break" that page, the cover will suck that header right along with it, because they're all (break, cover, header) in the same paragraph. Sigil is doing what it should.

Just turn on CV so you can see what you're doing. Then it's simple. No reason for sturm und drang; if you work in BV, it's like working in bloody Word--you can't see what you're doing, so of course stuff will get bollixed up.

Hitch
My point is more the official tutorial will cause a significant issue. That means either the tutorial is wrong, or there is a bug.

I spent hours trying to figure out what was happening, and there has already been a post since mine where someone else ran into the same problem following the tutorial. I don't know who has access to edit the tutorial, but someone really should... OR, this is a bug, and it should be fixed. Either works for me.

I realize there are always going to be issues to some degree, but having a simple procedure like adding a cover break an epub if you follow a simple tutorial seems a bit much to me.

As a side note, while you're correct that working in code mode is superior to wysiwg mode for the reasons you discuss, that pretty much defeats one of the major goals of sigil -- to allow you to edit epub files in a wysiwyg friendly manner.

Last edited by affa; 05-03-2011 at 07:02 PM.