Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Anthony1
Anthony1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Convert a folder with multiple HTML files to MOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Kindle doesn't do well with HTML. But I do consider it to be a good master format. Once you've got it right, converting to mobi or epub either one is a breeze. I can convert a typical 300 page novel to mobi in about ten seconds.
Hi Ransom
Please can you assist me?

I have just joined the Mobileread Forum as I wanted to know how to handle a folder with multiple html files. I converted a PDF using PDFConvertor that does that to MOBI but the result was not too good. Then I converted to epub -- not bad at all. Then I converted to html thinking I would go from there to mobi. Now I have a collection of HTML files in a folder

Looking up instructions in Calibre for the following "How do I convert a collection of HTML files in a specific order?" I came accross an example on how to create a table of contents and the following cryptic remark, "Then just add this HTML file to the GUI and use the convert button to create your ebook."
Can you assist me in understanding the steps to do this: I can using the example given and probably generate a TOC HTML file. However I have no idea how to add this HTML file to the GUI.

Alternatively you may have a different way of proceeding once you have a collection of HTML files.

Thanks
Anthony
Anthony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Post moved to it's own thread. The original thread was intended only to discuss a beginners tutorial for Calibre, not to answer questions. Please dont hijack threads with off-topic questions, instead, just open new ones.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Looking up instructions in Calibre for the following "How do I convert a collection of HTML files in a specific order?" I came accross an example on how to create a table of contents and the following cryptic remark, "Then just add this HTML file to the GUI and use the convert button to create your ebook."
Can you assist me in understanding the steps to do this: I can using the example given and probably generate a TOC HTML file. However I have no idea how to add this HTML file to the GUI.
Just drag and drop the file into the library view. Or use the add books- button on the toolbar. Whenever you add a HTML file to Calibre, it will automatically gather up all locally saved (as in "on your computer, not on the web") linked content into the book.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Or, if you like the epub that you already have, just drag that one into Calibre and convert it to Mobi directly.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Anthony1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Post moved to it's own thread. The original thread was intended only to discuss a beginners tutorial for Calibre, not to answer questions. Please dont hijack threads with off-topic questions, instead, just open new ones.
Sorry about that
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
Anthony1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Just drag and drop the file into the library view. Or use the add books- button on the toolbar. Whenever you add a HTML file to Calibre, it will automatically gather up all locally saved (as in "on your computer, not on the web") linked content into the book.
Well I did try just that.
However it seems that when the pdf was converted to html, while all the relevant pages plus a couple of other folders that were generated appear to have been placed in one folder named with the book's title, the pages themselves are seen as separate items by Calibre.

If I drag to "library view"or Add a Book, Calibre accepts the item and reflects its format as a zip file -- which simply confuses this issue even more. This zip is itself just the one page file (pg00001.html) with the following additional files generated:
\TEST\ Directory
content.opf File 1333
index.html File 8664
mimetype File 20
navigation.html File 1362
navimg.html File 633
pg00001.html File 1513
toolbar.html File 3085
\META-INF\ Directory
container.xml File 244

As you have suggested it may be simpler to just go pdf to ebook to mobi but I would in any event like to know how to do this properly via the html files generated in the original pdf to html process

Thanks for any asisstance
Anthony
Old 08-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If there is only one HTML file in the Zip file created by calibre then it means that the other HTML files were not referenced by that one.

If the HTML file you added had included links to all the remaining files then calibre would have pulled them in as well, and treated the whole set as a single book. That is the reason HTML files end up as a zip - an HTML based book consists of multiple files and calibre needs to store each book format as a single file.

It sounds as if in you case you would need to manually creat an HTML file that was simply a list of links to the other files in the right order (in effect a table of contents) and then add this HTML file to Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote