Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #61
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsp View Post
I have done the same as pilotbob, received the same email and it was delivered to my Kindle keyboard.
My problem now is that news delivered through Calibre via mail will now occupy my Personal Documents folder...
This is an on-going issue.......I talked to/email Amazon w/ some suggestions to make Pers. Docs. more flexible...give'em your feedback.

For now, I'm manually deleting "news" I don't want on Pers Docs.........not a great solution.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #62
Atyaman
Atyaman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
This is an on-going issue.......I talked to/email Amazon w/ some suggestions to make Pers. Docs. more flexible...give'em your feedback.

For now, I'm manually deleting "news" I don't want on Pers Docs.........not a great solution.
Personally I couldn't care less for this feature, but I have an idea for the "news" problem: Amazon's already checking the subject of these e-mails (e.g. pdf "convert") so maybe they could have an option to archive only those pdocs which have "archive" in their e-mail subjects.
Atyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #63
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atyaman View Post
Personally I couldn't care less for this feature, but I have an idea for the "news" problem: Amazon's already checking the subject of these e-mails (e.g. pdf "convert") so maybe they could have an option to archive only those pdocs which have "archive" in their e-mail subjects.
I thought about that, but in reverse (i.e. "noarchive")

With Amazon's stance that you shouldn't use the email service for this sort of content I can't see them doing this.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #64
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I thought about that, but in reverse (i.e. "noarchive").
Better. I suspect that far more Kindle owners don't do news feeds than do. so why make the bulk of us have to type a specific word in our emails? Make the few be inconvenienced. The good of the many outweigh the whinyness of the few.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #65
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Better. I suspect that far more Kindle owners don't do news feeds than do. so why make the bulk of us have to type a specific word in our emails? Make the few be inconvenienced. The good of the many outweigh the whinyness of the few.
I also don't think it would be an inconvenience as the tools that people use (e.g. Calibre) to send "automated" items to the Kindle address are very flexible, so it would be easy for them to have an option to simply add the "noarchive" or similar to everything that they send.
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #66
Daveoc64
Groupie

Ok, one question I have:

Has anybody tried to download a personal document from the Archive on their Kindle while they are connected to 3G, but not connected to Wi-Fi?

I assume that you cannot do this, or if you can it warns you that you have to pay the Whispersync fees.

EDIT: Just tried it and the personal document (.mobi book) downloaded over 3G, no warnings

Last edited by Daveoc64; 10-15-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #67
Atyaman
Atyaman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Nook Classic
Quote:
I didn't say "have to", I've said "option".

Now we have two of these options, enable or disable. There could be a third to archive (or not) what the user marks in the subject. That would be good for you and the whiny few too.
Atyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #68
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Ahhh, and Marxist.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #69
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Ok, one question I have:

Has anybody tried to download a personal document from the Archive on their Kindle while they are connected to 3G, but not connected to Wi-Fi?

I assume that you cannot do this, or if you can it warns you that you have to pay the Whispersync fees.

EDIT: Just tried it and the personal document (.mobi book) downloaded over 3G, no warnings
Are you in the US? Does this also work in other countries to which Amazon ships Kindles and provides Whispersync via 3G? I'm trying to understand whether it's possible to transfer a personal document to a Kindle 3 3G, without Wi-Fi, in such a way that last page read is subsequently kept synchronized. I guess sideloading via USB is not an option for this.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #70
Daveoc64
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
Are you in the US? Does this also work in other countries to which Amazon ships Kindles and provides Whispersync via 3G? I'm trying to understand whether it's possible to transfer a personal document to a Kindle 3 3G, without Wi-Fi, in such a way that last page read is subsequently kept synchronized. I guess sideloading via USB is not an option for this.
I should have mentioned that.

I have a 3G Kindle purchased in the United Kingdom from Amazon.co.uk

Kindles purchased from Amazon.com are shipped with an AT&T SIM card in them. Those purchased from the UK Amazon site are shipped with a Vodafone SIM.

Amazon has different rules for using the 3G depending on whether your Kindle has a Vodafone SIM or an AT&T SIM.

Even if it's not possible to actually download the book for free over 3G, it should be possible to keep the last page synced between your devices for free over 3G.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
That's how it normally works with a proper Kindle book for me.
Ah okay. See I don't use Kindle books without modifying them to more my liking in Calibre. So it's all new to me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #72
g8dhe
g8dhe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle + Nexus 7
Humm, Only just found out about this new facility and I have to say I am VERY annoyed! Just had to get on to the Manage Kindle site and delete 5 pages of Personal documents and change the settings to prevent this - assuming of course that it does really prevent storage and not just hide the fact that they continue to store it. The notification emails are NOT a good place to tell you about a new facility - they just get checked, by title, each morning to ensure that documents I wanted have been sent and then deleted. Storing personal documents is NOT a good idea without explicitly notifying people of the feature, not all personal documents are newspapers or books!

If Amazon pull another fast one like this then they will loose my custom very rapidly.
g8dhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't "send" documents to my Kindle. Not really because of any Big Brother paranoia, but simply because it feels so roundabout. I have the document right here on my computer, my Kindle is always right here within spitting distance of my computer. So why would I want to send my document on some Grand Internet Tour when the USB cable is the shortest (and quickest) distance between points A & B? But I understand perfectly that many enjoy the convenience of a document traversing many network "miles" to wirelessly show up on their Kindle that's five to twenty-five feet away.

So I just disabled Personal Document Archiving. I don't find it necessary to send my documents off to Boarding School before putting them on my Kindle.

I do think they probably should have made the intial default setting "Off" and then instructed people how to turn it on if they wanted it.

* NOTE* My post is all in fun. I don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment of Amazon's invisible—100's to 1000's of miles long—USB cable.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #74
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't "send" documents to my Kindle. Not really because of any Big Brother paranoia, but simply because it feels so roundabout. I have the document right here on my computer, my Kindle is always right here within spitting distance of my computer. So why would I want to send my document on some Grand Internet Tour when the USB cable is the shortest (and quickest) distance between points A & B? But I understand perfectly that many enjoy the convenience of a document traversing many network "miles" to wirelessly show up on their Kindle that's five to twenty-five feet away.

So I just disabled Personal Document Archiving. I don't find it necessary to send my documents off to Boarding School before putting them on my Kindle.

I do think they probably should have made the intial default setting "Off" and then instructed people how to turn it on if they wanted it.

* NOTE* My post is all in fun. I don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment of Amazon's invisible—100's to 1000's of miles long—USB cable.
If you're not for using the 'send to kindle' service to transfer documents to your kindle, it doesn't matter in the least whether you turn the personal documents setting on or off.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #75
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
On another note, has anybody yet tried to have reading position and highlights synced?
I have with a mobi book converted to azw via email (sent from Calibre) and it DID NOT backup anything after deleting it... (also, personal objects on my Kindle still show up in archived items and they continue to do so after having been deleted from the device and redownloaded from the archive)...
Any experiences, any suggestions?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote