Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
German-English dictionary?

Can anyone suggest a German-English dictionary for the Kindle? That is, one that can be used as a default dictionary so I can look up words from books.

I can de-DRM it, so it doesn't have to be from Amazon - but it's probably best if it's in .prc format (I don't know how well a dicitonary may convert)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
cwbeekhuis
cwbeekhuis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hi there, I have been trying to get a German-English dictionary for quite a while. I finally got one from Mobipocket, but following the various Internet instructions on how to make it readable/usable on my Kindle failed. If you have found a dictionary and/or a working method to get it to work on your Kindle, that would be most appreciated!
cwbeekhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
This worked for me with an Oxford-Duden German-English pocket dictionary:

Post 28 and onward:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60103&page=2

I'm afraid I have no other suggestions.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Hal_9k
Hal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Just to let you know I bought the German - English, English - German PONS dictionary from Mobipocket.com. I had to download the Mobipocket Reader program to get the PID (found in the Help menu). Helpfully the program also works under Wine 1.1.42, for those using a Linux-based OS.

There is a python script that you can use to strip the DRM with the PID so it works on the Kindle. The dictionaries can be set as the default dictionary, for the quick-lookup feature. However the Kindle also seems to be programmed to detect which language the mobi file is in, and selects the dictionary accordingly. When I read something in English the Kindle uses the Oxford dictionary, when in German it uses PONS. I have used the dictionaries for a little while, and they are certainly a step up from my Collins paperback German for Learners.

I recently also bought the PONS Deutsch als Fremdsprache Großwörterbuch from mobipocket.com, which is also recommended.

Last edited by Hal_9k; 02-27-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Clarified some points
Hal_9k is offline   Reply With Quote