Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your gender ratio/bias?
I don't care about the author's gender, but I read much more male authors 30 33.33%
I don't care about the author's gender, but I read much more female authors 6 6.67%
I don't care about the author's gender, and I think it's not far from a 50/50 ratio 17 18.89%
I prefer male authors 5 5.56%
I prefer female authors 4 4.44%
I prefer male authors, but read more female authors 0 0%
I prefer female authors, but read more male authors 0 0%
I try to read an equal number of books from both genders 1 1.11%
I don't care about the author's gender, and I've no idea what ratio my books have. 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Author's gender: are you biased?

A certain person told me that he made an effort to read as many male authors as female.

This is a little bit odd for me. Should we be politically correct even in our reading choices? Am I being narrow minded if about 85% of my reading material in the last 2 years are from male authors?

I don't choose a book by its author gender, but I certainly know when I'm reading a male or female author... And usually prefer their (male authors) writting style and how they construct their male characters. That's important, because I try to relate with the main characters and being male, I do that better with male characters.

I'm not saying male authors are better than female ones. Far from truth! Some of my favourite books were written by female authors. But I can't find any other reason for the simple fact that most of my reading material are from male authors. Should I fix that?

What about you? What's your male/female author ratio?

Last edited by Over; 05-11-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Intriguing - Just looked at my bookshelf and there seems to be a slight bias to female authors, particularly in the thriller books............
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Can't say I've ever thought about it consciously, not once. I usually go for titles of books, or an interesting blurb, or someone I'm familiar with. Just looking at some of the pbooks I have left on one shelf -

Ray Bradbury, Thomas Wolfe, John Steinbeck, Shirley Jackson, Katherine Anne Porter, Anne Tyler... seems to be about equal, give or take.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
never consciously considered this as an issue ... a female author is less clumsy with secks ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, very intriguing question, over. i haven't thought about it lately, although i remember many discussions during my university litterature courses about the dominance of "dead white men" in the standard reading lists (which we tried to remedy of course).

just trying to think back (totally unscientific...) i think i read about 50 / 50 men and women authors. but i agree with you that good (plausible) characterisation is important, so i don't enjoy authors who write women characters who seem unconvincing (as women). then again, i often feel an affinity to men characters as well, depending on the book, and they also must be well-written. but, some of my favorite male characters have been written by women. perhaps they (intentionally or not) are written with a feminine aspect which appeals to me. i'm thinking particularly of Fred Vargas' books (she's a woman writing mysteries) ; she writes really fascinating, well-defined, complex characters, many of them male, but all of them very well drawn i think.

anyway, i know that i don't pay attention to the gender of the author when i choose a book. and sometimes it can be misleading ; for instance, Fred Vargas is writing under what looks like a man's name, but in fact it's a nickname for the french (women's) name "Frédérique".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't have a bias (intentionally), but now that you ask, I think 9 out of 10 books in my (virtual) bookshelf are written by male authors...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I can't vote for any of them, because "I look at title first and author second" isn't listed. Nice thoughtful poll, however.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I can't vote for any of them, because "I look at title first and author second" isn't listed. Nice thoughtful poll, however.
sure you can vote ; you would choose one of the "i don't care about gender but.." options, depending on what it turns out to be.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
For a while I liked female authors in SciFi because only the better female authors were doing well in that genre but now I usually don't check for gender, just names I know I like and it seems like about 50/50.

BTW the reason I read mostly SciFi is that when I started reading a lot, that genre was difficult to make a living in, so only the best survived. Since "Star Trek" & "Star Wars" movies, that has changed and i've been branching out into other genres.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I chose "I don't care about the author's gender, and I think it's not far from a 50/50 ratio", with the emphasis very much on think, as I haven't checked and I really haven't the foggiest. But doing a quick mental check brings up about as many of both genders. It's not something that is an influence in whether I buy a book or not though.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You missed an option.

"I don't care about the author's gender, and I've no idea what ratio my books have"

However, since it's not there, I've taken a quick look at my library. Most of the books I've read are by male authors, in about an 80:20 ratio.

I suppose a relevant question would be - what's the ratio of male:female authors over all published books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
What about you? What's your male/female author ratio?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I just checked the author list on my Sony Reader and over 80% of them could be either (by name.) A lot had just initials and the rest had names that are used for both male and female. Then again the last two "Sam"s I have met were female.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
In my later teens I think I did gravitate towards female authors a good deal... I had this crazy notion that if I spent the time to read books from a woman's perspective I might fare better with the opposite sex... Didn't work out that well, but I did get to read some good literature...

These days I don't care one bit who wrote a work... Regardless of sex, race, religion, sexual preference, etc... But when I say that, I actually mean that, unlike those that compensate and go full bore politically correct and really buy works motivated by those distinctions... (Just not in a traditional method)

Just a quick check on my reader, all works are from the male side of things except for two. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Though two of the men are named Terry... (I actually thought Terry Pratchett was a woman for years, there was also a female author who I always thought was male but her name slips my mind)

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I read a lot of sci fi and a lot of that is the "military" type (David Drake, John Ringo and so on), but a lot of the study of religions, women's issues are female authors. it still comes out as mostly male authors, but certainly not deliberately!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
....there was also a female author who I always thought was male but her name slips my mind.
George Eliot?

I've found gender doesn't matter with great authors; but it becomes more of a problem the further down the literary scale you go.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote