Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Question about libprs500 crashing

I have 2 questions for any experienced user:
1) If a specific ebook fails to ever load in the lrf viewer (ie crashes - I waited hours for one) mid-way does that mean it will not load on the Sony 505 (which I have ordered but has not yet arrived)?
2) If a specific ebook takes a long-time to load (even half an hour, note that most ebooks I have load in seconds or a minute or two) does that mean it will take that long to load on the Sony 505?

All the books I have fall into the following categories
1) .txt files converted to .lrf with book designer
2) .lrf files from Manybooks.net
3) .lit files with drm removed by convertlit and then converted to .lrf with lit2lrf

So all .lrfs only.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd also try it in the Sony Connect software (available for download) and see if that has problems too - korvid did an amazing job with his viewer, but a 2nd opinion's always useful!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The answer to both your questions is probably. Probably if it doesn't work in the lrf viewer, it wont on the 505, but the internals of the two are completely different, so you may get lucky
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The answer to both your questions is probably. Probably if it doesn't work in the lrf viewer, it wont on the 505, but the internals of the two are completely different, so you may get lucky
Thanks yet again.

I can't wait for my 505 to arrive. Library of ebooks already in Libprs500.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #5
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'd also try it in the Sony Connect software (available for download) and see if that has problems too - korvid did an amazing job with his viewer, but a 2nd opinion's always useful!
Thanks for this also - have you found a difference with this yourself?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
Thanks for this also - have you found a difference with this yourself?
No, but I've not come across any books that show the problems you're seeing & not specifically looked to compare results between viewers. I've only had my reader a short time though so not used it for that many books yet - tens rather than hundreds & mostly conversions from Baen .lit files.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
shousa
Groupie

Thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
shousa
Groupie

Here is a LRF file from manybooks
http://manybooks.net/titles/plutarchetext96plivs10.html

It is Plutarch's biography of Caesar and others.

I cannot get it to load in LRF viewer on two different computers.

Has anyone used manybooks.net .LRFs they seem to crash?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard

It does look a bit dubious - Here it shows in the Sony Reader of a single-paged book (where the title image is that page). You could get the RTF version, but in this case (and, I expect, many others,) the best place to start is in the eBooks on this site - e.g. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10629 :-)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
shousa
Groupie

Thanks a bunch for your comments on this and some other threads.

Hope I can repay the favour.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Plutarch's Lives works for me with the svn version of libprs500, maybe you should try with the next release of libprs500
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Something appears to be screwy with that file. I just downloaded it to try & in the Sony viewer it shows just to cover, with no pages beyond that. In libprs500 4.30 it locked up at 50% when laying out the book. I updated to 4.33 & it did the same thing. So it's not just you.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

If does now with in lrfviewer version 0.4.33 nor does it work in eBook Library. eBook Library only shows the cover page and will not allow page turns. So yes I do think something is wrong with it. But wait, there is a solution. The solution is to get the version formatted by RWood in Harvard Classics XII

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10629
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If does now with in lrfviewer version 0.4.33 nor does it work in eBook Library. eBook Library only shows the cover page and will not allow page turns. So yes I do think something is wrong with it. But wait, there is a solution. The solution is to get the version formatted by RWood in Harvard Classics XII

Just got it! thanks a bunch.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #15
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I have downloaded all the Harvard Classics, even ones that are 17MB work but wouldn't you know it - this is the only one (tested about 20 of them) that does not work.

Maybe Kovid does not like Plutarch? OMG maybe he is censoring us from reading Plutarch?
- just kidding!

Does this work for anyone?