Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
BR meant exactly what he wrote
Sorry, but it wasn't exactly clear that you meant for the "-" to be typed and wasn't punctuation. The only reason I considered it was that you had a "=" in the set to today example.
Quote:
After I press F2 on ANY editable cell in the spreadsheet the content of the cell is always selected - to un-select it I must press home, end, left arrow or right arrow.
Well, if you press F2 on a date, only part of the date is selected. When I tried this earlier, I automatically selected the rest of the field before pressing the minus.
Quote:
There is no need to check anything. To clear a date just press the F2 key, followed by the '-' key, followed by the Enter key; use the '=' to set to today. If you change your mind exit the cell edit with Escape.
Personally, that is much clearer than what you originally wrote and why I expanded on it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Aaah I see, both davidfor and HFC3 missed the subtlety of my italics

I use italics to avoid the confusion of putting things in quotes

Maybe underline would be better than italics, but not all BB boards support underline.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-08-2013 at 08:42 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And an italic = or - does not really jump out of the screen !

== --

Can YOU tell the difference in the line above?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
And an italic = or - does not really jump out of the screen !

== --

Can YOU tell the difference in the line above?
No, but that's not what I wrote -this is what I wrote

You can clear a date in the spreadsheet by highlighting the field, then press F2-enter

You can set a date in the spreadsheet to today by highlighting the field, then press F2=enter

If people can't see the italics then they should probably increase the font size in their browser, in firefox & chrome that's done via ctrl/num+

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yes.... I can (and do see) italics on the F2 and the Enter; the challenge is that it's not at all obvious that the hyphen and equals key were to be included in the keystrokes.

I'll butt out now
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
HFC3
Enthusiast
HFC3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
"-" made the difference. I took "F2-enter" to be >F2< and >Enter<.

I'm curious why that would make a difference programatically.
HFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC3 View Post
"-" made the difference. I took "F2-enter" to be >F2< and >Enter<.

I'm curious why that would make a difference programatically.
f2 = edit mode
the - causes the clear (unspecified)
Enter (mouse click outside the field) ends the edit mode
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
HFC3
Enthusiast
HFC3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I type keystroke instructions like this; >F2< "-" >Enter<. Or, maybe >F2< >Hyphen< >Enter<. I typically use >< surrounding actual keys and "" surrounding literal keystrokes when I have to enter keyboard commands.

This is what I call "Mom Proof". LOL I wrote an instruction manual for an inventory control program I wrote in High School, and tested it until I was (literally) blue! Mom took it, and complained that she couldn't read all the information since it was jammed into a little field.

Mom's! I said you had to press >Enter< after each field; Product Code >Enter< Product Name, etc. "But that's not what you said in the instructions!". E-gads!

Of course, this was in 1980 when computers were still unknown, but I mean really. Parents can be such a burden LOL

This especially helpful if the literals needed are the same as a key abbreviation; for instance what if it was F2F2enter? >F2< "F2" >Enter<? This way it's obvious (at least to me. Well, Mom, too)" that the first F2 is a key and the 2nd is the letter F and the number 2.

BetterRed. your "F2-enter would have probably been OK except that "-" kind of hides. Part of the confusion is that - is such a little character

Even so, the goal was accomplished, and we now know how to remove a date! I'm definitely not complaining because I needed an extra push (kick) to understand instructions.
HFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote