Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
New K3 firmware supports non-Latin dictionaries (Russian, Greek, Arabic)

I did some tests with the new 3.4 firmware for K3 (Keyboard) and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the dictionary lookup algorithm now finally supports non-Latin input languages. (I only tested it with Classical Greek, Russian and Arabic dictionaries, but other languages should be supported, too.)

Depending on the size of the dictionary and whether it has an inflection index, looking up words in non-Latin languages might take a bit longer but it works. However, since the dictionary format hasn't been updated, Arabic letters are displayed as LTR text.

FW 3.4 also fixed the French word segmentation problem mentioned in this post, which made it impossible to look up words like "l’étoffe," and the dictionary window displays up to three lines now.

This might make a used K3 (Keyboard) a cheap alternative for Kindle users interested in foreign languages.

I cannot recommend it for Arabic though, because it only supports text without vowel signs.

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
FW 3.4 also fixed the French word segmentation problem mentioned in this post, which made it impossible to look up words like "l’étoffe," and the dictionary window displays up to three lines now.
Enfin! Very nice Amazon. Thanks for testing Doitsu.
PoP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's also fixed on the Touch, if someone was wondering (like I was when Doitsu mentioned it ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Does this also work on the new kindle paperwhite? as I cannot read Arabic on it other than PDF files.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
Does this also work on the new kindle paperwhite? as I cannot read Arabic on it other than PDF files.
Theoretically, the Kindle PW should also support Arabic .mobi files, unless Amazon removed the Unicode fallback font. If you use Calibre, make sure to select AZW3 as the output format since regular .mobi files don't support RTL languages.

You can also use KindlePreviewer, which will automatically create a hybrid .mobi file.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi+3G
Is there any way to type in cyrillic in Kindle 3 software ver. 3.4?
And what about Kindle 4NT (silver)?
horizon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon21 View Post
Is there any way to type in cyrillic in Kindle 3 software ver. 3.4?
And what about Kindle 4NT (silver)?
No. Out of the box, Kindles only support English keyboard layouts. However, there's a K3 keyboard localization hack for jailbroken Kindles by "Sir Alex" that probably works for FW 3.4, too.
You may want to ask your question in the Kindle Developers forum. If you speak Russian, you can also check out the Russian Kindle forums.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi+3G
Thanks, Doitsu. Sadly, I cannot speak nor understand Russian, as I am Bulgarian. We use Cyrillic, too. I will do some research on the localization hack.

EDIT: Unfortunately, at this point the localization hack does not work on firmware 3.4. In one of SirAlex's posts in the Russian forum he states that he will cease to develop code for Kindle 3 due to the fact that he will focus on Kindle 4NT, Touch and Paperwhite. Someone must take the baton!

Last edited by horizon21; 10-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.
horizon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Theoretically, the Kindle PW should also support Arabic .mobi files, unless Amazon removed the Unicode fallback font. If you use Calibre, make sure to select AZW3 as the output format since regular .mobi files don't support RTL languages.

You can also use KindlePreviewer, which will automatically create a hybrid .mobi file.
Thanks for the reply Doitsu, I tried Calibre and made some AZW3 files, but I got the first page ok on Arabic only, the rest of the pages were messed up, and I don't know if Kindle Paperwhite is accepting AZW3 or not as, the option "Send to my kindle" is not available when trying those files.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Doitsu, I tried Calibre and made some AZW3 files, but I got the first page ok on Arabic only, the rest of the pages were messed up, and I don't know if Kindle Paperwhite is accepting AZW3 or not as, the option "Send to my kindle" is not available when trying those files.
You most likely sent a non-KF8 file to your Kindle and the Arabic text that you saw was the automatic cover that Calibre generated from the first page of your book.

Try Kindle Previewer instead. KP will automatically generate a master mobi file that you can copy to your PW via USB cable.

(You don't need Calibre to transfer files. Simply connect your Kindle to your computer and copy the .mobi file to the documents folder on your Kindle.)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
kim1406
Connoisseur

Quote:
You most likely sent a non-KF8 file to your Kindle and the Arabic text that you saw was the automatic cover that Calibre generated from the first page of your book.

Try Kindle Previewer instead. KP will automatically generate a master mobi file that you can copy to your PW via USB cable.

(You don't need Calibre to transfer files. Simply connect your Kindle to your computer and copy the .mobi file to the documents folder on your Kindle.)
I tried KP to convert an Arabic epub file, it worked fine and it shows the file ok with Arabic letters in my pc without any problem. However, when I transferred it to my PW, it shows the book with Arabic letters ok (connected letters and readable words as supposed to be), but it is from LTR instead of RTL, as seen in the attachment.

it reads
الرحيم الرحمن الله بسم
instead of
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Any solution to this?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LTR.PW.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	94253  
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried KP to convert an Arabic epub file, it worked fine and it shows the file ok with Arabic letters in my pc without any problem. However, when I transferred it to my PW, it shows the book with Arabic letters ok (connected letters and readable words as supposed to be), but it is from LTR instead of RTL, as seen in the attachment.
It looks like you either created a non-KF8 .mobi file or the non-KF8 part of a master .mobi file is displayed by the PW because of a firmware bug.

Try opening my 2 .mobi test files with your PW. If none of them displays the Arabic text correctly, the PW firmware doesn't support Arabic.

If AR_KF8.mobi displays correctly but AR_Mobi7&KF8.mobi doesn't, there's a bug in the firmware.

If both display correctly, there's a problem with your ePub source files.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AZW3_Screenshot.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	94264  
Attached Files
File Type: epub KalilaArTest.epub (11.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: mobi AR_KF8.mobi (34.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: mobi AR_Mobi7&KF8.mobi (44.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
kim1406
Connoisseur

I tried them both, and non of them displays the Arabic correctly. I got same result as my file. It seems that PW firmware doesn't support Arabic. What can I do now, is it possible to have a solution after jailbreaking the device?

thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried them both, and non of them displays the Arabic correctly.
I'm sorry to hear this. It looks like there's a problem with the PW firmware.

Quote:
What can I do now, is it possible to have a solution after jailbreaking the device?
Not really. Even on the K3, only two alternative reading apps supported Arabic:

1. Duokan Lite [Not Duokan 2012] (RTL support was sketchy, for example it wouldn't open your Kalila wa Dimna epub.)

2. fbKindle with Matan's patch (slightly better RTL support, but no support for embedded fonts.)

(CoolReader doesn't support RTL text at all and won't support RTL text in the future according to the developers.)

If RTL support is important to you, you may want to return the PW and either get an older Kindle or better an iPad (or another reader that doesn't use the ADE engine).

You could also mention this issue in the Kindle Developer's forum, but hardly anybody there seems to be interested in localization issues.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Doitsu: No issues with (both) your test files .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_17T18_53_40+0200.png
Views:	331
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	94306  
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote