Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
John D MacDonald is Back!

According to the Washington Post, Random House publishers is preparing to release all of John D MacDonald's original books in both paperback and eBook format. Think Travis McGee and The Busted Flush.MacDonald wrote a series of popular mysteries/thrillers up till his death in the 1980's

The main character in most of his books was Travis McGee who lived on a large boat he'd won in a poker game in Florida. And he helped people recover things that had been taken from them. In fact, it was MacDonald who got me hooked on reading back in the 70's

Details here http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinii...5c6_story.html
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent. I've been waiting for these as ebooks for years!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Thanks for the heads up.

Kindle editions available now on Amazon with Lee Child doing introductions.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Drat - not on Amazon UK .
Old 01-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just checked and it looks like they are all available on the Sony site.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
And Barnes & Noble.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/trav...ee&store=ebook
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Some of them are $12.00.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Some of them are $12.00.
Apache
The highest I seen at the Sony store was $9.59.

My boss has been collecting these in paperback for a couple of years.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
LONG time fan of John D. McDonald and his Travis McGee series! First one I ever read was 'The Green Ripper'. Found it at a garage sale when I was looking for SciFi. Thought the cover looked SciFi-ish. I was pleasantly surprised and went on to become an avid reader of the series. Was somewhat unhappy to hear about his death. Had heard rumors, which have not panned out, that there was to be a final Travis book with 'Black' in the title.

Cheers!

John
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I have been wanting to read thje Travis McGee series for awhile now, and was pleased they were being released as ebooks. However, the price for the first one, Deep Blue Goodbye, started off at $12.99 and has dropped all the way down to $11.99 (on Amazon, in the US). IMO that is far too high for a rather slender book from about 50 years ago. I'll probably snatch it up if I ever see if for $8.99 or less.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
According to the Washington Post, Random House publishers is preparing to release all of John D MacDonald's original books in both paperback and eBook format. Think Travis McGee and The Busted Flush.MacDonald wrote a series of popular mysteries/thrillers up till his death in the 1980's

The main character in most of his books was Travis McGee who lived on a large boat he'd won in a poker game in Florida. And he helped people recover things that had been taken from them. In fact, it was MacDonald who got me hooked on reading back in the 70's

Details here http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinii...5c6_story.html
Never heard of him
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
Never heard of him
You have now!

The Travis McGee Series is in the genre of crime thrillers, and maybe a bit more. Fun read.

John
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
Never heard of him
Good heavens, you don't know what you've missed. Superb series - absolutely superb.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Mostly I agree, Harry, but they do get repetitive after awhile, so the series is best taken in doses. there's a lot of "how badly can we rack over Travis in *this* book?" going on.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
All 21 Travis McGee books are now on my watch list. My yellowed paperback copies have print far too small for me to read now. I'll wait to re-read the series in order when the price per book drops below $9.

I hope the publisher will drop The Deep Blue Good-By (#1) to a persuasive price to get us 'in-order' obsessives started.

I've paid up to $16 for new books from favorite living authors since I don't mind doing my bit to keep them writing. But $8 or so is the limit for dead authors whose books I've already read at least once.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote