Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Sony Preparing New E-Book Reader to Challenge Amazon

Quote:
Sony Corp., Japan’s largest exporter of consumer electronics, plans to introduce a line of upgraded digital book readers in the U.S. as early as next month to challenge Kindle-maker Amazon.com Inc.

The Sony Reader, priced from $180 to $300, will probably be offered with hardware and software improvements in August, Phil Lubell, vice president of digital reading at Sony Electronics, said yesterday in an interview in San Francisco.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ge-amazon.html
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
jrnemanich
jrnemanich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Yes! This is great news. I'm about to enter the e-reader market and I love Sony's hardware. I was dismayed when people were talking about the end of the Sony reader. I thought I would have to go to Nook with their second class treatment of user's own content. I can't wait for more information to be released.
jrnemanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
ranma
ranma began at the beginning.

Device: none
$180 for lowest model is pretty high if compared to nook 2 and kindle 3.
Both of them are lower than $140.
ranma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
jrnemanich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranma View Post
Yes, I agree that the price, if true is too high. If Sony want's to complete on the mass market they need to get their lowest model down to at lest $140 USD or even better $130 USD.

According to Mashable,
Quote:
A Sony rep says the Bloomberg story is inaccurate. “We have not released any pricing, timing or features of a new Sony Reader,” the Sony rep says.
http://mashable.com/2011/07/14/sony-ereader-august/

Last edited by jrnemanich; 07-14-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
jrnemanich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranma View Post
Yes, I agree that the price, if true is too high. If Sony want's to complete on the mass market they need to get their lowest model down to at lest $140 USD or even better $130 USD.

According to Mashable,
Quote:
A Sony rep says the Bloomberg story is inaccurate. “We have not released any pricing, timing or features of a new Sony Reader,” the Sony rep says.
http://mashable.com/2011/07/14/sony-ereader-august/
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
EBookBro
Banned
EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
The market is saturated with E-readers. Does Sony really need to do this?

[spam edit - moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 07-15-2011 at 02:48 PM.
EBookBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
We don't yet know what one is getting for the extra outlay? A 350 is a bit small for wifi to me, but who knows!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
bumblesby
bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Great to hear - finally! I think the article meant the CURRENT prices of their eReaders. It says "The current Sony Reader, now priced from $180 to $300, will probably be offered with hardware and software.."

Quote:
I don't understand this comment. Sony has been in the eReader business for many years. It is not just entering the market. IMHO they still have the best software on the reader from what I have seen on the new touch models coming out from other brands. Well, at least features that I enjoy anyways.

Last edited by bumblesby; 07-14-2011 at 05:10 PM.
bumblesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I like my 350, and I liked most of the sony readers I've owned. (Although the 600 and 900 sucked due to their fuzzy screens.) However, given their track record in the USA market I'll never buy another one. This last round of readers were difficult to find as were their accessories. I don't see that changing.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBookBro View Post
Perhaps Sony want to produce premium devices? Sony stuff isn't usually the cheapest and they do alright.

It's broadly said (and of course there are exceptions) that the Sony ones are the best, apart from not having Amazon's backing and not having the wifis. If they can take on both of those fronts then I think it'll be a winner.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sony is definitely a legend in their own mind, and perhaps the minds of some fanboys. But I really don't buy that argument about their readers being better built than all the other brands. Their desktop software and device apps are the worst in class. They have no wireless syncing capability due to lack of WiFi, at least on the 350 and 650.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I like my 350, and I liked most of the sony readers I've owned. (Although the 600 and 900 sucked due to their fuzzy screens.) However, given their track record in the USA market I'll never buy another one. This last round of readers were difficult to find as were their accessories. I don't see that changing.
Quote:
Sony is definitely a legend in their own mind, and perhaps the minds of some fanboys. But I really don't buy that argument about their readers being better built than all the other brands. Their desktop software and device apps are the worst in class. They have no wireless syncing capability due to lack of WiFi, at least on the 350 and 650.
Seem to have been supply problems in the US but here in the UK my local Waterstones has had them available almost continuously, currently 20+ each of 350 and 650 in various colours in stock, cases have been a little irregular but both lighted and basic generally also available.

As for Wi-Fi, no interest personally as I've never had to buy a book standing in the street, in a coffee shop or a book shop and I have a cable permanently ready for reader use... their software lets me buy books and use a library when I wish and for the rest, well I've always found calibre better for my use than any readers' software...

Different strokes for different folks...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Spoken like someone who has certainly never owned one, and likely never even held one. Take it from someone (me) who OWNS two of them, as well as a PB360+, K3, and Nook STR....they are ALL inferior (significantly) in terms of fit and finish to the Sonys. In fact, I hardly (if ever) read on anything other than my 350 or 950.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post

Different strokes for different folks...
This is the best comment on the subject.
I love my Sonys, and will continue to buy them as long as they are available. If the Kindle were available here in Canada when I first began ereading, I might be singing a different tune.
We've got fans of all of the various eReaders here on MR, and some, like myself are infected with a bit of fanboyism for their own preferred devices.
As far as I'm concerned, every new dedicated eink reader on the market only increases the spread of ereading on the whole.

Vive la différence!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am in Canada too. I think they will likely have to lower their prices, at least some to compete. We now have the Sony 650 and the new Kobo touch at our house and I have been impressed with the new Kobo. It is really nice to be able to download books on the device, especially for my 10 year old and then change the font on the fly to anyone I've copied on to the device and then still have the touch screen. My son also likes the reading statistics and awards section which as a parent I like too since I can check it and see if he has done his reading for the day. Pretty neat.

Anyways, I'll be curious to see what Sony does as they are quite popular here in Canada as they are actually available in stores here where most other readers are not.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote