Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Exclamation My Kindle DXi has a crack on its stick

I've noticed a little crack, all across the stick button.

I have no idea how it happened. It was always treated with care and never got out of home. At first I thought it was a hair on it, then I noticed it was a crack.

I've bought it from Amazon, when it was released (the international version). I wonder if this has happened to anyone too. It would be a shame to have to return it, with all associated costs and time. But on the other hand, if for some reason the crack gets worse and inutilizes the button, I can't see how could I scroll the selector cursor.

What would you do in my place?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Do you still have warranty on it? I would call up customer service and talk to them to see if they would exchange it for a new one. I understand that it would suck having to send it back, wait and so on.. but crack on the 5 point curser really dosn't sound good. Potentially over time if it might break off.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
TMPoole
TMPoole began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX/Mobipocket,Astak Pocket Pro, Kindle2, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I've noticed a little crack, all across the stick button.

I have no idea how it happened. It was always treated with care and never got out of home. At first I thought it was a hair on it, then I noticed it was a crack.

I've bought it from Amazon, when it was released (the international version). I wonder if this has happened to anyone too. It would be a shame to have to return it, with all associated costs and time. But on the other hand, if for some reason the crack gets worse and inutilizes the button, I can't see how could I scroll the selector cursor.

What would you do in my place?
Same exact problem on my Kindle2. Called customer support and I had a replacement unit in my hands the following day. If it's still in warranty, they'll send you a replacement unit. If not, see if they'll sell you the part and fix it yourself. There are plenty of video's showing how to pull it apart for a battery replacement. Can't be too much trouble to replace if you can find the part.
TMPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
As others have suggested, ask Amazon for a replacement and you'll get it.

Same thing happened to my DX and it will eventually break apart altogether. The stick that is, not the DX

Having already gotten a replacement DX (carefully timed for a U.S. visit) on account of a s/w error, attempting a second replacement was too cumbersome. Given I live in Malaysia I would have had to ship the replacement unit somewhere else as Amazon will not deliver a replacement set to a non-supported country. Ultimately I just removed the cracked plastic and now operate the underlying stick directly. It ain't great but it works.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just called Amazon (as they told me to do so in the reply email), and they want me to pay, in advance, 560$ to send me a replacement. I've asked why, incredulously and they said it' because I'm an international customer and they have to declare a value to customs. They say that after that they'll refund 100%.

560$ !?!?!?!

Is this normal?! What's your experience?

That's almost 2 Kindle DX!

Why that value? That's
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Over
Wizard

Anyone?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Actually, this is exactly what happened to me, but I'm in the US. I had something like $250 charged to my account and then refunded when Amazon received my original. Keep in mind that this was within the last month when you could preorder a new K3 for $189. Still, the refund really did happen, and I was really impressed that they replaced my unit. I wasn't even the original owner. Very cool
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
Actually, this is exactly what happened to me, but I'm in the US. I had something like $250 charged to my account and then refunded when Amazon received my original. Keep in mind that this was within the last month when you could preorder a new K3 for $189. Still, the refund really did happen, and I was really impressed that they replaced my unit. I wasn't even the original owner. Very cool
I forgot to ask, but did you send the Kindle at your own expenses? Or do they send a box with shipping pre-paid, to get your Kindle?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
I forgot to ask, but did you send the Kindle at your own expenses? Or do they send a box with shipping pre-paid, to get your Kindle?
If you were located in the U.S. they'd give you a bar-code to print (for FedEx, if I recall correctly) which gives you free shipping. You'll need to box it up yourself though.

You being an international customer (I feel your pain...) might possibly mean you have to pay the shipping costs yourself.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
TMPoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
Odd, I just went through this less than a month ago. They overnighted me the replacement unit, told me I had a month to return the old unit or they would charge me $259.00. Seemed fair to me. Got an email when they received the RMA'd unit. I was quite pleased.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #11
Over
Wizard

So, Amazon is asking me the money in advance and to you only after receiving the replacement? Doesn't sound very fair, although I guess that being international and passing through customs make the shipment more expensive, so they play safe. But even so, 560$ is a lot. More than I paid for the Kindle DX + cover at that time (when it was more expensive).

I'm just think this value they're asking is very weird. It just makes me wonder...
Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
Over
Wizard

I've decided not to ask for a replacement. 560€ is a lot of money. It's a pity Amazon can't honor the warranty without asking for an excessive amount of money, even if they say it would be refunded.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
techland
techland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Strange !
My DXG has paint problem ( letters are fading) and i got a very fast refund BEFORE they send me a new one. I'm located in Europe (France).
Different country=different rules ??
techland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
TMPoole

Send it back first.

Quote:
I've decided not to ask for a replacement. 560€ is a lot of money. It's a pity Amazon can't honor the warranty without asking for an excessive amount of money, even if they say it would be refunded.
Do it the other way around. Send your DX in first and let them ship your replacement out after they've received. Shouldn't be a huge problem. They can declare whatever they like, they are shipping your replacement unit instead of a new unit.

I wouldn't put up with a broken Kindle if I didn't have to. You don't.