Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Smile Bookworm: an online ePub reader

I'm not sure if this news was posted here, but since I'm excited about the idea, I copy the announcement here. Please note I'm not in any way affiliated with the project.

To coincide with the first launch of ePub books by a major publisher, Liza Daly is happy to announce the open beta of Bookworm, a web-based reader for the ePub ebook format.

Unlike most other ePub readers, Bookworm allows for full use of stylesheets and images, which is especially critical for technical books which include HTML tables and code samples.

More information in the original post.

On a related note, a mobile version of the reader was released a few days after.
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
liza
Ibis Reader / Threepress
liza doesn't litterliza doesn't litterliza doesn't litter

Device: Pretty much all of them
Hello everyone, I'm the author of Bookworm! Please feel free to make suggestions about the site -- it's in active development and I'm always looking for feedback.
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza View Post
Hello everyone, I'm the author of Bookworm! Please feel free to make suggestions about the site -- it's in active development and I'm always looking for feedback.
There is a wiki entry on Bookworm. You might want to fill it out a bit. It is currently pretty slim.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I do believe that Sony Connect for the PC will read ePUB. It is free.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
I do believe that Sony Connect for the PC will read ePUB. It is free.
Are you sure? I think it uses Digital Editions to actually read ePUB and so far I don't think Sony even sells ePUB. Adobe Digital Editions is free.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Are you sure? I think it uses Digital Editions to actually read ePUB and so far I don't think Sony even sells ePUB. Adobe Digital Editions is free.
See Sony's Windows ebook Reader. The first two screenshots are for an ePub, and the Sony version seems to be using the PRS-505 version of Digital Editions rather than the Desktop version. They are obviously very similar, and both are free.

What I like about Bookworm is that it is close to a complete implementation of ePub from someone other than Adobe (it does not fully support SVG though). Its downside is the requirement for a web browser and Internet connection.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Sony's Windows ebook Reader. The first two screenshots are for an ePub, and the Sony version seems to be using the PRS-505 version of Digital Editions rather than the Desktop version. They are obviously very similar, and both are free.
Don't you have to install DE either way... to Register the PC/Reader and download the ebooks. Or is this built into the Sony software now?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Don't you have to install DE either way.
I have not tried Sony's Windows reader on a DRMed ePub - my tests were with DRM-free ePubs. I already had ADE installed, so I don't know if Sony's Windows reader requires ADE to read DRM-free ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm guessing it doesn't support page breaks since it uses a browser engine for rendering?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Unhappy

[QUOTE=DaleDe;268408]Are you sure? /QUOTE]

No, not now. I cannot find the file I thought was ePUB. I remember it was a file I couldn't download to my 500, so I opened it up in the eBook Library (2.2.00.18100/BR)--and I thought to myself, wow, neat; this is ePUB. But I pursued it no further. Apologies.

You must understand, though, my memory has been discombobulated by reading too many MR threads.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
liza
Ibis Reader / Threepress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm guessing it doesn't support page breaks since it uses a browser engine for rendering?
It doesn't break pages except at the XHTML file level, no. It's possible I'll do a different UI in the future which renders just to the visible screen level but it's not a priority right now.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
liza
Ibis Reader / Threepress

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
What I like about Bookworm is that it is close to a complete implementation of ePub from someone other than Adobe (it does not fully support SVG though).
The only way in which I explicitly do anything with SVG is if the ePub includes content with inline img tags that have .svg targets. This was the case with Adobe's test ePub document that was widely circulated. Neither Firefox nor Safari were able to handle that at the time I tested it (June 2008) so for those targets I re-write the ePub to link to it as an external resource. This works natively in both those browsers; I'm not sure about IE 7.

I'd love to see some other examples of ePub+SVG in the wild so I could improve the experience. If you have one please consider sending it to me.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't break pages except at the XHTML file level, no. It's possible I'll do a different UI in the future which renders just to the visible screen level but it's not a priority right now.
I'm guessing you don't plan to write a standalone EPUB reader? Because that's something on my TODO list, that I will be happy to shed
Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
liza
Ibis Reader / Threepress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm guessing you don't plan to write a standalone EPUB reader? Because that's something on my TODO list, that I will be happy to shed
Nope, I don't do GUIs. The only sensible thing is to start with WebKit, though, or you'll end up with something like Stanza that only supports a subset of tags.

(I do know that the One Laptop Per Child project has a very strong interest in a standalone, open source ePub reader. If you'd like me to put you in touch with them sometime just drop me an email.)
Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Nope, I don't do GUIs. The only sensible thing is to start with WebKit, though, or you'll end up with something like Stanza that only supports a subset of tags.

(I do know that the One Laptop Per Child project has a very strong interest in a standalone, open source ePub reader. If you'd like me to put you in touch with them sometime just drop me an email.)
Yeah, it would be based on Qt WebKit, calibre already has an LRF viewer. ANd the new viewer will be a viewer for LIT, MOBI and EPUB. It's not going to be standalone though as calibre has a lot of infrastructure that I will take advantage of.