Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Very short question for Sony reader users

What factor(s) led up to sony's decision to discontinue their line of ebook readers?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Due to Sony's lackluster marketing, the market didn't realize that the Sony ereaders are the best the market has to offer.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Lack of sales, of course. It's all about the money.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I was a fan from the start, and have to say it's very, very hard to get other people enthused about a machine they don't know anything about, haven't heard about, and can't see for themselves. So I quit recommending them even though I love them because Sony just couldn't be bothered to advertise themselves.

Especially when they all disappeared from local stores and the only place you could see one was the Sony stores. We don't have any locally, so it's a long drive to get to the store, and half the time none of the models were charged and working.

And even though I love them, and might have been willing to buy a PRS-T3 just for kicks before they went out of the business, Sony didn't want to sell me one in the US. It just wasn't worth the hassle of trying to find one elsewhere. Not when everyone else WANTS to sell me their model.

I think Sony lost interest and gave up long ago. Eventually, I had to as well.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i think we can all guess. but i also don't think it's appropriate for us to answer on behalf of sony, as your question suggested. that being said, i think the decline started when most major e-reader manufactures went on to produce lighted e-readers. sony, with its disastrous experience with the lighted prs-700, decided that it would not manufacture anymore lighted models. and they refused even though the technology has advanced enough to the point of satisfying most users. so while most other brands offer at least one lighted model that consumers would rave about, they fell behind. most, now spoiled, would rather purchase a lighted model. sony refuses to produce another lighted model with the up-to-date tech and so people stopped buying sony models, leading it to exit the consumer market.

that's just too bad, because i love the stability of their firmware. i even recently bought the T2 (on sale) and am using it regularly despite having also purchased the kobo aura hd a few months earlier. i just have to sit in a location with adequate lighting now.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i just have to sit in a location with adequate lighting now.
Hi rem736, I am the proud owner of both the T1 and T2 (also bought on sale @ TigerDirect) and love to read in bed before retiring for the evening. I have owned a direct lighting source to read by since my old navy days w/a little product called "Mighty Bright" reading light. Cheap price and really gets the job done. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjttZUkFs6c
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What factor(s) led up to sony's decision to discontinue their line of ebook readers?
Even in the best of times, eReaders were a niche market for Sony. They can maintain an "under-performing" niche market when they're healthy, but Sony is in trouble right now. They jettisoning a lot of products -- not just their eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I think Sony lost interest and gave up long ago. Eventually, I had to as well.
I think it's more than "losing interest." They just couldn't compete with Amazon and (to a lesser extent) Barnes & Noble. They used to be fairly easy to find, Best Buy and Target both carried Sony Readers for several years. I can't remember for sure, but I think Office Depot and Staples also carried them, at least for a while.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
i think the decline started when most major e-reader manufactures went on to produce lighted e-readers.
I think the decline started well before front-lit eReaders hit the market. I think when Amazon started subsidizing Kindles (and Barnes & Noble followed them), that's when Sony started to really decline. Their Reader market just couldn't compete with Amazon's and Barnes & Noble's markets and Sony didn't have the market to subsidize them.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Hi rem736, I am the proud owner of both the T1 and T2 (also bought on sale @ TigerDirect) and love to read in bed before retiring for the evening. I have owned a direct lighting source to read by since my old navy days w/a little product called "Mighty Bright" reading light. Cheap price and really gets the job done. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjttZUkFs6c
I use an E-Luminator from M-Edge. Also cheap. You can find them for under $5 on eBay now (which includes shipping) -- or at least you could a month or two ago (haven't checked recently). ... Quick check ...

... Yep, they're still available for under $5. From this seller (below) and from several others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Edge-e-Lum...item258bb816c2

I like the fact that they start blinking every hour so you remember to get up and walk around a bit. But, unlike the Mighty Bright, these do require some kind of case -- I just slip them over the front flap when I have bent back for reading.

I also bought T2s from Tiger Direct. Nice eReaders.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-13-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
i like the idea of a portable book light. and i even got one from verilux. but the unevenness of how the light hits the screen and the glare it produces off a single narrow area are real detractors for me.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
i like the idea of a portable book light. and i even got one from verilux. but the unevenness of how the light hits the screen and the glare it produces off a single narrow area are real detractors for me.
While I absolutely still love my Sony 350s as the best reader, I hated having to carry around the extra bulk for a light. I have the Sony case with light, but it's a bit bigger and you still need to carry an extra battery for it. Attachable lights were even worse with carrying the light and the battery. That's the main only reason I gave in and got a Glo, for the front light. The size is almost as small as the 5" Sony and no more worrying about extra batteries.

Sony's lack of advertising (I think they did some ads for the x50 line, but I don't remember seeing anything after that), and then their short-sighted view on incorporating a front light into their readers was the final nail.

I could care less about an integrated bookstore and it's not a selling point for me at all. I prefer to buy all my books through my PC to keep them in one place, from wherever I get the best price, and then just convert if needed (when purchasing from Amazon) to send to my ereader of choice.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The E-Luminator seems to have pretty even (diffused) lighting. I like that it has three brightness settings.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Hardly anyone is interested in paying top-dollar for a device without a front-light. Somebody high-up in Sony messed up. Shame for the people who lost their jobs.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The comments on device lighting are interesting.

I have no interest in having my 950 with a light capability.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote